Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
Well no I would not hire the young lady as if she will take an email sent privately and spread it about the internet she could well do the same with more sensitive information or other private communication when she feels slighted.
However, if you send out an unprofessional, insulting email to someone (or in her case many times) who innocently sent an introductory email I would not hire them either and it says a lot about character, or a lack thereof.
I mean, would you hire someone who has some 20-odd years of experience who can not control their behavior enough to at least either ignore the email, or better, respond in a professional manner? No, in my eyes someone acting like that is unhinged and could well become a liability for my company.

Gross unprofessionalism and blatant personal attacks are not excusable; yes in the real world an apology is rarely forthcoming...she ought to get used to the fact there are plenty of nasty, low people out there who you could end up working under but if there is any lesson in this it is one ought to mind their behavior in such a setting: be a witch and it might come back to haunt you---on the flip side, share private communication publicly and you'll be branded as likely to divulge sensitive and confidential information with other parties and therefore can't be trusted. So, they both burned themselves in this.
Yes, I completely agree. Whether or not the young lady overreacted is one thing (I honestly don't think so,) but whether or not Blazek is just completely unprofessional is another. On top of that, obviously for someone who makes a living via email, blogging, and social networking, she's just too stupid to use those methods of communication judiciously and apparently isn't intelligent enough to consider the ramifications of her actions. Is this really someone you'd want representing you or finding talent for you?

This does not begin to touch on the fact that she seems like a downright cruel, sadistic person. All that aside, she comes across as some kind of a tantrum-throwing amateur wannabe. "Wah, I put myself in this position, and now people won't stop bothering me. Waaaah." Boo hoo. Talk about entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,655,913 times
Quote:
I found a link which is supposedly the original, introductory email Mekota sent:
The initial email to join the job board - Imgur
Nothing terse, 'entitled' or unprofessional about it.
So she wasn't even requesting to Linkin with Blazek's personal profile, only requesting admittance into a job seeking network. Blazek's answer in this light seems to make no sense, why she would single out this job seeker.

Other than the letter being a bit vague, nothing offensive about it.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
I don't think either bullied the other. Blazek was an idiot and was offensive but didn't actually bully the e-mailer who later posted it to imgur. The poster, BLURRED OUT any response, all she did was open up pandora's box. If anything we are all bullies for knocking Blazek in the days after the response went viral and her name got out as well as knocking the poster for doing so. That's just my two cents on the matter at hand. Both are wrong for how they handled things.

As for if I would hire either, I wouldn't ire Blazek at all and the blogger (IF I knew who the poster was.) Both aren't good for the team. HOWEVER there is one problem, we don't know who the blogger is. For all we know it could be our neighbor, co-worker's daughter, your niece, ect. Maybe she hasn't posted her own pictures on imgur so she is truly anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
Why I consider it "bullying" is not that she reacted, she OVER reacted. If someone slaps you, you can slap them back. If someone slaps you, you can't stab them. The lady was rude to her, and she set out to publicly humiliate her. There's something off with this mentality. It's not like the woman sent her a death threat.
The blogger only posted the reply with blurred out the names and any explicit identifiers.The problem is there are others she replied the same way. Rather than a delete and no response or a sorry I don't have any jobs that would suit you, she lambasted her based on the same stereotypical anti-millennial psychobabble we see on here about millennials.

Cleveland job bank operator Kelly Blazek shamed after brutal rejection letters go viral* - NY Daily News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Thanks for sharing that extra info. I find it interesting that there's always two sides to every story, but the media usually decides to print only one of them.
There are typically three sides (your's, mine, and the truth) though in this case I guess two being there are a loot of similar instances of Blazek's abrasive responses.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
As a professional - and one who deals with far more annoying people than some random job seeker - I'm shocked that anyone in such a prominent place in her local community would behave that way. I read the full email a while back, and I remember my jaw just dropped more and more as I got further into it. Who on earth does that?

And no, I don't see anything wrong about posting it online for a number of reasons.
1) She put herself in a position where strangers would contact her. Any time you establish yourself in a leadership position - even if it's just a local jobs board - you are going to be contacted by the public. If you cannot deal with them graciously, you should not put yourself in that kind of position.

2) It quickly arose that this was not the first time this woman had gone off on someone who was contacting her about this jobs board. The problem with people like this is that often their "victims" do not make a stink, and that kind of deplorable behavior becomes the norm. It can create a very dysfunctional environment in professional organizations and workplaces. People like this need to be called out when they behave with such unbounded malice.

3) By being in charge of a localized job board, she is in a sense representing a community. Her behavior damages the other professionals in this community. She's become a sort of unofficial representative of the marketing profession in her community, and she's giving it a bad name. One could even say she's the antithesis of what her profession is about. Indeed, any marketing person with a shred of common sense would be able to foresee the possible repercussions of the email she sent. The young woman who wrote to her, however, showed quite a bit of marketing savvy by posting the response.

A young person just starting out sent a perfectly innocent query to someone who had set herself up as an expert in a public forum, and the querent was met with dripping contempt and inexcusable rudeness. That's just unacceptable. Exposure was EXACTLY what needed to happen.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,030 times
My favorite part of the post is where she said that entitlement is what she expects out of "YOUR generation."

From the news, I feel like there is some war between millennials and the other generations; however, from my personal perspective, I have never felt this in any of the places that I have worked. Many of the folks that I have worked with are from other generations and they do not treat me with anything less than the respect that I give them. I think all of these hasty generalization of each generation is ridiculous.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,726,087 times
Blazek's email reeked of arrogance, especially the second to last paragraph: "I suggest you join the other job bank in town- oh wait, there is none." It's especially ironic that the next paragraph sees her accusing the job seeker of arrogance, "You're welcome for your humility lesson for the year."

Hopefully the media backlash will bring her down a notch.

This should be a lesson and a warning for all of us to not let our accomplishments and accolades get to our heads, as anybody can be brought down.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,204,355 times
It is nice to see someone as arrogant as Blazek be put in her place. You can politely refuse a Linkedin or other similar request with class. She chose to have no class. I choose to have no sympathy. She knew better and should have exercised better judgement.

If she had counted to 10 or maybe to 30 before replying, she could have avoided all of this. I'll bet she regretted it even before the repercussions which she deserved, but can't prove it.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times
This is the downfall of social media of any kind. People need to learn to limit what they do online as well as what they say. Period. Also, linkedin shouldn't be the go-to for people looking for a job, it should be a third or fifth option, or 23325th, not the first.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:04 PM

752 posts, read 1,496,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
This is the downfall of social media of any kind. People need to learn to limit what they do online as well as what they say. Period. Also, linkedin shouldn't be the go-to for people looking for a job, it should be a third or fifth option, or 23325th, not the first.

Social media is one of the best things which has ever happened to us as a society, a global society...yes, it can be used with malice and evil intent but it can also do great things, which of those things clearly outweighs the bad any time. People have a voice to a much broader 'audience' which prior they did not and great things have come from that. The oppressed have a way to voice where before they did not (take Egypt and Syria for example).

So for the young lady, for all we know she had searched in many other places before contacting Blazek (which is probable) as LinkedIn is generally used for networking...but among recent graduates, especially those moving long distance, it is not unusual for them to be using it for job seeking.
If there is any lesson in this, it is what you say can come back to haunt you! But use it wisely and it is capable of enormous benefits.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,726,087 times
Quote:
Social media is one of the best things which has ever happened to us as a society, a global society...yes, it can be used with malice and evil intent but it can also do great things, which of those things clearly outweighs the bad any time. People have a voice to a much broader 'audience' which prior they did not and great things have come from that. The oppressed have a way to voice where before they did not (take Egypt and Syria for example).

So for the young lady, for all we know she had searched in many other places before contacting Blazek (which is probable) as LinkedIn is generally used for networking...but among recent graduates, especially those moving long distance, it is not unusual for them to be using it for job seeking.
If there is any lesson in this, it is what you say can come back to haunt you! But use it wisely and it is capable of enormous benefits.
Exactly. Social media is sort of like a knife-- its sharpness makes it irreplaceable in the kitchen, but deadly in, say, a night club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment