Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM

255 posts, read 710,635 times

Advertisements

I have an etiquette/appropriateness question... I am currently applying for several positions in a city that my husband and I will move to in late October. 3 positions I have applied to are USAjobs positions and the postings do not close until late September. I would REALLY like one of these jobs, if possible, but I probably won't hear anything from them until we are right in the midst of moving. Ultimately, I would really like to have something lined up before we move, however.

I am also applying to other nonprofit jobs in the area, and I have already heard back from one. From a professionalism standpoint, what happens if I accept a job with one of these nonprofits, but then I am offered another higher paying, better job a couple months later that is a USAjobs position? What is standard protocol if you are looking for a job, but you are offered a better one within a close time frame? I don't want to burn bridges or get a poor reputation in my new community, but if the pay was substantially different, I don't think I could turn down a better position if one came along. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
If the pay was substantially different, I don't think I could turn down a better position if one came along. TIA!
It's perfectly legal to back out of an accepted job offer if you haven't signed anything.

If the pay was so much greater that it would "pay for" accepting the risk (which is pretty low regarless) getting a bad reputation, I would do it.

It's business. You have to look out for yourself.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
Quote:
I have an etiquette/appropriateness question... I am currently applying for several positions in a city that my husband and I will move to in late October. 3 positions I have applied to are USAjobs positions and the postings do not close until late September. I would REALLY like one of these jobs, if possible, but I probably won't hear anything from them until we are right in the midst of moving. Ultimately, I would really like to have something lined up before we move, however.

I am also applying to other nonprofit jobs in the area, and I have already heard back from one. From a professionalism standpoint, what happens if I accept a job with one of these nonprofits, but then I am offered another higher paying, better job a couple months later that is a USAjobs position? What is standard protocol if you are looking for a job, but you are offered a better one within a close time frame? I don't want to burn bridges or get a poor reputation in my new community, but if the pay was substantially different, I don't think I could turn down a better position if one came along. TIA!
Ive never worked for nonprofits, so my advice comes from the business world. Take the offer you have now. The odds of getting a government job are slim, if only due to the amount of competition (also, is there a hiring freeze?). If you do get lucky and get a better offer, take the better offer and let the other employer know you've decided not to start ASAP. They won't like it, but it happens. One caveat...they aren't paying your moving expenses, are they?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM

255 posts, read 710,635 times
There are furloughs in the fed job arena right now, but it looks like they are hiring in my area of expertise. I am not holding my breath with these USAjobs positions, but I would still prioritize them first if they offered.

No, the nonprofit is not paying our relocation. My husband's new job is. So, no pressure there in terms of taking a job and then leaving.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,983,546 times
Quote:
There are furloughs in the fed job arena right now, but it looks like they are hiring in my area of expertise. I am not holding my breath with these USAjobs positions, but I would still prioritize them first if they offered.

No, the nonprofit is not paying our relocation. My husband's new job is. So, no pressure there in terms of taking a job and then leaving.
Sounds like you're in good shape then. A bird in hand....

Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I would take the better one. I have had it happen with me, a few years ago.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,351 times
You just thank them for the time but say you were offered a position that is more in line with your skills.

Above all, do not tell other coworkers you are applying for other jobs. And if you get the job you tell your manager first.

Then your last two weeks get everything wrapped up, continue to work hard, etc. That minimizes hard feelings.

I had a job I worked for 6 weeks. Pay and hours were terrible. I was offered another position, better pay and full time, I took it and the first person I told was the manager. My only mistake was that ONE coworker told me she was looking for work, so I thought I could trust her and told her the same and then next day she spread it like wildfire, I mean come on? Really? Since then I NEVER tell people that I am looking, EVER.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Ultimately, there's competition for every halfway decent job these days.

So, the job you were offered and rescind, there's other people in line for the job.

Now, the people at the company might be really an@l and say that you wasted their time, and hold a grudge against you. I think that's a little excessive.

Who really cares?

Now, if you start working and THEN back out, it's a little bit worse, but still. People who hold grudges against this kind of thing are really just making the world a more difficult place than it has to be.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,773 times
In my experience, getting any job through USAJobs.gov will take at least 2-3 months after the closing for you to actually start the position. . I went through something similar, we moved because of my fiance's job and I applied for multiple jobs through USAJOBS.gov that I was qualified for. Unfortunately, by the time the job posting closes, they review your application, send your application to the hiring manager, interview you, decide you are indeed right for the job, offer you the job, you pass your drug test and background check, etc, I would expect several months turnaround. If you are fincially stable enough for your to be unemployed for that long/are willing to wait then I would say wait for the USAJOBS. But I would highly encourage you to accept a position outside of government if you can, IF you need to start right away. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
It's business. You have to look out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment