Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
You worrying about you would probably be the best course of action for all involved
Let me rephrase for clarity. I did not mean "the business I work at." I meant MY business, as in "the business I own." The guy got hired prematurely, a slip up (that won't happen again!).

Last edited by kletter1mann; 12-20-2013 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 04:46 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Me worrying about me? It's MY business.
Then if it is your business (no pun intended), and you didn't want him hired, what on earth are you doing on a forum asking a question that you've already answered yourself?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
Then if it is your business (no pun intended), and you didn't want him hired, what on earth are you doing on a forum asking a question that you've already answered yourself?
The hiring manager didn't follow policy, but he did get hired and I have deal with it. The other wierdos I mentioned are customers, not employees. My employees are as ethnically diverse as they come, BUT all are as wholesome looking and family-friendly.

The issue is whether it's discriminatory to the metrosexual guy for his appearance.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
As long as he does a great job, what does it matter? You said you had weirdo customers, so maybe his makeup will make them feel more comfortable coming into your place of business.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:58 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
The business is in an upscale NY suburb where political correctness runs rampant, so people do see this kind of thing. The clientele has a large "lifestyle.alt" element - gay, women with extensive tattoos, guys with dreads, etc etc. all alongside suburban moms and little kids. Nobody seems to care about that.
Soooo, nobody seems to care - but you? Then I would say leave him be, especially if you allow women to wear makeup. Why does this bother you so much? I've never understood the double standards when it comes to how men vs women dress or "do themselves up." As a woman I can wear pants or a skirt/dress, makeup or no makeup, heels or sneakers, and nobody bats an eyelash at any of it. But if a man dares to wear anything but pants, dress shoes or sneakers, and puts on a little eyeliner? Oh, he's a freak!! C'mon people, show a little consistency.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
The hiring manager didn't follow policy, but he did get hired and I have deal with it. The other wierdos I mentioned are customers, not employees. My employees are as ethnically diverse as they come, BUT all are as wholesome looking and family-friendly.

The issue is whether it's discriminatory to the metrosexual guy for his appearance.
Being "metrosexual" has nothing to do with make up. It's not discrimination to ask him to not wear it or to tone it down.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:03 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Being "metrosexual" has nothing to do with make up. It's not discrimination to ask him to not wear it or to tone it down.
Ultimately, I agree.

I mean if it's really causing a stir with the clients, I think it'd be appropriate for the manager to ask him to tone it down or not wear it while at work, on the clock. The guy can still be who he wants outside of work. Ideally, I'd hope that my fellow human wouldn't get all hot and bothered by it.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:11 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:

Probably depends on your state laws, but I would say (from a moral standpoint) that yes - it IS discriminatory. Read my comment above, regarding the double standards when it comes to how men & women dress. Would you feel okay disciplining or talking to a woman for wearing pants and no makeup? If not, why is it acceptable to challenge a man for not wearing "gender-specific" attire? Think about it.

As for your statement about the employees looking "wholesome and family friendly," I find that to be a very offensive phrase... basically it's code-speak for "not gay," or something along those lines. Trust me, I've heard it before! (and I'm not even gay) Families come in all shapes, sizes, colors, genders, and combinations, so there is no such thing as "family friendly" IMO. I am a member of a family, and would be very friendly to this makeup-wearing gentleman - in fact, I might even be MORE inclined to approach him than another. One of my male friends wears eyeliner regularly, and also happens to be one of the most gentle, kind, and honest people you'll ever meet. A hard worker, too! So yeah, I'm not buying your excuses here.

P.S. Do you have a clear dress code? If not, you might want to consider that for the future. I understand wanting employees to dress professionally, but without a specific policy on makeup in regards to gender, you probably don't have a leg to stand on here.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Men wear make up and deal with the public all the time. He needs to adjust his make up for the public like newscasters, politicians, and public relations.

There is professional make-up for work and make-up for personal time. He just needs a small chat about the proper type. It may be best be handled by somebody on your staff with the proper makeup.

Last edited by move4ward; 12-20-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 05:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Extreme make up has nothing to do with being gay. We don't know if the guy is gay.

The OP said the guy looks like Jack Sparrow. That's an extreme look. Women have been told to tone things down. Employees who are customer facing generally expect to have to maintain a certain (usually conservative) appearance.

No ones is impugning the guy's character. I agree that having a written dress code would be something the OP should draft immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment