Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,691,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Employers don't owe you anything. The person with the longest stint on unemployment doesn't deserve the job any more than the guy who is currently employed.
who said that they did (in this thread)? west philly guy was talking about employers listing jobs that don't exist, nothing to do with employment status. and this thread about how it's even hard to find a job when you're EMPLOYED right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,526,491 times
I don't think they are playing games. Why shouldn't they keep looking for employees just as much as employees keep looking for something else?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Want the job? Make yourself stand out. Get up and off the couch and go get the job. I've gotten a few jobs in my lifetime and none knocked on my door. I had to go get the job.
ohhhhh, i was just sitting on the couch wishing for jobs, trying to seem as ordinary as possible. maybe that is the issue with my job search. thanks for the amazing, revelatory advice!!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,172,172 times
Every "I can't find employment" thread should be prefaced with a quick synopsis from the OP.

My background is this...
I am applying for this...
I live in ***** city
My education is this...
I am between ** - ** age.

This would help for receiving advice/comments from fellow C-D members. Maybe the city that the OP lives in is the issue? Maybe it is their age(too young/too old)? Maybe it is their career choice? Experience maybe?

One of my military buddies had trouble finding a job in Vegas after he got out 4 years ago. He applied every where locally within his field. Even applied to some positions out of his field. Then he switched his tactics and started applying world wide. All of a sudden, companies from the East coast, Canada, Alaska and Australia were contacting him and offering him nice 6-figure salaries. Long story short, the problem was Las Vegas' job market.

My buddy even posted his "I can't find a job" thread on here a couple years ago. Most replies were putting the blame on hir resume, interviewing skills, being over qualified or lack of ambition. It was none of the above. Just his location.

Good luck to everyone out there.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Employers don't owe you anything. The person with the longest stint on unemployment doesn't deserve the job any more than the guy who is currently employed.

Want the job? Make yourself stand out. Get up and off the couch and go get the job. I've gotten a few jobs in my lifetime and none knocked on my door. I had to go get the job.

I'm taking about employers posting jobs that are not open

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
ohhhhh, i was just sitting on the couch wishing for jobs, trying to seem as ordinary as possible. maybe that is the issue with my job search. thanks for the amazing, revelatory advice!!

He believes that because someone is on UC they are home doing nothing I'm proof that is not the case since I was unemployed for 12 months and not only found a job but a good one.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM

yeah, and this thread is not about people who are on UC anyway.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I don't think they are playing games. Why shouldn't they keep looking for employees just as much as employees keep looking for something else?
i think posting jobs when there's not really one open qualifies as playing games. there is a point to it for the employer - so they can have candidates on hand when a position does open up. but it's incredibly disrespectful of job seekers' time. not that anyone seems to care about that.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,608,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I'm taking about employers posting jobs that are not open
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
who said that they did (in this thread)? west philly guy was talking about employers listing jobs that don't exist, nothing to do with employment status. and this thread about how it's even hard to find a job when you're EMPLOYED right now.
How does he know the jobs don't exist? Are those the jobs he applied to during his year on unemployment? Oh... they didn't hire me so those jobs must be fake!

Really?

Sure it's a tough job market... but the economy is recovering. Either that or my boss is just feeling generous with the 15-25 hours of OT I've gotten every week since Feb...

I sent a blind email Monday about a job I saw listed online (I'm always looking for opportunities) and got a response yesterday afternoon from HR for a local company saying the job was open and to please send a resume.

Umbra Group - ballscrews - ballscrews refurbished - electroheads - ball screws - ball screws overhauled - beaver ballscrews - electrospindles

The perks of living in a region of the US where your job skills are in demand?

Last edited by Kees; 05-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Fixed typos...

Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,608,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Every "I can't find employment" thread should be prefaced with a quick synopsis from the OP.

My background is this...
I am applying for this...
I live in ***** city
My education is this...
I am between ** - ** age.

This would help for receiving advice/comments from fellow C-D members. Maybe the city that the OP lives in is the issue? Maybe it is their age(too young/too old)? Maybe it is their career choice? Experience maybe?

One of my military buddies had trouble finding a job in Vegas after he got out 4 years ago. He applied every where locally within his field. Even applied to some positions out of his field. Then he switched his tactics and started applying world wide. All of a sudden, companies from the East coast, Canada, Alaska and Australia were contacting him and offering him nice 6-figure salaries. Long story short, the problem was Las Vegas' job market.

My buddy even posted his "I can't find a job" thread on here a couple years ago. Most replies were putting the blame on hir resume, interviewing skills, being over qualified or lack of ambition. It was none of the above. Just his location.

Good luck to everyone out there.
Excellent post.

Location... Location... Location.

Look at the differences between my former location and my current location searching for jobs in my CNC machining/programming field.

jacksonville all jobs classifieds "Cnc" - craigslist

seattle all jobs classifieds "CNC " - craigslist

25 results vs 165 results... and that's just a Craigslist search. I didn't have a problem getting a job here 2 years ago... didn't have a problem changing jobs in December... and get at least 2-3 responses to my resume every week.

That's why I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment