Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times

Advertisements

Scratching my head over this one. Have a long background in outside sales, primarily selling products to blue collar industries like warehouses, service companies, auto related companies and manufacturing plants. Last week get a call from a corporate recruiter who is looking for people to work inside sales selling SEO, SEM, PPC and the like.

First phone interview went well and they told me to take the dreaded PI assessment test. Took it and the results were slightly out of the range of the qualities that they were looking for. Looking for aggressive sales hunters and my results put me more in the range of aggressive account manager. Never had this happen before but the recruiter told me to re-take the test and try to game it for a better result so I look like a hunter. Took the test again and changed my results to fit the profile. Did another phone interview and selected for a face to face interview. Did my homework and looked on LinkedIn to check out who is going to interview me, looked on Glassdoor to see what the employees think about the place.

What has me wondering is that I am at least 20 years older than most of the employees and 15 years older than most of the managers. I don't have any sort of tech background other than a short stint selling software to car dealerships almost 10 years ago. Friend of mine joked that they are bringing me in to say that they don't discriminate against older job seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
It could be or they are padding their interview roles. I was asked to interviews when it was clear from the start they weren't willing to even consider me or just proceeded to rip me apart to the point on some occasions I was greatful when it was over becuase I wouldn't want to work for such @-holes even if they made an offer.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Not so much that they want to show they don't discriminate, but you could be there to fill a role per say.

I applied for a training position once...they ended up going with someone with less experience who ended up quitting after 3 months...but he was 30 yrs older than me. Basically they wanted someone who looked the part. They didn't feel clients would take me seriously since I looked so young. I get it. No loss, everything worked out better for me with the company anyway.

It could be that they are looking to diversify. I mean, if you could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in a white dress, then who cares if you've sold tech products before? Maybe the current employees know the tech portion better than the selling aspect.

If the jobs sounds like something you would enjoy, just go with it. Don't sell yourself short - tech is the way to go these days, maybe they think you're ready to jump on the bandwagon.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
If you didn't want to interview, why did you agree to apply? I don't get it.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you didn't want to interview, why did you agree to apply? I don't get it.
I need a job, so worst case scenario is that I use it as a practice interview and possibly land the job. Just thought it was odd, I don't fit the profile of what they are looking for, they are telling me to re-take the personality assessment and are anxious to get me in for an interview. The recruiter found me on LinkedIn, so it's not even like I applied for the job. I'm used to outside sales, so not sure that I could stand being stuck in a cubicle all day dialing for dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment