Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I see no reason to NOT hire someone without a job. Given they have the skillset I need. And need a thorough review of why this person was unemployed.

I am totally perplexed by this stigma against unemployed people. If they got laid off because of no fault of their own, I see no reason to hold that against the person.

What pisses me off are these companies who hire these ******** CEO's who have nothing but failure after failure on their resume, yet still end up with lucrative jobs.

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM

370 posts, read 654,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The manager was ignorant, stupid and boorish. Of course people who don't have jobs get jobs and it's ridiculous to assert otherwise or make digs at employers or HR people on the subject.

Most of the people I hired over the years didn't have jobs at the time they were applying. However, if they'd been unemployed for many months then of course I wanted to know why and what they'd been doing. There are perfectly reasonable excuses for being out of work which make perfect sense and are perfectly acceptable. What I was and would be very sceptical about is someone who's been collecting unemployment for months and months on end and can't tell me one thing he or she has been doing during that time other than, "um, well, applying for jobs". If you've been putting in time volunteering at the animal shelter, the children's home or the home for the aged or the soup kitchen; if you've been mentoring a child, taking online educational courses or, in fact, doing ANYTHING productive, I won't hold it against you. But if all you've been doing is sitting on your fat arse I'm not interested in you.

The manager in this case was an idiot. Your friend shouldn't take this as any indication that for any reason she's not employable. He probably doesn't even know where Denmark is ...
We think alike
I have interviewed people who haven't worked in a while and as long as they have done something productive that is cool with me.
But my hunch is that perhaps this manager doesn't encounter many people like her in his restaurant who are applying for hostess/waitressing jobs???

Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
But my hunch is that perhaps this manager doesn't encounter many people like her in his restaurant who are applying for hostess/waitressing jobs???
I owned and operated my restaurant for 16 years and during that time had numerous part-timers working for me in the evening as bartenders/waitstaff to make some extra money. Off the top of my head there were, amongst them, 2 PhDs, three teachers, a few registered nurses, a licensed physical therapist, a couple of licensed boat captains, a couple of licensed massage therapists and more. I don't think any of my employees had less than a bachelor's degree but who's counting? Intelligence, the ability to interact with an interesting array of customers and a good work ethic were my basic requirements. That manager was an idiot but I think I already said that!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,781 times
Can some of you explain what "productive" means to you?

I was out of a job for about two to three months until I was employed with a part time job, from then I was able to get my full time job now. Before any of that happened I was applying to jobs DAILY sending DOZENS of applications in.

Volunteering requires travel, which means gas, and therefore money. Personally I'd rather do that job hunting. At least I feel I might be lucky and come back successful. IMO.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM

662 posts, read 1,260,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post

I was out of a job for about two to three months until I was employed with a part time job, from then I was able to get my full time job now. Before any of that happened I was applying to jobs DAILY sending DOZENS of applications in.

Volunteering requires travel, which means gas, and therefore money. Personally I'd rather do that job hunting. At least I feel I might be lucky and come back successful. IMO.
Motivated,doing something,anything but sitting on the couch eating bon-bons all day.

Motivation exists within the individual rather than relying on any external pressure.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,781 times
Well I cleaned, cooked, and did runs for my folks while I was at home.......Not much but I thought it was something I could do.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,325,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
Motivated,doing something,anything but sitting on the couch eating bon-bons all day.

Motivation exists within the individual rather than relying on any external pressure.
^ This...

I see and hear every day people bragging about sitting on their a$$es doing jack $hit feeling perfectly fine collecting unemployment, welfare, "obama phone", etc

Like it's some sort of right.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:

From a prospective employer's standpoint I don't think 2-3 months of unemployment is anything to fuss about but I would definitely question anything over six months when there's nothing at all filling that gap. In fact volunteer work doesn't necessarily mean travel. I have a friend who does volunteer work for the local animal shelter from home, doing paperwork and data entry a couple of hours a week and I'm sure that's not unusual at all. Something like that if you're unemployed isn't restrictive and doesn't cost you money but it at least shows you're not just sitting on your butt, while the organization which you're helping is more than happy to give you a reference.

As you proved, a part-time job for you kept you going and it wasn't long before you found that full time position. Good for you. The people who sit around and do nothing but throw out a few online applications here and there end up with those long gaps to explain and are inevitably passed over in favor of an equally qualified applicant who's got something to show for those gaps.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM

370 posts, read 654,679 times
Quote:

Productive meaning looking for a job. Looking for a job is a job itself.
I know studying abroad costs thousands of dollars and I know its expensive, and not everyone can do it!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,323 times
These days, I think 'currently unemployed' doesn't mean as much (negative) as it maybe used to. I wonder if s/he may have wanted more hours or different availability than was available. Or, it may have been presentation.... Myself, I think, generally, students are excellent service industry employees. Maybe there was only one opening. It's hard to say - and I just would, maybe compare notes with friend to try to identify the difference, but really just keep moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment