Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The difference is that those vaccines work and don't cause the disease they are supposed to prevent. While the CDC swears up and down that the flu vaccine doesn't cause the flu, I've known too many people who got the flu shot then BAM got the flu to believe that.

Remember that the flu vaccine does not prevent all flu, only the strains in the vaccine. It may provide partial protection against other strains that are closely related to the ones in the vaccine.

Also, if the vaccine is given after exposure or exposure occurs soon after the vaccine is administered, it will not have time to work. It takes about two weeks to become effective.

The vaccine itself does not cause flu.

Just because someone develops flu symptoms after the vaccine does not mean the vaccine caused those symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
Just for discussion...

Anyone around in the early days and even later knew many things were considered harmless or low risk... some even said the benefits of smoking outweighed the risk.

A parent of a friend of mine had parents that owned a shoe store... they actually had an x-ray powered machine to measure shoe size... it was deemed safe.

We use to douse people with DDT and now we don't...

Medicine is more than science... it is also an art.

People with the best of intentions can change as discoveries are made... some of what is thought of as prudent, safe and even mandatory has later been found wanting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope

Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Remember that the flu vaccine does not prevent all flu, only the strains in the vaccine. It may provide partial protection against other strains that are closely related to the ones in the vaccine.

Also, if the vaccine is given after exposure or exposure occurs soon after the vaccine is administered, it will not have time to work. It takes about two weeks to become effective.

The vaccine itself does not cause flu.

Just because someone develops flu symptoms after the vaccine does not mean the vaccine caused those symptoms.
You make and excellent point and one that is the topic of many vaccine discussions in the medical community.

People receiving the flu vaccine often succumb to a false sense of security that may actually increase exposure and/or risky behavior.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-10-2012 at 06:06 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
I am aware that the local police require certain vaccine shots. But of course they also pay when someone gets sick their normal pay. I would thnik if yopu were not paid for sicjk the you might have a legal standing fro the reqirement.Same with work physical i different situations;can be ablout liblity of employer now days.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Still do not know a single person that died from the flu... doesn't mean there aren't any... just strange living in a major metro area like the SF Bay Area.
They are happening:

Fourth A/H1N1 flu death confirmed in U.S. San Francisco Bay Area - Trend.Az

Quote:
I think the prudent thing would be to proceed with caution...

You are 100% correct... the vaccine may only be a contributing cause... just look at the tragedy to those poor people and their families from an error at the New England Compounding Lab... deaths across the country because of defect in manufacturing.

Also, there is a mercury free preservative free vaccine available... I asked for it and was told by my employer it is not an option...

Funny thing is all the Doctors I work with only take the preservative free vaccine and that goes for their children

People do die or become debilitated from the Vaccine and it is very real for those affected... no matter how small pool... The government actually collects 75 cents from each dose to pay claims...
You are clinging to the misperception that the vaccine has risks that are really not there. It does not have a significant risk of death or debilitation.

You may ask for mercury free vaccines if you wish. There is no scientific evidence that they are safer.

The New England Compounding Lab event happened due to problems with the production of preservative free products. Their handling of the drugs was defective. The drugs themselves were not the problem.

The vaccine compensation fund was set up because drug manufacturers were ready to stop making vaccines. It is not there because for some reason vaccines are inherently more dangerous than other drugs. Since 2005, there have been 54 claims made to the compensation fund for deaths related to influenza vaccine. That is just claims, not those that have been awarded compensation. That is less than 10 claims per year out of millions of doses of flu vaccine administered.

The risk of debilitation or death from influenza is many times greater than a serious reaction to the vaccine.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You make and excellent point and one that is the topic of many vaccine discussions in the medical community.

People receiving the flu vaccine often succumb to a false sense of security that may actually increase exposure and/or risky behavior.
I don't buy that argument. Short of becoming a hermit, there is no way to modify your risk of exposure to influenza. It helps if you wash your hands often and avoid touching your face after touching things used by other people, but that is no guarantee. If you go out in public, you never know when you are walking through air just contaminated by a sneeze from someone with flu.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Just for discussion...

Anyone around in the early days and even later knew many things were considered harmless or low risk... some even said the benefits of smoking outweighed the risk.

A parent of a friend of mine had parents that owned a shoe store... they actually had an x-ray powered machine to measure shoe size... it was deemed safe.

We use to douse people with DDT and now we don't...

Medicine is more than science... it is also an art.

People with the best of intentions can change as discoveries are made... some of what is thought of as prudent, safe and even mandatory has later been found wanting.

Shoe-fitting fluoroscope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But there is no scientific evidence to question the overall safety of vaccines.

Vaccines have saved more lives than any other medical intervention ever.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The difference is that those vaccines work and don't cause the disease they are supposed to prevent. While the CDC swears up and down that the flu vaccine doesn't cause the flu, I've known too many people who got the flu shot then BAM got the flu to believe that.
And they don't change the cocktail every year trying to guess what everybody will get next season. Sounds like the fashion industry.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
My objections are based on:

The manner in which it was presented to me.

The directive under color or authority

The lack of information

The lack of options

Concern over ramifications.
Is the fact that you do not like being told what to do really a valid reason to refuse a vaccine?

The potential for serious ramifications from the disease is far greater than the potential for serious ramifications from the vaccine.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
And they don't change the cocktail every year trying to guess what everybody will get next season. Sounds like the fashion industry.
You do understand that a vaccine against all strains of influenza is not practical, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment