Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Oh FFS-You think people AREN'T trying their best??? There's not enough jobs period!! I don't get this blame the job seeker stuff. Contrary to popular CD opinion, 99% of those looking for work are NOT wearing jeans and t shirts to interviews etc.
It's always easier to blame the job seeker. They can't think beyond blaming the job seeker. In their minds, it is the job seekers fault that there are not enough jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,631,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No.

Subway figures by giving their minimum wage sandwich-making lackeys fancy titles, the morale of their employees will get a boost (as they perceive themselves to be more important) and they'll be encouraged work harder (not really).

It's something straight out of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.
Like calling simple sales clerks "Store Associates", while taking more and more of their pay and benefits away.

At the same time, calling managers "lead associates" in order to dumb down their pay, while still wanting management level work and responsibilities from the employee.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the name of the thread is "it's not just the unemployed" and a few people have made it all about the unemployed. or rather one person's period of unemployment and blah blah blah the same stuff that is being argued about in a dozen other threads. it is boring and it is off topic. it's nothing to do with who started the thread, it's about what the title and subject of the thread is.

go make a thread called "is it ok to be on unemployment for a year" if you want to talk about that instead of injecting your personal beef (ok that was kind of sexy) into every single thread.

if you think there's nothing to say about the actual subject of the thread, well hmm, maybe just don't post in it?
Saying "It's Not Just the Unemployed" implies that the unemployed aren't the only ones who have it JUST as hard in this economy (as in the exact same amount of difficulty), which is simply far from the truth.

It's no comparison. Even if your job sucks, you're much better off than a 99er who has nothing now. At least you have more income security than the person who's only receiving 26 weeks of unemployment insurance.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-05-2013 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
well, i don't think it implies that. to me, it simply means it's not just the unemployed who are having trouble finding jobs in this economy, so the problems people are having finding work is not solely attributable to employment gaps or personal failings. i don't think it's implying that the employed have it just as bad as the unemployed in every way - that would be a ludicrous assertion and i don't think the OP was making it. i think we may just have to agree to disagree on that point.

at least what you are talking about is on topic though - you are comparing the experiences of the employed and unemployed in the job market. in the post you are quoting, i was referring to the people who are once again arguing about whether employment gaps hurt you and whether it's moral to stay on unemployment for more than 26 weeks or hold out for jobs that are at your career level and etc etc etc. the same stuff that is being discussed in every single "people won't hire the unemployed" thread (and boy, there are a lot of those!).

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Saying "It's Not Just the Unemployed" implies that the unemployed aren't the only ones who have it JUST as hard in this economy (as in the exact same amount of difficulty), which is simply far from the truth.

It's no comparison. Even if your job sucks, you're much better off than a 99er who has nothing now. At least you have more income security than the person who's only receiving 26 weeks of unemployment insurance.

I think the OP was talking about in regards to call backs when you apply to a job while having one. Not that a employed person is dealing with the same type of stress as a unemployed.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Uh, yah, that was the POINT of the post. Now, when you're done being sarcastic and flippant, perhaps you could read what I wrote to you.
Quote:
so that's 2 people now who think there's nothing to say about the topic of the thread, yet have made scores of posts in it. ok!
I didn't say there was nothing to say about it the topic, but I AM done posting in this thread.

Besides, the only opinion you two value is the one given by the genius who spent a year on unemployment and obviously knows all the viable job search strategies. So I suggest you go back to reading the scores of his posts.

I've got better things to do... like enjoying the sun this weekend.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
I still find it so funny that someone continues to criticizes what happened in your past and not how you are situated right now

2012 is gone forever the last time I checked

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Besides, the only opinion you two value is the one given by the genius who spent a year on unemployment and obviously knows all the viable job search strategies. So I suggest you go back to reading the scores of his posts.
i have disagreed with him many times in my short time on this board, and i think he was derailing as much as either of you were. so um... yeah. just because i don't like how you are behaving in this thread doesn't mean i am bigtime westphillydude fan #1.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, I disagree. I no longer believe there is any job security. How many threads have been made on this forum about people who have put in a good chunk of time only to be let go for various, (and usually ridiculous), reasons?

You can't even get job security in the military anymore.

And what do you mean, "99er"? Are you actually suggesting that anyone with a job is now a 1%er?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
well, i don't think it implies that. to me, it simply means it's not just the unemployed who are having trouble finding jobs in this economy, so the problems people are having finding work is not solely attributable to employment gaps or personal failings. i don't think it's implying that the employed have it just as bad as the unemployed in every way - that would be a ludicrous assertion and i don't think the OP was making it. i think we may just have to agree to disagree on that point.

at least what you are talking about is on topic though - you are comparing the experiences of the employed and unemployed in the job market. in the post you are quoting, i was referring to the people who are once again arguing about whether employment gaps hurt you and whether it's moral to stay on unemployment for more than 26 weeks or hold out for jobs that are at your career level and etc etc etc. the same stuff that is being discussed in every single "people won't hire the unemployed" thread (and boy, there are a lot of those!).
BAM! That's EXACTLY the point of my original post. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment