Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 AM

210 posts, read 393,954 times

Advertisements

This happened twice already with 2 different companies.

The first company I called about a job opportunity, the guy seemed interested in all and told me about the kinds of stuff they do there. He told me to then call him back the next week because it was a long holiday weekend ahead when I had called him. I had called him then the following and he said he forgot all about me because he was so busy but he still seemed interested. Then he said he would call me back later that day, which he never did. I called him back 2 days later and he seemed to have lost interest when I told him I lived 90 minutes away by public transportation. He then said he'd call me back in a few minutes when he'd reach his office, which he never did. I gave up on this guy because he pissed me off and it's been many months now that I'm looking for a job.

I applied for a job at this other company 2 days ago. He then called me yesterday morning, but I wasn't near my phone to hear it ring. I then saw the message on my phone that I had missed a call. I called them back asking if they had called me a few minutes ago, and they asked if it was me who had left a job application. I told them it was me and he said "Can I call you back in 2 minutes?" I agreed to it and it's NEVER GOT A DAMN CALL BACK!!! This company was also much closer to where I live....

What the hell is their problem??? Are they disabled people or something? They have nothing better to do than to waste my time waiting for a call and getting my hopes up??? Is it so crack hard to just be HONEST and tell me what the hell is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Get used to it. Lack of professionalism from employers is the new norm.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,842 times
Do you have their email addresses? Or could you call and ask for them?

If you are interested in the closer position and it hasn't been too far out since they last called - then I would call them back and if they don't answer, leave a voicemail.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
You told the first guy you lived 90 minutes away and take public transportation. Why do you think he lost interest?

While I agree that the new norm is a lack of professional behavior today, you also have to be appealing to the employer. Being that far away and not having a car isn't going to help sell you to the employer.

In the second case, try calling them back again. You could say I was returning your call from the other day about the position I applied for. Don't bring up that he said he would call you back and didn't.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Why did you tell them where you live? Is that in any way relevant to your application for the job?

Not returning the call is accepted norm nowadays. For each position, they probably get over 100 applicants. There's no way that they can call them back - they would be doing that all day. Their primary job is to hire the most qualified candidates - they will only call those candidates whom they are interested in.

On the flip side, I highly doubt you would call every employer you have sent your application to after you get a job, would you?

So, it's all fair and square.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why did you tell them where you live? Is that in any way relevant to your application for the job?

Not returning the call is accepted norm nowadays. For each position, they probably get over 100 applicants. There's no way that they can call them back - they would be doing that all day. Their primary job is to hire the most qualified candidates - they will only call those candidates whom they are interested in.

On the flip side, I highly doubt you would call every employer you have sent your application to after you get a job, would you?
Because he asked me...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,240 times
Unfortunately this is the nature of our job market. One position I *reeeaaallly* wanted involved 5 phone calls, filling out an application not once, but twice because they *lost* the first one, and two interviews. I did get the job, but they ended up laying off the entire division 6 months later. I've gotten blown off more times I can count. You aren't alone. It sucks.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

So, it's all fair and square.
The bolded part makes sense if he didn't already call me the first time.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
Because he asked me...
And you couldn't say "I am in the process of moving to somewhere really close to the company"?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
"Disabled" people? "Disabled" does not equal "unprofessional" but, frankly, if you expressed any hostility in one of your calls or showed that you were getting fed up, that could easily be the reason that you got cut off short. I got the impression that they just wanted to get you off the line so said they would call back and thought you would take the hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment