Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times

Advertisements

Perhaps his first job was at Sephora.

If you think his look is negatively affecting your business then most definitely tell him to get rid of the look or tone it down. What I don't understand is that as the owner of the company, you are willing to mull over this to this degree. It takes away valuable time from doing more important things that have far greater affect then some guy wearing make up. You being the owner of your company you probably work by far the hardest and thus should not have this much time to ponder about the affects of makeup.

You feel that this will negatively affect your company, tell him to tone it down. If you think he will try to sue you for discrimination then make it a company policy that you cannot have over the top makeup(affects both men and women equally) and do not single him out or make it seem like he is the cause. If you just have a thing against guys who wear make-up, than I can't help you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OP....several have asked and you haven't answered..........

Is this young man a good worker? Does he have a good attitude? Do your customers seem to like him?
So so. Attitude is OK, but he does have a rather off affect - a very close-talker and stares too long, doesn't quite know what's appropriate and comfortable eye contact. This is OK with small children. Coworkers (and presumably adult customers) fit it creepy.

Update today 6pm: - as so often happens the problem solved itself. He just quit, he's going overseas for some kind of project. He only worked 2 weeks and didn't disclose he had another application in the works. So that ends it all. Happy holidays all around.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The EEOC would come in if it found the complaint valid enough to pursue. It is easy and free to file a complaint.

The burden is actually on the company to prove it was not discrimination once the EEOC takes up the case, the only thing the employee needs to do is show they are a protected class, and the action against them was based on them being a protected class. That last part is difficult to do for the employee (who really is not being discriminated against) because being terminated is in itself not discrimination.
I didn't say a company wouldn't have to defend themselves against an EEOC complaint. I said it's up to the person suing to prove their case.

And you do NOT need a reason to fire anyone in a Right to Work state!

People can complain all they want. Doesn't mean squat. Often times, it's the worst employees who complain the most and just waste EEOC's and court's time.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
So so. Attitude is OK, but he does have a rather off affect - a very close-talker and stares too long, doesn't quite know what's appropriate and comfortable eye contact. This is OK with small children. Coworkers (and presumably adult customers) fit it creepy.

Update today 6pm: - as so often happens the problem solved itself. He just quit, he's going overseas for some kind of project. He only worked 2 weeks and didn't disclose he had another application in the works. So that ends it all. Happy holidays all around.
So glad the problem has solved itself.

From now on, make sure you get final approval of all new hires.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post

Funny how things work themselves out frequently! In the future, please make sure you have the final say with ALL hiring! It will save you from having to deal with a mess like this in the future. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
All this commotion about someone's appearance. I don't even understand why it would be an issue as it wouldn't affect his ability to do the job.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
All this commotion about someone's appearance. I don't even understand why it would be an issue as it wouldn't affect his ability to do the job.
Personal appearance is huge in many industries! Would you want someone looking like a crack ***** high as a kite cashing your paycheck at a bank? Probably not. Most people would like someone who looks professional. Someone who looks like they can count to at least 10 and not look like they're stealing your driver's license number along with your SS# and bank account numbers. There's a reason people who work in banks dress and look a certain way.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
No, not any reason. You can't fire someone for being black, for example.
If one had an issue with any race in particular, why would you them to begin with?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM

221 posts, read 379,927 times
Personally, I enjoy seeing people's quirks when it is unexpected as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If your clientele is so diverse, why are you concerned this will impact your business or reputation?

As a customer, I have expectations of the businesses where I choose to spend money - and that includes their employees.

My expectations of my fellow customers are much different, because I'm not trading with them; they're just other people who happen to be in the same place I am at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment