Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,696,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And yes, I do want to comment on this post.

I agree that those who are employed may have it hard, but at the end of the day, those who are miserable and employed are able to pay their bills, whereas those who are miserable and unemployed can't.

So it's no question that the unemployed has it harder.
I don't think anyone is saying it's harder in general for employed people. Or even that it's harder for employed people to find jobs. Just that finding work is difficult for everyone right now, employed or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
I don't think anyone is saying it's harder in general for employed people. Or even that it's harder for employed people to find jobs. Just that finding work is difficult for everyone right now, employed or not.
I think people realize that. But being employed at all when the unemployment checks run out is better than being unemployed.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,118,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I think people realize that. But being employed at all when the unemployment checks run out is better than being unemployed.

When the unemployment checks run out the next option is a temp agency

Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,414,112 times
Everyone says you have to call up after you give the application. But it doesn't make any difference nor does going in. The basic problem in this country is that these employers just aren't pulling the trigger. I am tired of seeing the same old ads from Boston Markets, Friendly's and Mcdonald's saying they are hiring for all kinds of positions. While that may very well be true, there seems to be some kind of problem within the hiring process. After a person fills out the application, the phone doesn't ring. No interview, not even an acknowledgement that the application was completed. But what will it take for this problem to be solved? What's the solution?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,610,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The dumbest advice given on this board

1. Relocate for a job

2. Start your own business

3. Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
So what do you suggest instead? I am doing or plan on doing all three above. Seems to work great for myself.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Those are suggestions, not advice.
Any suggestions given that WestPhilly doesn't agree with qualifies as dumb. I mean... a guy who spends a year on unemployment obviously is doing everything right.

Quote:
Well it shouldn't be suggested because we have no clue what someone's financial situation is which needs to be nice in order to move.
Just another excuse... I had $200 in the bank when I moved. It cost me $900 to get here... and that was 3000 miles CROSS COUNTRY. I borrowed $5000 from my grandmother and just finished paying her off... not quite 2 years at $250 a month.

Got parents? grandparents? brothers? sisters? aunts? uncles? friends? Are all your family and friends dead broke and couldn't help you get back on your feet and situated with a new job?

C'mon man.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Any suggestions given that WestPhilly doesn't agree with qualifies as dumb. I mean... a guy who spends a year on unemployment obviously is doing everything right.

Just another excuse... I had $200 in the bank when I moved. It cost me $900 to get here... and that was 3000 miles CROSS COUNTRY. I borrowed $5000 from my grandmother and just finished paying her off... not quite 2 years at $250 a month.

Got parents? grandparents? brothers? sisters? aunts? uncles? friends? Are all your family and friends dead broke and couldn't help you get back on your feet and situated with a new job?

C'mon man.

I can care less

Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,530,095 times
Quote:
I can care less
We get that. And that's why we don't care about you.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,696,663 times
Could we seriously have one thread that doesn't get derailed by this crap?

Old 05-04-2013, 04:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
We get that. And that's why we don't care about you.

Why should I care what a stranger on this message board have their account? Do you want me to send you a private message about how much I have?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM

30,369 posts, read 23,836,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

C'mon man.
Not every family will loan any money, regardless of how much they have.

And I agree with groar...can we please not get this thread locked down over petty insults? If you want to hash it out, please do so in PM. This is a place for all to vent, commiserate and offer ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment