Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lots of social misfits who can't communicate with their coworkers trying to justify their lack of teamwork. How sad!
TeamWORK, not teamCHAT - pleas, note the difference.
I strongly dislike coworkers who babble as hell, and bosses who issue some useless sounds 10 times a minute (that you are expected to react with at least "uh-huh") and expect you to do the job. I had a boss who was constantly saying something non-work-related about herself (usually something about her fingernails). She was sitting behind me. So, in order to react, I needed to stop my job that required, periodically, extreme concentration, turn around, smile, and say something, turn back, find where I stopped, and continue. Ten seconds later, repeat. Hated this workplace with all my heart.

Last edited by BusyMeAK; 02-08-2014 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
TeamWORK, not teamCHAT - pleas, note the difference.
I strongly dislike coworkers who babble as hell, and bosses who issue some useless sounds 10 times a minute (that you are expected to react with at least "uh-huh") and expect you to do the job. I had a boss who was constantly saying something non-work-related about herself (usually something about her fingernails). She was sitting behind me. So, in order to react, I needed to stop my job that required, periodically, extreme concentration, turn around, smile, and say something, turn back, find where I stopped, and continue. Ten seconds later, repeat. Hated this workplace with all my heart.
I wouldn't have been smiling. Irritating people need therapy!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Teamwork is fine, but there are way too many employees without a life outside their job, and it's pretty obvious. Do you want to mention the weather today? Okay. Do I care that you are going out for drinks Friday night with some person? No. I'd like to go home to my family, thanks, your personal life is irrelevant to me.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 AM

16 posts, read 20,581 times
Study after study has shown that employees who like each other as people and exchange SOME conversation about non work topics during slow times work more effectively as a team. And the 21st Century workplace is all about teams.

Yes, no one wants to work with someone who is talking all day about non work related topics but some friendly conversation is to be encouraged, it builds trust and comfort in the team.

When we interview candidates the ones who seem to fit in with the team socially will be at a strong advantage. Many of our hiring managers will start the interview with small talk to see if the candidate will be someone the team will want around. Few people want to work with someone who is ALL BUSINESS.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,772 times
This thread is giving me a headache. No one person is the same, everyone works the way that's best for them to work. My last job I got along great with my manager and co-worker and we had fun all day. Can't say the same about a contractor that was hired who was always telling one upmanship stories that we got really tired of. Since we worked 3 12 hour shifts we didn't work with other people all the time unless we were covering a shift for someone.

I hated working with the other couple of women there, they were always critical and nitpicking about something. The only people I'd really want to socialize with were my co-worker and maybe my manager which is 2 out of 12 people. My co-worker was also the only one I trusted enough to confide in about my husband being in prison. People don't talk to co-workers for a lot of reasons, that may be one of them. You have no idea how hard it is to pretend to people that your little world is just fine when the reality is that it's totally falling apart. I am grateful for the 3 years I spent with who I consider my BFF, he was the most wonderful person ever. And you know what? He hated answering the phone and dealing with people, but you would never have a clue. He was still the nicest and most gracious person you could ever meet. Everyone should be lucky enough to work with someone like him.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
How do I feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world? I don't. They're in their own world. I don't see a point in trying to barge my way into it or yank them out of it. I'm sure they have their reasons. I'm better off spending my time and energy on people who socialize like I do than trying to change someone who doesn't.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM

389 posts, read 692,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
Be honest--how do you feel about that coworker who barely ever says a word to anyone and always seems to be in his/her own world?
I don't think about them at all, because I'm thinking about what I'm being paid to think about -- my job responsibilities. I only expect my co-workers to be competent and civil.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
absolutely but yet it is those types(who have never left high school) who somehow are adept at making the more mature look less mature. to them if "all you do is think about your job responsibilities..." then it somehow means you are one-sided, myopic and not very ambitious". they will do this to you either on an individual level or do it behind your back

Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR-DIR View Post
Study after study has shown that employees who like each other as people and exchange SOME conversation about non work topics during slow times work more effectively as a team. And the 21st Century workplace is all about teams.

Yes, no one wants to work with someone who is talking all day about non work related topics but some friendly conversation is to be encouraged, it builds trust and comfort in the team.

When we interview candidates the ones who seem to fit in with the team socially will be at a strong advantage. Many of our hiring managers will start the interview with small talk to see if the candidate will be someone the team will want around. Few people want to work with someone who is ALL BUSINESS.
Oh Mr. "Hiring Director" (whoever you REALLY are, since I believe I was duped), you know that interviewees can always just fake it through, right? If a potential candidate did their research and was socially attuned, they could tell what the environment was like just within a few minutes of walking into the place and scanning the environment. People don't always know if an interview is going on so they act natural and it is a give-away to how the work environment really is. I doubt the typical person wouldn't be willing to do some small talk about the Superbowl or what have you, and then after they get hired become all business.

The real behaviors people don't want around in their team is someone who is rude, thinks they are entitled, doesn't have a warm and friendly demeanor, and isn't polite to the administrative assistant. These are all things that can be read from the get-go and the admin can report any tasteless behavior.

It's people like you who want the workplace to be some chatty social scene that's causing the real problems. Chatty people don't mean they are trustworthy; it's team loyalty, working in solidarity and accountability which deem someone trustworthy.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 20,581 times
You are talking in extremes. No one is saying you or anyone else should be chatting all day about non work related topics. Instead you need to find a middle ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Oh Mr. "Hiring Director" (whoever you REALLY are, since I believe I was duped), you know that interviewees can always just fake it through, right? If a potential candidate did their research and was socially attuned, they could tell what the environment was like just within a few minutes of walking into the place and scanning the environment. People don't always know if an interview is going on so they act natural and it is a give-away to how the work environment really is. I doubt the typical person wouldn't be willing to do some small talk about the Superbowl or what have you, and then after they get hired become all business.

The real behaviors people don't want around in their team is someone who is rude, thinks they are entitled, doesn't have a warm and friendly demeanor, and isn't polite to the administrative assistant. These are all things that can be read from the get-go and the admin can report any tasteless behavior.

It's people like you who want the workplace to be some chatty social scene that's causing the real problems. Chatty people don't mean they are trustworthy; it's team loyalty, working in solidarity and accountability which deem someone trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment