Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 04:39 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,569,399 times

Advertisements

As stated before, if you have an attitude just because some people choose not to run their mouths at work, YOU'RE the problem, and not the other person. This may be a foreign concept to some of you, but there are people who come to work to....WORK. When you have a lot to do daily, you shouldn't have time to run your mouth. It's easy to not be social even though you spend 40+ hours with the same people. You're not going to like everyone at work due to different personalities, and that's ok. You figure out early on who you do(n't) gel with at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
I’m one of those people.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:39 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
The quiet ones that do their work. and stay away from other people not talking to anyone, are your best friends when promotion time comes around. They are no competition for the better and manager jobs.

If everyone in the department is like that but you, you will end up the only one to be considered for the promotions where you have to talk to people.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM

334 posts, read 221,625 times
Some people are just not outgoing and like keeping to themselves at work. I'm generally the same way, but will often make buddies with one or two people that I feel I can connect with. For the most part, I will smile, say good morning, and be friendly to my co-workers. But, I don't go out of my way to befriend people.

Matter of fact, I'm one of the biggest advocates for office jobs to be work at home. We wouldn't have to deal with half of the b.s. that we do at work if we were in our own home offices.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 4,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The quiet ones that do their work. and stay away from other people not talking to anyone, are your best friends when promotion time comes around. They are no competition for the better and manager jobs.

If everyone in the department is like that but you, you will end up the only one to be considered for the promotions where you have to talk to people.
I'm sure it depends on the company, but management definitely isn't better where I work. My manager's salary is 10k higher than mine. He survives off kissing people's asses and is forced to wear a smile 24/7. No thanks.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:56 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,152,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Some people are just not outgoing and like keeping to themselves at work. I'm generally the same way, but will often make buddies with one or two people that I feel I can connect with. For the most part, I will smile, say good morning, and be friendly to my co-workers. But, I don't go out of my way to befriend people.

Matter of fact, I'm one of the biggest advocates for office jobs to be work at home. We wouldn't have to deal with half of the b.s. that we do at work if we were in our own home offices.
Not everyone is chatty but it's not hard to be polite. Some people are cold fish.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:10 AM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Not everyone is chatty but it's not hard to be polite. Some people are cold fish.
How long do I have to be polite and listen to Chatty Cathy? When does Chatty Cathy have to be polite and shut up?

Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How long do I have to be polite and listen to Chatty Cathy? When does Chatty Cathy have to be polite and shut up?
I agree. Chatty Cathy is preventing you from doing your job on time, she's the one being rude, not you.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:31 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times
I wish I could get time to think and solve problems independently. Unfortunately my day is filled with meetings and if I don’t speak up management from another team will tie all tasks on my teams head and things go to hell.
This is also why I usually regret taking time off, because stuff ends up worse than the day I left when I return.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
I have a life of my own, and friends outside of the workplace. I'm not sure why it's an issue if a co worker won't be buddy-buddy with me.

the reason I like working from home now, is I don't have to deal with snow-flakes who get upset because I won't chat with them all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment