Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,339 times

Advertisements

U.S. Post Office Job Cuts Threaten Black Middle Class

Interesting article. Did you know that the U.S. Post Office started offering jobs to African-Americans in 1865? It was apparently less prone to race discrimination, which made it attractive to educated blacks.

Anyway, I don't know why they haven't stopped Saturday mail delivery and raised postage rates. Their only source of income is postage??? That's because they outsourced package delivery!

The Post Office is losing $25 million dollars a day.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Quote:
The postmaster general has proposed eliminating Saturday mail delivery, closing some facilities and changing its benefit payment obligations, but congressional approval is needed for the more significant measures.
They take no federal money yet they have to wait for Congress to save them. We should all know by now that Congress doesn't like to do the work we sent them there for. I hope we remember this in the next election.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
I hate the post office. They are disorganized and change procedures each time. They do not know how to service more than 1 customer at a time.

I choose Fed-Ex over the post office. Pop in there, and they get things done. They might start the copy job for one customer, and start helping another customer with shipping. While that customer is working on the shipping form, they will check out another customer. At the post office, I'll fall asleep as their employees move in slow-motion.

For bill payment, it's easier to pay it online than through mail

Congress needs to cut back service or privatize it.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM

76 posts, read 113,526 times
Who cares?

What are we saying here? What is the message?

We shouldnt do something because it would inconvenience a particular demographic?

Maybe the question should be asked, why are blacks so overwhelmingly employed in this particular job function? Reverse discrimination?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I hate the post office. They are disorganized and change procedures each time. They do not know how to service more than 1 customer at a time.

I choose Fed-Ex over the post office. Pop in there, and they get things done. They might start the copy job for one customer, and start helping another customer with shipping. While that customer is working on the shipping form, they will check out another customer. At the post office, I'll fall asleep as their employees move in slow-motion.

For bill payment, it's easier to pay it online than through mail

Congress needs to cut back service or privatize it.
I have to agree, all I get in the mailbox is crappy advertisements. I'd love to get no mail at all and just continue doing my bills online and sending things fedex or UPS. I can't remember when I last bought stamps and the last time I mailed something was my election ballot, only because WA went to all mail ballots, probably to help USPS. When they charge less than $0.50/letter and less for the mass mailing of junk mail, and they pay union wages with outstanding benefits, for less work, it's no wonder ends don't meet.

http://www.nalc.org/depart/cau/pdf/w...ychart0113.pdf

Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM

126 posts, read 429,778 times
I find I get the most reliable delivery from USPS. I think they should cut Saturday service to save money. I'm sorry a lot of people might lose their jobs, but maybe it's time to pick a new profession?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbdweller View Post
Who cares?

We shouldnt do something because it would inconvenience a particular demographic?

Maybe the question should be asked, why are blacks so overwhelmingly employed in this particular job function? Reverse discrimination?
Of course we need to do something about the post office. It is not sustainable in its current form. As someone quoted in the article says, "Congress fiddles while the post office burns." We know how much we all love the current do-nothing Congress.

The real problem is that a whole category of well paying blue collar jobs is totally disappearing from America. The manufacturing base has disappeared, there are few factories, steel mills and few shipyards. These places used to employ thousands of people.

In the past, a working man, black or white, could support a wife and several children on his salary, and had a job for life. These people were proud of their work.

Those jobs are basically gone. THIS IS AN EPIC DISASTER. You don't think there is a strong correlation between the tremendous unemployment problem with the downfall of the working class?

The well-paying blue collar jobs from the past have been replaced by part time, low-paying, no benefits, soul sucking jobs from places like Walmart.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
My post office has been terrible for years. Package "tracking" is a joke, their insurance sucks, and I've had numerous packages broken.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Of course we need to do something about the post office. It is not sustainable in its current form. As someone quoted in the article says, "Congress fiddles while the post office burns." We know how much we all love the current do-nothing Congress.

The real problem is that a whole category of well paying blue collar jobs is totally disappearing from America. The manufacturing base has disappeared, there are few factories, steel mills and few shipyards. These places used to employ thousands of people.

In the past, a working man, black or white, could support a wife and several children on his salary, and had a job for life. These people were proud of their work.

Those jobs are basically gone. THIS IS AN EPIC DISASTER. You don't think there is a strong correlation between the tremendous unemployment problem with the downfall of the working class?

The well-paying blue collar jobs from the past have been replaced by part time, low-paying, no benefits, soul sucking jobs from places like Walmart.
The PO is getting it's rear handed to them by DHL, FedEx, and UPS.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbdweller View Post
Who cares?

According to the article,the reason blacks are overwhelming employed by the Post Office is because of discrimination.
Think about what was happening in the 1880's.

I believe it is harder for blacks to get jobs in the private sector due to racial discrimination.
Sure,there is affirmative action,but you can still throw away. applications that have a minority sounding name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment