Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,136,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Just an example of employers being picky for low paying jobs.

My local Subway had a sign on the door: Now Hiring, must have two years Subway Experience.

How difficult is it to slap meat and cheese on bread?????? I would think after one shift anyone with half a brain would have the job down pat.

Well in defense of Subway not everyone knows how to make a sandwich. So I want someone making my sandwich who knows what they are doing not because they need a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,532,625 times
That subway sign is probably there to keep random hopefuls from coming in off the street looking for work.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this is a place where a lot of people vent about things that are frustrating; i don't think that means they've given up or are doing a half-assed job of looking for a job.

i'm mega-chipper and upbeat in my cover letters and interviews, and i'm constantly reviewing my application materials (which i think are fine at this point, considering how many interviews i get) and working on my interviewing skills to make sure i'm making the best impression i can. i am always looking for and applying to jobs. it's not like people can just flip some magic positivity switch and suddenly start getting jobs. it's hard. i think it's ok to acknowledge that it's hard.

I think someone can stay positive by leaning on their hobbies and interests...tv shows/music/internet, etc

It creates a mental escape from reality and that way there is no chance for depression.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM

560 posts, read 1,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
...I think someone can stay positive by leaning on their hobbies and interests...tv shows/music/internet, etc

It creates a mental escape from reality and that way there is no chance for depression....

Right on Westphilly! Hobbies especially can keep the mind so occupied that the person can detach from reality altogether. It is really healing. Of course movies, tv shows, music and exercises (like yoga, pilates) are excellent escapes too. Thank god for people who created these.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Right on Westphilly! Hobbies especially can keep the mind so occupied that the person can detach from reality altogether. It is really healing. Of course movies, tv shows, music and exercises (like yoga, pilates) are excellent escapes too. Thank god for people who created these.

I never ever thought about being unemployed when I watched George Lopez, a basketball game, or Football game

It's called mental escape from reality

Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM

445 posts, read 866,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I never ever thought about being unemployed when I watched George Lopez, a basketball game, or Football game

It's called mental escape from reality
I like playing the Sims.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,611,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
I've been employed for almost 2 decades straight with the same company and I can't get a bite right now, even though I am considered management and have been sending out resumes like crazy. Even the companies in town that notoriously and historically raid my company for new hires have even turned me down.

I do get sick and tired of hearing "in this economy" like it's some trend that's 12 months old. It's been like this for almost 5 years now. It's almost better saying, "the new economy", "the way things are today."
This is the new economy and those jobs aren't coming back...

Jobs are out there... just maybe not in your chosen field. That's unfortunate.

As bad as the economy is I averaged over 50 hrs a week for the entire 2012 year and it hasn't let up in 2013. Last week I got 56 hours. For this week I had 43 at end of day yesterday with another 12 coming today and tomorrow giving me ballpark 67 for the week. My OT rate is $40.50 an hour... which doesn't come from making Subway sandwiches.

I myself was a victim of the economic crisis in 2010 and had to move here from FL to get back to work. It has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Everything happens for a reason they say.

Location also plays a big part... I'll quote myself from earlier in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Location... Location... Location.

Look at the differences between my former location and my current location searching for jobs in my CNC machining/programming field.

jacksonville all jobs classifieds "Cnc" - craigslist

seattle all jobs classifieds "CNC " - craigslist

25 results vs 165 results... and that's just a Craigslist search. I didn't have a problem getting a job here 2 years ago... didn't have a problem changing jobs in December... and get at least 2-3 responses to my resume every week.

That's why I moved here.
If you had told me 3 years ago I'd lose my job and would have had to relocate 3000 miles for another one I'd have laughed in your face...

That's life though. Adapting when faced with tough situations. Good luck in the new economy folks.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,185,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
If you had told me 3 years ago I'd lose my job and would have had to relocate 3000 miles for another one I'd have laughed in your face...

That's life though. Adapting when faced with tough situations. Good luck in the new economy folks.
You did what you had to do. That's what separates you from the others. I even have a couple of friends that have left the country to find work. GREAT paying work at that.

Gotta adapt.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM

30,390 posts, read 23,854,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You did what you had to do. That's what separates you from the others. I even have a couple of friends that have left the country to find work. GREAT paying work at that.

Gotta adapt.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Not everyone has the means to move to a new location. So, adapting also means trying anything and everything in your area...which is what I said in the op. I'm not just going after jobs I have experience in, I'm going after jobs that are min wage, that are labor, etc.

And why do you keep throwing that table over?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM
FBJ

The dumbest advice given on this board

1. Relocate for a job

2. Start your own business

3. Volunteer

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment