Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,682,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Petty is thinking you own a thread you started.
the name of the thread is "it's not just the unemployed" and a few people have made it all about the unemployed. or rather one person's period of unemployment and blah blah blah the same stuff that is being argued about in a dozen other threads. it is boring and it is off topic. it's nothing to do with who started the thread, it's about what the title and subject of the thread is.

go make a thread called "is it ok to be on unemployment for a year" if you want to talk about that instead of injecting your personal beef (ok that was kind of sexy) into every single thread.

if you think there's nothing to say about the actual subject of the thread, well hmm, maybe just don't post in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the name of the thread is "it's not just the unemployed" and a few people have made it all about the unemployed. or rather one person's period of unemployment and blah blah blah the same stuff that is being argued about in a dozen other threads. it is boring and it is off topic. it's nothing to do with who started the thread, it's about what the title and subject of the thread is.

go make a thread called "is it ok to be on unemployment for a year" if you want to talk about that instead of injecting your personal beef (ok that was kind of sexy) into every single thread.

if you think there's nothing to say about the actual subject of the thread, well hmm, maybe just don't post in it?
I love the ignore feature. They can talk to themselves from here on out.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
OK BACK ON TOPIC

The one challenge I found when seeking employment while already having a job is trying to schedule interviews without my employer knowing i was looking for another job. I was able to get interviews but had trouble scheduling around my work schedule.

Now that was in 2005 so I'm not sure if I would experience no call backs while employed but i will have to see if I start looking for a job in the future
I think that could be worked around though...don't most potential employers ask you when is the best time to call?

The downside though is that in some jobs, it is absolutely forbidden to bring your cell phone with you to your area of work or to have it on...so you might miss the call. (Which, when you work 12 hour days and don't get home till wee hours...you miss an entire day.) But hopefully they wouldn't pass on because someone didn't call back immediately.

There have been a few jobs where I had to come in on THEIR schedule which actually did happen to me once. I had to keep putting them off because they kept scheduling it on days I had to work, (and I have two week days off). That doesn't help when you're trying to get a job.

But the real issue seems to be, GETTING them to even acknowledge that you applied in the first place! We see this over and over again on this forum, unemployed and employed alike.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THE POINT of this thread was, that so many seem to have missed or glossed over, is that even being employed doesn't make finding a job easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Its tough to get a job. Employed or unemployed. End of thread..
Hey... just because you are employed that doesn't make finding a job any easier.

It's tough to get a job. Employed or unemployed.

End thread?

Good call!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Hey... just because you are employed that doesn't make finding a job any easier.

End thread?

Good call!
Uh, yah, that was the POINT of the post. Now, when you're done being sarcastic and flippant, perhaps you could read what I wrote to you.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 AM

23 posts, read 84,988 times
Default Yup

Yea it's difficult now. And when you do have a job you're so worried about losing it. It's a really strange time. And I think the reason you are seeings ads and the jobs aren't being filled is because the company is question must be having budget problems, though I don't really know why they don't just remove the ad..

Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

End thread?

Good call!
so that's 2 people now who think there's nothing to say about the topic of the thread, yet have made scores of posts in it. ok!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
People are going on and on about how being unemployed makes it hard to find work. I started this thread to point out that it is ALSO difficult even if you ARE employed. That perhaps maybe it is NOT the multitude of people who are out of work who are all wrong, that maybe something is going on with the employers, themselves. Let us get to the bottom of THAT and what can we do to turn things around.

There is no reason for an employer to have a fricken cashier job at PetCo up for over a month with the excuse, "They can't find any body qualified". B.S.
I have noticed that whenever people bring up employers being wrong, it gets glossed over. I agree 100% that they use the BS excuse of not being able to find people to be a cashier or any other multitude of jobs that don't take rocket science to do.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM

even with more skilled jobs, there are tons of people out there who are qualified and looking for work for practically any role. you'd really have to get up to jobs that look for very specific and unusual skill sets before you'd have trouble finding qualified people. the story i told about my lawyer friend is a perfect example of a company stringing along a perfectly good candidate, one who they seemed to like, and then going "ehhhh maybe we can find better". and it seems they've been doing this for months.

then again, some employers have trouble finding "qualified" people because they are asking for qualifications that are unreasonable for the role, or are offering pay that is way out of scale with the responsibilities of the role and/or the qualifications. i remember seeing a job ad in nyc once that was basically for a full time (you'd need to work more than full time to do all the things they wanted!) new business dev/pr person/marketing person/analytics person/administrative assistant all in one. the pay: NOTHING, it was an unpaid internship for 3 months on a trial basis with the possibility of some unspecified pay down the line.

and i can't even count how many basic admin jobs i've seen that require a bachelor's. in that kind of role, what is someone with a degree really going to offer over someone with 10+ years' experience? wow, that comparative religion class you took really helps with your filing!

Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
even with more skilled jobs, there are tons of people out there who are qualified and looking for work for practically any role. you'd really have to get up to jobs that look for very specific and unusual skill sets before you'd have trouble finding qualified people. the story i told about my lawyer friend is a perfect example.

then again, some employers have trouble finding "qualified" people because they are asking for qualifications that are unreasonable for the role, or are offering pay that is way out of scale with the responsibilities of the role and/or the qualifications. i remember seeing a job ad in nyc once that was basically for a full time (you'd need to work more than full time to do all the things they wanted!) new business dev/pr person/marketing person/analytics person/administrative assistant all in one. the pay: NOTHING, it was an unpaid internship for 3 months on a trial basis with the possibility of some unspecified pay down the line.

and i can't even count how many basic admin jobs i've seen that require a bachelor's. in that kind of role, what is someone with a degree really going to offer over someone with 10+ years' experience? wow, that comparative religion class you took really helps with your filing!

They want you to have all these qualifications, and if you are off by 1 skill, you won't be considered. If you are a basic admin and they want you to have a bachelors degree and you don't possess it, then I guess you just won't get that job. They want a bachelors degree, but yet does not pay worth a dam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment