Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times

Advertisements

my manager is contractually obliged to attend those functions because he is a manager of the company

i am a "supervisor"(I have a social work degree and license and do "supervision" in some capacity) but i am not chained to the agency via a contract like my manager is

sometimes rarely my manager will try to make it appear that the both of us are "the same" but the reality is we are not. it is always to his benefit to attend company functions not only because its his job per his contract but it also benefits him by attending. his role is precisely defined and he knows exactly what his purpose is at those functions. my role is ill defined and i resent being at a function stuffing my face floundering with no particular role or function.

if i discuss this with him hes going to pretend that he doesn't know what im talking about or ignore it

sorry again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
No one likes those holiday parties, but most people suck it up and attend. I am sorry that you have so many issues that make holiday parties painful. I personally would pay the ticket fee and show up for 20 minutes and bow out. You could say you are not feeling well and get the heck out.

Yes, it's a pain. Yes. it's unfair. Yes, it's a shame you work with a bunch of yahoos. But...you like your job and it's only a few nights out of the year. Maybe attend every other function.

Who knows in this economy what will happen in the future. Is the one boss you irritate the one who decides whether you are let go?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 AM

the former ED who was irritated by me stepped down in the summer. i have no idea if he still has the right to intervene when it comes to attendance at these things. i have no idea who, if any of the new acting directors are iritated by me or not. what i am trying to say is that since my manager approached me he was probably approached by one of the new acting ED's. i can't say for a fact that any of them are irritated by me or not. all i know is that they can always send my manager out to do their dirty work because they are not going to approach me on it

my manager already told me hes not tellin g me i have to go. i have a good excuse.

its just the future that concerns me

Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 AM

my manager is married with 2 kids and DOES NOT WANT to have to work on Sundays. a lot of why my manager lets me do what i want is because he knows as long as im willing to work Sundays he doesn't give a rats *** what i do. i can request Sunday off as long as i do it in advance and take my vacations just as long as everybody else

if i was feeling OK right before the party i might consider going but they give no provision to buy a ticket late. its always been like this. in fact in the past the dinners were free. however if you pledged to attend and then you didn't make it you would be charged $40.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM

their only reason for their wanting me to attend is because they know i have a car and can give people rides after. then what happens hen i can't find street parking because i got home too late? than what?

if i took cabs or public transit to these events you can best bet they wouldn't be asking me to go

tell me, when somebody is discharged from employment for being politically misfitted, what are the pack of lies that the employer will use to get rid of me? what will they tell a prospective employer about me? that i was a subversive because i wouldn't give someone a ride home after an event? that i am a subversive because i like to work and not socialize?

am i going to have to hire one of those reference checking companies to see what they are telling other employers about me?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM

the guy who is now acting ED hated me, bullied me for years and thinks i am a misfit. hes since then stopped tho. in fact when my mom passed 2 years ago it did seem like he tried to make some kind of amends. hes more cordial to me now but that doesn't mean he won't go behind the scenes and try to make me do what i don't have to do. its hard to say since i don't really trust management. could be hes not doing anything to me at all

sure if my lack of attendance irks him enough he can certainly get rid of me. but hes not going to document it that way (refused to attend company functions). he would pick some other reason. i don't know what that would be since just about everybody knows me as a great employee.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,101 times
Default Have a Plan

Just let co-workers know ahead of the party you can give rides home for 10 dollars if they sign up before the party. That way you can plan when you will be leaving and how many people need a ride. They will also feel better knowing that they have a ride home.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 AM

good idea. plus if they want to engage in conversation with me it will be an extra $10! so if they opt for a ride with conversation it will run them at least $20, and at those rates they might as well just call a cab on their own!! they can get conversation from their local cab driver for free!!

see, its not really about the ride, its about the acting ED's need to say "I know someone who can give you a ride" then they manipulate me into going to the party. then the acting ED gets all the credit, i pay $20 for a measly meal and then have to drive somebody home. see how it works? its a total scam

Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
rlrl, I realize you're just having a vent but you need to chill out. This isn't worth the blood pressure rise!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Is this a normal thing where you have to pay for your office party? I've never heard of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment