Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which you have no basis to say without knowing the financials/COB of both.
Quote:
Which have been common knowledge for, oh, a couple decades now. *With the warnings coming every year from the Board of Governors. *Which were ignored by successive Administrations and Congresses.
Now, you know how Hemlock had the answers. You had the answer all along. *smile*

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Now, you know how Hemlock had the answers. You had the answer all along. *smile*

But he didn't. He made a blanket statement concerning pricing.

I find it fascinating that it appears from this thread, that every single person who reponded has had problems with USPS except me. I have had issues with the local PO not having the Waterfowl Stamp available for early waterfowl season.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Keep in mind not everybody has computers or internet access.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Today we can get our bills online. we can pay our bills online. We can even have our bills paid directly from our checking accounts. At work we just went to electronic pay checks. We can even have our W2's sent to us electronically now. I just see less of a need for the postal service than in years past. Someday we just won't have a need for it.
This has a bigger impact on the Post office than UPS or Fed Ex. For awhile Netflix was helping keeping them afloat but now even they are moving away from the DVD business. The internet is what is killing the USPS.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM

156 posts, read 313,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This has a bigger impact on the Post office than UPS or Fed Ex. For awhile Netflix was helping keeping them afloat but now even they are moving away from the DVD business. The internet is what is killing the USPS.
Spam mail and packages are still filling the mailboxes.

I guess fedex and UPS are eating into profits which is weird.

UPS and fedex are very overpriced compared to the Postal service. I shipped internationally for years....the only time I saw the need for Fedex was to bypass the slow, corrupt, post offices of third world countries(may literally do not have computers...literally!)

Otherwise US post service was fine.

Quote:
Why can't the black middle class work in the private sector? They already get plenty of grants and aid to educate themselves. Is it any less unfortunate that many Caucasian, Latino, or Asian postal workers might be affected? Is it the tax payers job to waste money to guarantee a job for government workers? Should we also expect private sector companies to go bankrupt to guarantee jobs?

Let's take it a step further... How can private sector companies compete with foreign competition when they are expected to fund inefficient operations like the post office? Won't that cost far more jobs in the private sector?

The private sector in this country has been doing everything possible to adapt in these difficult times. Time the government sector does their part.
[+] Rate this post positively
The private sector didn't hire us at all....until the 1980's. It's not like corporate America went on a black hiring spree once the discrimination laws were removed. Blacks weren't allowed into nice places for cultural reasons as well as legal. The government historically was much more lenient(like the army).

I haven't researched the post office but my understanding is that it's politics rather than poor management.

Last edited by udonsoup; 01-21-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Fed Ex and UPS have shown that the private sector can handle mail and shipping. It's time for the post office to throw in the towel.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Fed Ex and UPS have shown that the private sector can handle mail and shipping. It's time for the post office to throw in the towel.

When FedEx and UPS agree to serve EVERY address in the USA....maybe. Until then, we need the USPS.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
The State of Maryland charges $20 for on-line filing of your State Income Tax.
Little known fact: IRS outsources transferring the critical numbers from the e-file to their systems. That means a third party has view of all of your PII. For that reason, I have NEVER e-filed. My PII is worth protecting, IMHO. I like the Post Office. And they have gotten a lot crisper in recent years.

About the outsourcing: verify on EPIC website, that's how I found out about it several years ago. EPIC is a non-profit electronic privacy group that tracks such things.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
After graduating from college, I've gotten the impression that the government is at least more open to interviewing minorities than the private sector. That is just my experience, though.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 AM

156 posts, read 313,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The post office would be in the black if they charged a 30-70% premium as well on the same services sans daily mail delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment