Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM

560 posts, read 1,552,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
.....The current economic situation in this nation is a slow-moving disaster, .....
That's an understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,741,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I cannot speak for others but yes, it's possible that the city near me doesn't have a lot of jobs. HOWEVER, of the jobs they do have, there's no bites. And I already discussed in my op the areas I have covered. Additionally, I'm not just applying for jobs in my immediate area. I'm applying for jobs within a 100 mile radius.

The jobs show up on the lists but they stay on the list for weeks, months and when you call, they STILL haven't hired anyone. That is ridiculous! These aren't all "professional" jobs...some of these are "anyone can do this" type jobs. Why haven't they been able to find anyone for one of THOSE jobs for an entire month?!

As you can see, on this board, most people want to blame the potential employee. People don't want to admit, recognize or otherwise face the reality that employers are being extremely picky, (even for low paying jobs), and ARE playing games with people.

The anecdote about the lawyer is what a LOT of people go through....only most of them don't get the truth about the hold up.
Just an example of employers being picky for low paying jobs.

My local Subway had a sign on the door: Now Hiring, must have two years Subway Experience.

How difficult is it to slap meat and cheese on bread?????? I would think after one shift anyone with half a brain would have the job down pat.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,456,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Just an example of employers being picky for low paying jobs.

My local Subway had a sign on the door: Now Hiring, must have two years Subway Experience.

How difficult is it to slap meat and cheese on bread?????? I would think after one shift anyone with half a brain would have the job down pat.
Aren't they called Sandwich Engineers there? LOL
I'm surprised that "Must have BS in Sandwich Engineering from Subway U" isn't a requirement.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,545,635 times
Maybe the job is actually assistant manager or manager of the franchise, not a line worker, and they want to promote within the subway "family" even if you currently work at another location.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM

563 posts, read 1,274,099 times
If that's their only way of advertising for internal jobs, then they have bigger problems.

On the subject, the OP is so right. I've been employed for almost 2 decades straight with the same company and I can't get a bite right now, even though I am considered management and have been sending out resumes like crazy. Even the companies in town that notoriously and historically raid my company for new hires have even turned me down.

I do get sick and tired of hearing "in this economy" like it's some trend that's 12 months old. It's been like this for almost 5 years now. It's almost better saying, "the new economy", "the way things are today". Rambler123 is correct, it is a slow-moving disaster. Like a landslide.

I'm truly surprised that union representation hasn't gained so much more traction in the last few years over the way things have become. Not that I'm a fan of unions, but as workers become more and more stressed out, feeling like they are having more and more lumped onto them with no pay increases, all the while living with the feeling of they might be next on the unemployment line, that the idea of getting some feeling of job protection, for lack fo a better word, hasn't surfaced to a higher level. Of course, unions are heavily to blame for this, as they have done nothing to capitalize on the situation and don't seem to care about bumping up their memberships.

I also thought that by now we'd see some kind of worker revolt against "the system" for the way employers have been treating them for the last few years. No protests, no real viral campaigns documenting employees plights, no nothing.

It's funny because back in my grandparents time, they were able to secure great jobs after the war without all of this college degree nonsense, including my grandfather himself and several of his brothers, who made it all the way to QA supervisor of several defense-related companies, including on jobs for NASA, and he didn't even graduate high school. To think, that was the embodiment of the land of opportunity. Today, you have to have 2 years experience to put Subway sandwiches together for what most likely is a minimum wage job, or near it? Pure stupidity and a real sad state of this job market, and at times, a clear narrative of how some companies just simply need to go.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,718,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Aren't they called Sandwich Engineers there? LOL
I'm surprised that "Must have BS in Sandwich Engineering from Subway U" isn't a requirement.
sandwich artists! i think it requires an MFA.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
If that's their only way of advertising for internal jobs, then they have bigger problems.
I doubt it is, its probably just an additional way.

The constant negativity and pessimism here makes me think lots of people here are their own worst enemies when it comes to employment.

My DM of the job I started less than 2 weeks ago just called me with full time track to management conversation.

I don't know if the future will all pan out or fall flat, but I do know that you have to act like you want to be in it.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,718,878 times
this is a place where a lot of people vent about things that are frustrating; i don't think that means they've given up or are doing a half-assed job of looking for a job.

i'm mega-chipper and upbeat in my cover letters and interviews, and i'm constantly reviewing my application materials (which i think are fine at this point, considering how many interviews i get) and working on my interviewing skills to make sure i'm making the best impression i can. i am always looking for and applying to jobs. it's not like people can just flip some magic positivity switch and suddenly start getting jobs. it's hard. i think it's ok to acknowledge that it's hard.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM

I think its OK to vent every once in awhile, but some people here make it a lifestyle choice.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 PM

560 posts, read 1,552,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
.....it's not like people can just flip some magic positivity switch and suddenly start getting jobs. it's hard. i think it's ok to acknowledge that it's hard....

Here is another article supporting what you and Rambler123 already stated...

US suicide rate rose sharply among middle-aged :: WRAL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment