Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 PM

278 posts, read 308,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
absolutely! And in many cases scold you in front of others for your mistakes.
+2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Breathe.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:08 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
lure you into doing something or going somewhere that sounds like it is to your benefit when it is for the benefit of another employee==CONNING. this is why i never attend my company parties because i am always expected to give them rides home or to the party. I hate it and will never do it again.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Oh, where to begin... as an engineer, I could write a book on this nonsense:

My former job (major DoD contractor run by criminally inclined idiots)

1) Assume that screaming at the engineers will grant them the power to change the laws of physics. When this proves not to work, get rid of the senior finite element analyst who proved that the design was a violation of said laws of physics.

2) Physically attack other coworkers. Then, claim to be "just kidding" after starting a fight with them.

3) Promote only back-stabbers, liars, and idiots while claiming that "job performance matters" when everyone can see it doesn't. Strongly encourage nepotism and then act like that never happens.

4) Reorganize everything every year to hide the fact that the Titanic is sinking. I was there 10 years in the same department and had 11 different direct report bosses. That has to be a record of some sort.

5) When hard times hit, make the workers suck it up while granting larger bonuses and salaries to the idiots at the top even though they clearly aren't doing anything to deserve it.

6) Lay people off based on: lack of powerful connections, being over 30, being a hard worker, etc. In my case, it was even "funnier" in that they gave me a nice performance-based raise in March and laid me off in June... yeah, that makes sense. Funnier still was getting my 10-years of service certificate, wishing me "many more years of service" in the mail the month after they laid me off. Thanks for nothing!

At my current job (a hole-in-the-wall manufacturing company that is circling the drain)

1) Assume everyone else is an idiot and that all problems that occur are caused by stupidity or an active attempt to sabotage the company vs. the challenging nature of actually manufacturing parts.

2) Yell, scream, insult people, and create as hostile a work environment as possible. Additionally, encourage racism, bigotry, and other forms of backward, unprofessional thinking. The place is honestly so bad that I'm surprised they aren't flying a Confederate flag vs. the US one on the flagpole out front.

3) Document nothing, maintain no standards, and then yell at new employees for lacking mind-reading powers.

4) Insult the entire CAM programming / engineering department in front of the whole company and - wrongly - blame them for the company's woes... and then ask them to work overtime on the weekends... in the same email.

5) Exempt a key connected idiot from all responsibility and said overtime because he is good at sucking up and telling hunting stories. Never hold him to any standards and allow him to make a mess of things for years... messes that the rest of us have to fix.

6) After that month's crisis has passed and the entire engineering department - with the exception of the connected idiot who tells stories all day - has worked plenty of overtime and weekends... give out the employee of the month bonus check to... the connected idiot who didn't put in any overtime at all?! Announce this publicly to the whole company so everyone can marvel at management's stupidity.

6) Act confused regarding the horrible morale, blame-storming, and constant CYA as it drags the company into oblivion.

I love my job... right...

Last edited by Rambler123; 12-14-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 11:49 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Breathe.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
MJ7

the worst part about bosses are the ones that dont know how to lead, they cant get respect and they frantically micromanage. being a good boss means having experiences, character, and a personality that can get along and understand almost anyone. its the lack of these things that are encountered in all sub par bosses. the ****ty part, when bosses suck they arent told by employees until one of them quits. people usually quit their boss not the company, i think more companies should hand out and request employees to fill out supervisor ratings, everyone should be treated the same.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Oh, where to begin... as an engineer, I could write a book on this nonsense:

My former job (major DoD contractor run by criminally inclined idiots)

1) Assume that screaming at the engineers will grant them the power to change the laws of physics. When this proves not to work, get rid of the senior finite element analyst who proved that the design was a violation of said laws of physics.

2) Physically attack other coworkers. Then, claim to be "just kidding" after starting a fight with them.

3) Promote only back-stabbers, liars, and idiots while claiming that "job performance matters" when everyone can see it doesn't. Strongly encourage nepotism and then act like that never happens.

4) Reorganize everything every year to hide the fact that the Titanic is sinking. I was there 10 years in the same department and had 11 different direct report bosses. That has to be a record of some sort.

5) When hard times hit, make the workers suck it up while granting larger bonuses and salaries to the idiots at the top even though they clearly aren't doing anything to deserve it.

6) Lay people off based on: lack of powerful connections, being over 30, being a hard worker, etc. In my case, it was even "funnier" in that they gave me a nice performance-based raise in March and laid me off in June... yeah, that makes sense. Funnier still was getting my 10-years of service certificate, wishing me "many more years of service" in the mail the month after they laid me off. Thanks for nothing!

At my current job (a hole-in-the-wall manufacturing company that is circling the drain)

1) Assume everyone else is an idiot and that all problems that occur are caused by stupidity or an active attempt to sabotage the company vs. the challenging nature of actually manufacturing parts.

2) Yell, scream, insult people, and create as hostile a work environment as possible. Additionally, encourage racism, bigotry, and other forms of backward, unprofessional thinking. The place is honestly so bad that I'm surprised they aren't flying a Confederate flag vs. the US one on the flagpole out front.

3) Document nothing, maintain no standards, and then yell at new employees for lacking mind-reading powers.

4) Insult the entire CAM programming / engineering department in front of the whole company and - wrongly - blame them for the company's woes... and then ask them to work overtime on the weekends... in the same email.

5) Exempt a key connected idiot from all responsibility and said overtime because he is good at sucking up and telling hunting stories. Never hold him to any standards and allow him to make a mess of things for years... messes that the rest of us have to fix.

6) After that month's crisis has passed and the entire engineering department - with the exception of the connected idiot who tells stories all day - has worked plenty of overtime and weekends... give out the employee of the month bonus check to... the connected idiot who didn't put in any overtime at all?! Announce this publicly to the whole company so everyone can marvel at management's stupidity.

6) Act confused regarding the horrible morale, blame-storming, and constant CYA as it drags the company into oblivion.

I love my job... right...
You should write a black comedy script for a pilot for a sitcom about a horrible place to work!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
the worst part about bosses are the ones that dont know how to lead, they cant get respect and they frantically micromanage. being a good boss means having experiences, character, and a personality that can get along and understand almost anyone. its the lack of these things that are encountered in all sub par bosses. the ****ty part, when bosses suck they arent told by employees until one of them quits. people usually quit their boss not the company, i think more companies should hand out and request employees to fill out supervisor ratings, everyone should be treated the same.
They all should!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They all should!
Ah, thanks for the reminder - my former employer tried this.

They had "employee engagement" surveys, where employees could rate the company, their boss, etc. This really got into full swing a little before the layoffs began. Obviously, most of us were not stupid enough to say anything negative since then we'd end up on the layoff list... though the results were "completely anonymous" - hahaha... right... and filled out on our company computers....

Apparently, since the layoffs have decimated the place, employee engagement and moral is doing very poorly. The company's solution thus far has been to FORCE the employees to fill out the survey's dishonestly - claiming that they love the place - or they'll be sent in for "re-education." I wish I was kidding, but this is actually a thing: any department with low engagement will have its workers given "engagement homework" assignments, where I guess they basically write up essays detailing why they love Dear Leader. Unreal!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Ah, thanks for the reminder - my former employer tried this.

They had "employee engagement" surveys, where employees could rate the company, their boss, etc. This really got into full swing a little before the layoffs began. Obviously, most of us were not stupid enough to say anything negative since then we'd end up on the layoff list... though the results were "completely anonymous" - hahaha... right... and filled out on our company computers....

Apparently, since the layoffs have decimated the place, employee engagement and moral is doing very poorly. The company's solution thus far has been to FORCE the employees to fill out the survey's dishonestly - claiming that they love the place - or they'll be sent in for "re-education." I wish I was kidding, but this is actually a thing: any department with low engagement will have its workers given "engagement homework" assignments, where I guess they basically write up essays detailing why they love Dear Leader. Unreal!
that is the trouble of them, and i would request a word document with a specific outline so everyone remains anonymous. but like you said i could see a lot of kiss ass being played with these which is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment