Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM

120 posts, read 193,892 times

Advertisements

What's the point of even trying? I don't know why I waste my time.
  • Recruiter from the state in which the company is headquartered calls me, tells me the hiring manager liked my resume and wants to talk to me.
  • Arrange phone interview with the hiring manager the following day.
  • She calls me -- very polite, talks about the company, asks me some technical questions and gives me an assignment of some code she'd like me to email her (very simple assignment).
  • I do her assignment and also email back the recruiter who wanted me check in after the interview.
  • Recruiter says "Thanks for the feedback. Sounds promising."
  • Next morning, the usual denial email from the recruiter. "Thank you for taking the time to interview, and learn more about Predixion Software. I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for the position. If anything changes, we'll be in touch. The team enjoyed getting to know you, appreciates your interest, and wishes you all the best with your career."

Blah blah. I'm sick of getting my hopes up. Do recruiters have some sadistic tendency to give candidates false optimism? From now on I'm not taking seriously any leads I feel I have.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Don't get emotionally invested. The company probably interviewed 5-10 people, but only needed to hire one. Which simply means most people get rejected.

Get back on the horse and try again.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
yep, hiring managers pass on people they really like all the time. it's really not unusual to have more than 1 promising candidate. i can't see how the recruiter's optimism was fake in this situation. the hiring manager obviously DID like your resume because she interviewed you. then your feedback on the interview sounded promising. i don't think adism or lying comes into it.

this is the way it goes. i had an interview once where the interviewer was RAVING about me, and got back to the internal recruiter saying they needed to hire me for SOMETHING. but not for the position she interviewed me for - that went to someone who had some experience that i didn't (i never found out in exactly what - my best guess is making travel arrangements). the recruiter ended up being a very good contact and gave me lots of useful inside information, let me know about upcoming openings i'd be good for, and pushed me through the process and promoted me to the hiring managers for everything i applied to.

i had another phone interview, with someone in hr at the national headquarters of a large nonprofit. she very openly said how much she liked me and told me she was going to recommend me for an in person interview with the head of the local chapter where i'd be working. i was looking long distance but this job was a 10 minute drive from my in-laws' house, where i could stay, and i mentioned during the interview that i could start with 2 weeks' notice. then i got several weeks of silence and a rejection. i'm guessing my location was the issue but who knows. i don't feel like the interviewer was giving me false hope there either. the next person in the process just had an issue she didn't foresee, or they had plenty of well-qualified local candidates and decided not to bother with me, or something.

your resolution is actually a good one - sort of. take leads seriously while you are applying for them and interviewing, and sending ONE follow-up/thank you e-mail after interviews. the rest of the time, forget about them. it's easier said than done but it's a healthy way to approach job searching. get used to rejection - in today's job market you are likely to see a lot of it, even when you are a very good candidate. it can get to you; it certainly got to me sometimes over the course of hundreds of applications and over 30 interviews. but try not to let it.

Last edited by groar; 08-15-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 PM

25 posts, read 72,471 times
I experienced this just recently
I had my hopes up about making it to the final round after the last round of interview but got the generic rejection email which killed my spirits.

There are also no jobs to even apply to anymore. I have 4 promising opportunities that dwindled into 1 this week. I feel so pathetic as I've been looking for a job for nearly a year now after losing my previous job.

How do you think you did on the assignment? Are you sure you did it well?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,267 times
So what's your game plan now?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,271 times
Job hunting is a very frustrating task. Good Luck in you search.

I have been involved in hiring a number of people over the last 20+ years and can only suggest you prepare carefully. Videotaping mock interviews is a good way to work on the interview part. Review the videotapes yourself and have others whose opinion you trust review them as well.

You should definitely do your research ahead of time and prepare questions for the interviewer ahead of time.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
When you consider that there could be 100+ applicants for every opening, your chances are low. Even when you have a great interview, someone better can come along after you. You have to assume you didn't get it and keep trying, then you will be pleasantly surprised when you do get the job, rather than being disappointed all the time. My best advice as a hiring manager is to listen to people like MyTarge13, and do the research. For me the best tie-breaker is the applicant that is able to demonstrate enthusiasm for working for us, and the best way to do that is to tell us how much they know about our operation and use that in their reasons for wanting to work here.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Don't get emotionally invested. The company probably interviewed 5-10 people, but only needed to hire one. Which simply means most people get rejected.

Get back on the horse and try again.
fishbrains sums it up great here, without all the other fluff and criticisms usually seen on this forum. Take heed of this valuable insight. It's not the end of the world, trust me.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,796 times
Most successful people have one thing in common: they are persistent and don't give up. Keep on applying.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,796 times
Next time tell your agent your interview went "ok I guess. not my best"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment