Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times

Advertisements

I am a firm believer that people are poor for good reasons. One of them is this stupid minimum wage thing. If people can't see the fact that the higher the wage, the less the purchasing power, then they deserve to stay poor.

By the way, they don't have to work for minimum wage. Go find a job that pays $100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM

34,120 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As for people "choosing to work for minimum wage" people have to unless...
You're missing the middle or qualifying portion of that statement:
...unless they paid attention as kids and got themselves educated well enough to do better.

Those worth $2 more than current minimum are mostly getting it.
Those worth $4 more than current minimum are mostly getting it.
Those worth $6 more than current minimum are mostly getting it.

But even though they are getting it... it's still not enough.
Which is why raising MW is not any sort of solution.

There is also a very big UNDER employment problem TODAY with people who are capable of doing
something more than these MW jobs and what they are forced to accept there. There are common
themes with both groups (oversupply of labor relative to jobs available) but this is still a different issue.
In neither case is it the responsibility of the employer to make up the difference.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM

796 posts, read 859,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am a firm believer that people are poor for good reasons. One of them is this stupid minimum wage thing. If people can't see the fact that the higher the wage, the less the purchasing power, then they deserve to stay poor.

By the way, they don't have to work for minimum wage. Go find a job that pays $100K.
Exactly right. So many people today don't want to do anything to better themselves. They want it handed to them. That's not how I got what I have and I don't owe anyone a free ride.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,639,516 times
If these workers make more money, the burgers will cost more so profits will go down which will cause workers to get laid off or fired. Let's face it, most people don't go to McDonald's because the food is great. You go there because it's cheap. If the prices raise to where it costs the same to go somewhere with better quality, people will do it.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,111,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
That's not true anymore. At the fast food places in my area, you see people working there (NOT managers) from ages 15 all the way through people in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and even 60s. People are desperate for jobs now and will take almost anything to have an income

And just an FYI, $15/hour is squat in NY. At 40 hours per week, that's only $600 week before taxes --- maybe $450 after taxes. Times that by 4 weeks and you have a whopping $1800/mo. That's barely scratching by in NY if you're single w/no kids. If you have kids? Forget it.
fast food jobs aren't meant for someone to raise a family of 4 on they are meant for retirees, teens and people to have as a second job. its not the employes job to make sure they pay you enough to cover all your bills

Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM

796 posts, read 859,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
If these workers make more money, the burgers will cost more so profits will go down which will cause workers to get laid off or fired. Let's face it, most people don't go to McDonald's because the food is great. You go there because it's cheap. If the prices raise to where it costs the same to go somewhere with better quality, people will do it.
Good point. One of our local McDonalds is going out of business. We lost KFC and Hardees and Burger King and a couple of local restaurants. If they raised the minimum wage here it would cost many jobs. Our cost of living is low. My wife and I bought a new house that had never been lived in about 3 years ago. Paid less than $1,000 down and our payments for 20 years are below $350 per month. It's nothing too fancy. 2 story, 4 Bedroom, 2 bath on just over an acre of land. Our electricity cost $156 per month. No gas used in the house. There are places you can afford to live. If you choose to live in one you can't afford then that's on you.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,811,585 times
Quote:
Too many people refuse to move to find a good job.
Once again..it takes $$$$$money$$$$ to move. You can't move broke.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,298,126 times
Every McDonalds franchise has a half-dozen positions that pay a decent living wage, and there are plenty of stores out there. Those who really deserve to make more than minimum wage have plenty of opportunity to do so if they care to do so.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,104,858 times
My first job fresh out of college was $11.00 per hour.

1987.....about 3X more than minimum wage.

So, if minimum wage doubles.....I would expect my salary to double.

I would also expect EVERYTHING to double in price.

Including hamburgers.

Would any of these "strikers" be willing to pay $15 for a happy meal?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,811,585 times
What world do some of you people live in...... Some of you think it is just easy to get another job like ABC.....No!!!!!! I've been looking for another job now for a year, and havent been able to land nothing. Yes, Im currently employed but looking for a new challenge. It's very hard for some people. And not thats its worth anything these days...But I have a BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment