Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 01:16 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to the question of whether it's okay to not socialize at work. The vast majority of people socialize with co-workers, but I'm not going to hold it against a person who does not want to because, ultimately, we're not at work to talk about what happened on the latest episode of a TV show, or what happened during Monday Night Football, etc. But if I had to pick a side, I suppose the people who purposely don't socialize are "more correct" than the people who do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 01:59 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
I would probably think that person is somewhere on the autism scale, and I'd smile and say 'hi'. And maybe once in awhile invite said person to lunch, or to join me for a break or some such.

And yes, I HAVE done that in the past.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:37 AM

57 posts, read 33,151 times
Quote:
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
As long as the coworker is not starting drama within the work place, not a big deal. Also, this coworker is doing the job without complaining, not a big deal.

Not every employee make friends with the entire department or waves to every individual in the early morning, thats pushing it. As long as the employee completes the job for the day I am happy, employer or not.

So, try to understand not everyone is a social butterfly. Plus, everybody thinks differently. Perhaps the coworker could possibly be studying a new language (memorizing words in their thoughts) or thinking of creative ways to complete tasks at home after work. You have no idea what is going on in their mind.

Focus on what you are suppose to do for the hours you are working, not what everyone else is doing.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRicantraveler View Post
As long as the coworker is not starting drama within the work place, not a big deal. Also, this coworker is doing the job without complaining, not a big deal.

Not every employee make friends with the entire department or waves to every individual in the early morning, thats pushing it. As long as the employee completes the job for the day I am happy, employer or not.

So, try to understand not everyone is a social butterfly. Plus, everybody thinks differently. Perhaps the coworker could possibly be studying a new language (memorizing words in their thoughts) or thinking of creative ways to complete tasks at home after work. You have no idea what is going on in their mind.

Focus on what you are suppose to do for the hours you are working, not what everyone else is doing.
You are right.

I don't mind if somebody barely talks to others, and I don't give a damn when someone talks too much (this second kind is annoying to me, but I can ignore or avoid), as long as s/he does her job and does not leave his/her slacks for others. Somebody is just too much, likes judging others, but doesn't see her own sh*t.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
Doesn't bother me at all. I'm paid to do my job, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone doesn't believe in telling their business to co-workers. People who judge others who barely speak are the problem, not the introverted person.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,038 times
Quote:
A hard worker? They are there to do a job, not socialize

Old 01-14-2020, 02:45 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
I'm about to leave my job because of this. Don't want to be forced to talk to people, and unfortunately the only jobs to employ me are those dealing closely with people and I hate it. This is what drives people to go insane at work.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:42 AM

346 posts, read 550,895 times
My office is currently next to a team comprising of three ladies that a) talks a lot; b) talks LOUDLY; and c) talks about their personal life much, much more than work related things. Topics include: marital issues of one of them (yes, crying included), kids' homework, vacation plans, weekend plans, how one of their husband gambles too much, daycare, etc. Almost every day the girl next to me would audibly fight on the phone with her husband and the other two would later stop by to console. On good days, that same girl would Skype her 2 year old son and they would sit together to OOOOH and AAAAH at the baby.

For the most part, I don't mind nor care except for the loud talking which is ultra distracting to me.

So yeah... I've already answered this question with an earlier reply but I'll reply with another resounding "YES, PLEASE I WOULD LIKE CO-WORKERS WHO DOES NOT WANT TO TALK!"

Old 01-14-2020, 02:10 PM

390 posts, read 379,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to the question of whether it's okay to not socialize at work. The vast majority of people socialize with co-workers, but I'm not going to hold it against a person who does not want to because, ultimately, we're not at work to talk about what happened on the latest episode of a TV show, or what happened during Monday Night Football, etc. But if I had to pick a side, I suppose the people who purposely don't socialize are "more correct" than the people who do.
HA HA HA! This is what goes on in my office every day. I love it here. I'm sorry some of you work where you do. We talk about everything but also if someone is busy and needs to concentrate all we have to do is say it and we all get it. There is one guy here who does not socialize a lot but that's his personalty and he's been here like 5 years. We're used to it and we still say good morning and hey what's up?

Sorry but when you spend 40+ hours with the same people how can you not be social? We don't generally do lunches together except on special occasions and then we cater and meet in the conference room. And I mean everyone from the CFO and President on down.

Granted if someone was let go we probably would not be lifelong BFF's but working together everyday it's nice to at least be friendly.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Some people aren’t big talkers & that’s OK.

1 peculiar thing I used to see at one workplace was that our company had about 500 people altogether. Most people were fairly sociable to various degrees. We had a handful who were very close to warm up to others. I recall a guy that I would see on the elevator. I would speak & he would ignore me. I sometimes had to refer cases to him. I would take fils to him & he would barely speak. I would ask him to call me when a case was reviewed, that I would come get it. He never called, he returned them to me by inner office mail. Needless to say, I got really irritated with him. Down the road, he saw me carrying a work study textbook & got all excited. Started asking me all about my classes. I told him I didn’t have time to talk.

If you aren’t a big talker, that’s no problem. If you are cold & stand offish, don’t be surprised when it comes back to bite you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment