Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Frome View Post
Agreed,

I simply do not want to get stuck with the HK job. I want to find something that is related/indirectly related to my field of interest.

I also have NO INTEREST in school at all.
What about taking a class or two at a technical school? If you learned some basic plumbing, electrical and maybe took a class in HVAC you could be more competitive in your chosen field.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:30 AM

61 posts, read 49,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
What about taking a class or two at a technical school? If you learned some basic plumbing, electrical and maybe took a class in HVAC you could be more competitive in your chosen field.
I am considering that.

I am trying to find a TRADE SCHOOL. I would like to be in a place with other guys, of the same field/goals.

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
I am considering that.

I am trying to find a TRADE SCHOOL. I would like to be in a place with other guys, of the same field/goals.

Thanks.
Try community colleges. They offer classes in things like HVAC that will help you prepare to do what you love.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Try community colleges. They offer classes in things like HVAC that will help you prepare to do what you love.
I Have no desire to enroll, in ANY type of COLLEGE. I want to be in the work environment, or a trade school, with the type of guys who are a part of this field.

In community colleges, you have all types. I am only interested in my field.

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Managing houskeeping services can pay well enough -- it can be combined with building operations. If I were you, I'd look at that job you have right now and learn it inside and out and figure out how you will move up to supervisior and then on up.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Managing houskeeping services can pay well enough -- it can be combined with building operations. If I were you, I'd look at that job you have right now and learn it inside and out and figure out how you will move up to supervisior and then on up.
True, but I HAVE NO DESIRE to do HOUSEKEEPING.

I only took that job, because my dad threatened to make me go to a college.

After three weeks of doing what I really want (a building engineering apprenticeship) I find it absolutely depressing to have such a let-down on Monday.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Also -- you're only 19 -- you can do this for a while until you can get back in that other line of work.

At age 19, you have a job, you aren't in serious life-long debt like so many college graduates who now complain they can't get a job -- or if they can get one, they'll be at your same position but owing $80,000 for their college loans and also be 4 or 5 or 6 years older than you.

I don't think you should be at all depressed. You're starting out, in a couple years you can be doing something that you want to do, or you could be promoted up. And you still won't have a mountain of loans that will take you 40 years to pay off.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
True, but I HAVE NO DESIRE to do HOUSEKEEPING.

I only took that job, because my dad threatened to make me go to a college.

After three weeks of doing what I really want (a building engineering apprenticeship) I find it absolutely depressing to have such a let-down on Monday.
Just do what you have to do for now --- consider it a "character-building job" and eventually you'll get back into the building engineering apprenticeship. You can still learn a whole lot about buildings and business as a housekeeper. You're obviously smart and literate.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Managing houskeeping services can pay well enough -- it can be combined with building operations. .
Yes one could make good money as a HK Supervisor. However I am only starting out. Besides; at 19 years old, I doubt they will make me the supervisor.

I will be stuck with a boring, depressing job, with a 45 minute commute (both ways) everyday.

Last edited by Milton Frome; 08-17-2013 at 11:23 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 11:05 AM

107 posts, read 181,827 times
Quote:
I am open to any trade-school type classes. I am adamantly opposed to any "formal college or universities". ie; Baylor, Vanderbilt, OU, etc.
I think that's smart actually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment