Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
IT SUCKS! I hate every single second of it.
I have a local government job and hate it. Now that my master's degree is about to be conferred, I've gotten less interviews. It's always easy to find jobs in my area for positions with high turnover rates. Those positions have high turnover rates for a reason. Interviewers have implied that I'm overqualified for positions that pay $13-14 an hour, but employers have no problem with calling me up for jobs that pay $9-11 an hour. I'd rather suffer at my current job though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The OP doesn't live in seattle and does not have a CNC background
LMAO you really had to throw that in there? As if I didn't know that? Seriously?

Now read my post again... Specifically the it definitely depends on your field and where you are.

My point being this is a nice area for CNC work... Much like Philadelphia is a nice area for drawing UI for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've lived in Seattle and in the 90s, yes, people got jobs at Boeing all the time. And then they got laid off within three years. Maybe it's changed now. But I'm not a machinist. I don't even know what a machinist does.
I've heard it has since Boeing has years of work lined up now... Don't work for Boeing though. Not big into unions and not waiting 10 years to make what I make now.

Machining is using a machine to make parts... Internal engine parts are machined from raw material... Etc...

Last edited by Kees; 04-30-2013 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Added quote...

Old 04-30-2013, 04:37 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I have a local government job and hate it. Now that my master's degree is about to be conferred, I've gotten less interviews. It's always easy to find jobs in my area for positions with high turnover rates. Those positions have high turnover rates for a reason. Interviewers have implied that I'm overqualified for positions that pay $13-14 an hour, but employers have no problem with calling me up for jobs that pay $9-11 an hour. I'd rather suffer at my current job though.
Master's and overqualified for $14 hr?

I never went to college a day in my life and make $27... and am not even the highest paid guy in the shop. Our welder makes $40.

Makes me wish I had taken up welding 20 years ago when I decided not to go to college but instead start an apprentice manufacturing job for $6 hr.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,823 times
Know how you feel. Going through the same damn thing.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
probably been posted on this board some time before, but...

With Positions to Fill, Employers Wait for Perfection

i've been looking for 6 months. lots of interviews, no offers. i do have one strike against me because i am looking long-distance. but still, i know i've been a close second, i have a really non-flighty reason for moving, i can move with 2 weeks notice, and in every single interview i've reiterated how committed i am to moving and how quickly i can move. but i've still never been chosen. it's not the hugest deal but it is frustrating and i'd like to get on with it, already!
My sentiments to a t. I honestly bring a lot to the table but if I am just slightly off the mark in an interview no offer. I had a VP of sales refer to some of their products they sell as garbage literally, and I say um a few times and pass. Bizarro world it is.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,960 times
Totally sympathize OP. I am underemployed in a job that makes me dread mornings. I feel like I am dying inside every day I go to work. Anyway, I have been looking for something that doesn't make me dread the sunrise everyday and pays better with no luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post

I have a local government job and it's the complete opposite.

Low stress
own office
close to home
acceptable money
stability

Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM

125 posts, read 170,123 times
I've GOT to stick my nose in here. Ok. I know full well what the situation is with the unemployment. My spouse went job hunting this month- and he came home to tell me his "tales from the interview"- and this is what he found:

People showing up for interview in sports teams shirts and/or blue jeans

Various Tattoos (need I say more?)No matter WHAT the reality shows say and rock stars do, Tattoos will HURT your job hunt. Believe me, they DO. I know.

guy with dirt on his face.

Obvious cigarette odor

please don't argue with me with "the times they are a changin'" they haven't changed THAT much. Wear a G$%%Am suit & tie if you're a male. Suit/Dress/Jacket for female.

Dress up. Look, and act! professional.

My spouse's phone has been ringing off the hook all week, waking us up all morning hours and he already has two job offers.

Why? He shows up in a suit and tie and is clean, respectful, and showed up on time/early.

Girls, please no matter how cute you may be, mini skirts are NOT appropriate interview or job attire.

There is nothing sadder than watching an out of work kid who's obviously in need of a paycheck trying desperately to hide his hard core neck tattoo behind the collar of his shirt.

Hoo boy. you poor guys got suckered into thinking it was all ok with the tattoos and extra casual clothes as being all part of the 21st century. Unfortunately, you will be left behind, wondering why no one (in a professional office) is hiring you.

I am sure there are exceptions, the immense number of angry replies I am expecting will show, but if you have a LICK of sense you'll find I speak the truth.

By the way? Hubby said he was the only applicant in a suit and tie. This was for an office professional position. Wow.

There is no reason not to dress up for the interview. None! If you can't afford a decent outfit, seek assistance with groups that take care of that or wing it. Not everyone else's fault you don't/can't have proper attire. The world doesn't owe you a wardrobe.

Smile, look and act like an adult not a teenager with angst problems.

I am no snob, but frankly I am shocked that guys don't wear a suit and tie for an interview and saw on TV a line of people showing up for a job fair, they looked like thugs just let out of prison. I wouldn't hire any of them! THAT's why you're not getting the jobs. The criminal style of look scares people away. Tattoos were the worst trend to happen in past ten years and it hurt a lot of people's chances. This I believe.

Last edited by macluffy; 04-30-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
I've GOT to stick my nose in here. Ok. I know full well what the situation is with the unemployment. My spouse went job hunting this month- and he came home to tell me his "tales from the interview"- and this is what he found:

People showing up for interview in sports teams shirts and/or blue jeans

Various Tattoos (need I say more?)No matter WHAT the reality shows say and rock stars do, Tattoos will HURT your job hunt. Believe me, they DO. I know.

guy with dirt on his face.

Obvious cigarette odor

please don't argue with me with "the times they are a changin'" they haven't changed THAT much. Wear a G$%%Am suit & tie if you're a male. Suit/Dress/Jacket for female.

Dress up. Look, and act! professional.

My spouse's phone has been ringing off the hook all week, waking us up all morning hours and he already has two job offers.

Why? He shows up in a suit and tie and is clean, respectful, and showed up on time/early.

Girls, please no matter how cute you may be, mini skirts are NOT appropriate interview or job attire.

There is nothing sadder than watching an out of work kid who's obviously in need of a paycheck trying desperately to hide his hard core neck tattoo behind the collar of his shirt.

Hoo boy. you poor guys got suckered into thinking it was all ok with the tattoos and extra casual clothes as being all part of the 21st century. Unfortunately, you will be left behind, wondering why no one (in a professional office) is hiring you.

I am sure there are exceptions, the immense number of angry replies I am expecting will show, but if you have a LICK of sense you'll find I speak the truth.

By the way? Hubby said he was the only applicant in a suit and tie. This was for an office professional position. Wow.

There is no reason not to dress up for the interview. None! If you can't afford a decent outfit, seek assistance with groups that take care of that or wing it. Not everyone else's fault you don't/can't have proper attire. The world doesn't owe you a wardrobe.

Smile, look and act like an adult not a teenager with angst problems.

I am no snob, but frankly I am shocked that guys don't wear a suit and tie for an interview and saw on TV a line of people showing up for a job fair, they looked like thugs just let out of prison. I wouldn't hire any of them! THAT's why you're not getting the jobs. The criminal style of look scares people away. Tattoos were the worst trend to happen in past ten years and it hurt a lot of people's chances. This I believe.
You can't seriously believe that people who don't get hired all dress too casually or show off tattoos, body piercings, and act unprofessional. Seriously? I don't doubt that this happens, but there are far too many people who cannot find a job to just assume it's their fault for not being conservatively dressed. It's a pretty convenient way to blame the applicants though, which is definitely something people love to do.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
You can't seriously believe that people who don't get hired all dress too casually or show off tattoos, body piercings, and act unprofessional. Seriously? I don't doubt that this happens, but there are far too many people who cannot find a job to just assume it's their fault for not being conservatively dressed. It's a pretty convenient way to blame the applicants though, which is definitely something people love to do.
I always dress professionally when going to interviews. I have no piercings except for earrings in my ears, but most women do wear earrings. I have no tattoos and don't smoke so the cigarrette odor isn't there either. I still can't find a job that doesn't make me dread waking up in the morning or allow me to pay bills. I always shower and make sure my hair and nails are neatly done. I dress better than a lot of folks I see working in awesome office jobs. I almost wonder if I dress too professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment