Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM

30,456 posts, read 23,912,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I didn't say there was nothing to say about it the topic, but I AM done posting in this thread.

Besides, the only opinion you two value is the one given by the genius who spent a year on unemployment and obviously knows all the viable job search strategies. So I suggest you go back to reading the scores of his posts.

I've got better things to do... like enjoying the sun this weekend.
Well I'm sorry that you were unable to see the other posts made by other posters and you are fixated on one poster alone. That's sad.

But if it's your time to go, then so be it. Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,200,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You can't even get job security in the military anymore.
I can definitely vouch for the military getting smaller. Last year I watched a lot of good friends separate against their will. Some because they messed up, others simply because of the budget cuts. Hardly anyone is safe...except precious metal mining and oil drilling. There will always be a need for energy and commodities.

And for the anonymous comment, I frequent the employment section for the current info on the job markets. I won't be in the Air Force forever. Better to stay in the know and be prepared rather playing catch up after I separate.

Got a little over a year left.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-05-2013, 03:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,779,223 times
Quote:
And what do you mean, "99er"? Are you actually suggesting that anyone with a job is now a 1%er?
No.

99ers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-05-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM

30,456 posts, read 23,912,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Holy carp! That's almost two full years on unemployment! Most people are lucky to keep their jobs for two years these days. Maybe the unemployed ARE doing better than those of us idiots who are employed in places we absolutely loathe, despise and hate with every fiber of our being. Yah, we pay the bills but at the cost of peace of mind, health, and lots of aggravation and stress.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,190,029 times
Quote:
Holy carp! That's almost two full years on unemployment! Most people are lucky to keep their jobs for two years these days. Maybe the unemployed ARE doing better than those of us idiots who are employed in places we absolutely loathe, despise and hate with every fiber of our being. Yah, we pay the bills but at the cost of peace of mind, health, and lots of aggravation and stress.

My last job ended after 2 and a half years Now I am shooting for 3 years lol

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,711,363 times
Quote:
eh, not being able to pay the bills is the source of just as much if not more stress and aggravation than any job.

i mean seriously, think about what you are saying. you'd rather be, say, homeless than in a job you really don't like? have your electricity shut off? water? you'd rather deal with the horrible spiral of overdraft fees? believe me, it doesn't get more stressful than that.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,190,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
eh, not being able to pay the bills is the source of just as much if not more stress and aggravation than any job.

i mean seriously, think about what you are saying. you'd rather be, say, homeless than in a job you really don't like?
When you are unemployed............you set your own schedule and don't have to deal with a supervisor you don't like. The only stress is finding a job while u use the unemployment check to pay the bills

When you are employed and don't like your job..........you have to get up early and head to a job you can't stand and only there because you need the money to pay the bills

So the OP is saying the unemployed may have it slightly better than a employed person at a job they hate because they get to research and pick and choose where they want their next job to be. And the employed person who hates their job will have to try and go on interviews without looking suspicious and desperately looking for a way out.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,711,363 times
i'd rather have financial security. unemployment compensation is all well and good for paying the bills until you suddenly have to fix your car, or get a big medical or vet bill. or until it, you know, ends. you can cut expenses of course, but at the same time your health insurance is going to go way up when you switch to cobra.

there is no reason you can't research and pick and choose your jobs when you are employed. you just do it in your free time. that's what i'm doing right now. and when you have a job, you don't have to worry about taking that cruddy compromise job because you're worried about money and/or your unemployment is ending. you also don't have worry about being unemployed for too long and being questioned or outright disregarded by potential employers (please save the "i got a job after a year" speech, the statistics show that you are an anamoly).

Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,055,675 times
Anyone who thinks being unemployed is some sort of picnic because you "set your own schedule" has never really been out of work - I mean REALLY been out of work, not "I found a new job in a few weeks."

It is soul crushing to be truly unemployed.

- You get to search endless job posts each day, only to discover that somehow your degree - even one in engineering or some other STEM field - and many years of industry experience are basically worthless because companies only want to hire people who have narrow, industry specific experience and utterly refuse to consider a person's overall abilities. If you're not "plug and play" from day one, you're good for nothing.

- You get to worry about how much longer you'll have food on the table and a roof over your head., which is far worse than putting up with stress that is at least rewarded with a paycheck. And, no, unemployment money doesn't last forever.

- You get to be jerked around by "job creators" who refuse to consider you for their posted "jobs," pretend on-site interviews never happened, and who basically treat you like some sort of sub-human failure. But we need more overpaid executives, Visa workers, and out-sourcing to make this nation great again?!

- You get to be spat upon and treated like dirt by a society that has completely bought into the Just World Fallacy, where everyone "gets what they deserve," so clearly you're a failure since you're out of work. This also applies to "no unemployed need apply," where the "job creators" refuse to hire the very people who need jobs.

- You get to watch a lifetime of work go up in smoke while hoping for something - anything - to come along so you have an income again.

If you're lucky, you'll survive as a broken shell of what you once were, probably grossly underemployed in a burnt-out society that will gladly slit its own throat to save a few pennies. You may never recover financially, and heaven help you if you had the experience of knowing that all the idiots and criminals at your former place of employment kept their jobs thanks to brown-nosing and connections... not that I speak from experience or anything on that matter...

Yeah, I'll take a miserable paycheck over soul-crushing unemployment any day of the week.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,771,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well in defense of Subway not everyone knows how to make a sandwich. So I want someone making my sandwich who knows what they are doing not because they need a job.
Yeah, because making a sandwich requires a full understanding of sandwich physics. Heaven forbid someone who needs a job takes a spot at a Subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment