Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times

Advertisements

Wow, I stumbled on this thread by accident and am amazed at the philosophy of a couple of the posters here.
Expecting life to be fair is their first mistake. We all have about 40-50 years to make an existence for ourselves. You can do it alone or with a partner. That's all we get, and noone leaves here alive.
Some people are smarter than others and find the better paths. Some are not as smart or worse, stupid, and will end up in a more humble situation.
Since the beginning of civilization there have been the wealthy and there have been bums. Their stories have been the same throughout history, and their skeletons all look alike.
It's part life choices and part inate talent. Expecting the world to bestow a fair and carbon-neutral life upon them is exactly why they will struggle. If you use up your time on earth complaining, you'll be in for a surprise when you find that you are too old to work and didn't do what was necessary to store enough acorns.
I can only guess at the age of the more prolific whiners here. The ones that type thousands of words complaining about perceived boogeymen keeping them down. I'm guessing they are in their 20's based on the nouveau excuses for their station in life.
My life wasn't anything to write a book about, but I married a wonderful girl, and we both worked hard and smart.
We are both nearing retirement with only what we have accomplished as backup. No pensions, no government or military retirement. Just saving and investing. We reached critical mass recently at ages 52 & 60. With two unremarkable jobs, we banked almost a million dollars in the last ten years alone. It can be done.
Buck up and grow up. Noone owes you anything. Certainly not me.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:01 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous2004 View Post
It means that they are:

1. employed
2. believe that they themselves are entitled, but shutter at the "audacity" of someone else believing they should be given a right to work or want to work
3. they will probably be crying a river when they, themselves, find themselves in the job hunting war
Or none of the above. Might mean that they have had to work, and earn anything and everything they have ever received. That when fate dealt them a lousy hand, they realized it was up to them to pick themselves up, and go on. That if they sat around and wasted time feeling sorry for themselves, blamed others and expected other people to provide that to which they believed they were entitled, they'd never get back on track, because that's just how life is....

Somehow I have a feeling all these are foreign concepts to you......

Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
"I don't give a damn about my fellow man/woman."

"I got mine. Sucks for you."

"Me, me, me, me... "

"I lack decency."

"I lack empathy."

"I worry about me and my family and everything else I can put the word 'my' in front of. Who gives a damn if someone else is sh1t out of luck."
More evidence that the concept of self-sufficiency and personal responsibility have become archaic concepts, replaced by a liberal sense of entitlement and the need to blame others for one's own failures.....

Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Anyone care to share what they mean when they say or hear the phrases, "No one owes you anything.", and "No one owes you a job."?
Plenty of speculation, all of it wrong (as it pertains to me.)

Here is what I am trying to get at when I say "No one owes you anything:" No one owes you anything.

And let me give the gist of what I am trying to get at when I say "No one owes you a job:" No one owes you a job.

It never ceases to amaze that a philosophy that requires each of us to be of service and value to the rest of mankind in order to prosper, is somehow thought to be inferior to one in which all manner of rewards are "owed" without regard to one's benefit to the rest of society.

Like others have said, grow up, buck up, and figure out how to be of value to the rest of us. No one owes you a job.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
There's a popular conservative/libertarian narrative that holds that the job market is a meritocracy, so that anyone who can't get a job must not deserve one. People who complain about their job prospects are therefore nothing but a bunch of whiners. People who go around saying these things are basically Social Darwinists who have no empathy for others and no understanding of how the job market actually works.

Actually, those would be the folks who have been in the job market for many years and know a whole lot more how it works than those who are sitting around whining about how they're owed the job of their choice, and blaming everything and everyone but themselves because they aren't working.....

Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
This is a common complaint by individuals who generally lack empathy and who don't believe luck has much effect in life, and it is used as an excuse to justify bad corporate behavior and the cutting of social safety nets. Not surprisingly, this belief is grounded in faulty logic, which I will explore in detail.

Failure 1 - Society is not a meritocracy with enough jobs and training for everyone: This theory of job placement is based upon the failed assumption that one can "earn" a job in all circumstances. For this reason, they believe that no one "owes you a job," but once you have the skills, you will be employed. This failed line of reasoning only works in a world where there are clearly enough jobs for everyone - so the only thing holding a person back is their own abilities, where on-the-job training is common so people can gain new skills as needed, and where corporations only hire people based upon skill, not based upon: connections, exploitation of cheap labor, age, race, etc. In short, it doesn't work in the real world.

Failure 2 - Any belief derived from the Just World Fallacy is also a failure: This "nobody owes you anything" belief is clearly derived from the Just World Fallacy and ties into the notion of the "entirely self-made man." The Just World belief system dictates that "everyone gets what they deserve in life" - which then leads to the corollary, "people who get bad things in life deserve it." This leads to various groundless proclamations and spewing of hatred such as all unemployed people are "lazy," "stupid," "have no skills" and so on. As with the rest of this system of beliefs, the facts don't support it, but people who buy into such notions do so to bolster their egos and convince themselves that they are the "entirely self-made man" and thus have "earned" everything they've obtained in life... for that reason, facts are of little interest to them since their self worth is tied up in ignoring the facts.

Failure 3 - Failure to recognize payment into the system - people buy jobs with education and experience. While one can say that nobody "owes" anyone anything, it is disingenuous to pretend that the time and effort a person puts into their education and career should count for nothing. People don't spend tens of thousands of dollar on college educations and work for years or decades in their field for fun - they do it to earn money through a job, So, proclaiming that none of that is worth anything is basically invalidating a person's payment into the system by denying them what they are purchasing - a job. In many ways, it wouldn't be different than taking the check a customer signs for a car and then refusing to deliver the car since "nobody owes you a car." Yes, that's technically true - nobody "owes you a car"... except you paid for it... just like all the people out of work paid for a job with an education and years of hard work and experience.

Summary: In short, pay no heed to the people who spout off nonsense about "nobody owing you anything" since they want a society where people pay up front and may get nothing for their efforts. Not one of them has any idea how such a dystopian society will function, particularly one with run-away poverty and corporate rule,and they really don't care provided it doesn't affect them, of course!

....musings of the chronically unemployed......

Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Quote:
Anyone care to share what they mean when they say or hear the phrases, "No one owes you anything.", and "No one owes you a job."?
It means that it applies even to the people who say that and insinuate via dog whistles and code words, that minorities [blacks] are the only ones making the claim. However, those are the same people who love to call people lazy moochers, but brag about being self-made successes, which is profound bs.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If there are 2 jobs and 10 applicants -- who are you to say which one is "owed" a job? Wouldn't the guy who gets the job also be just as much owed as the ones who didn't get the job?

If everyone is owed a job, then they are equally owed except the one with more qualifications and experience is usually going to get it.
That or they'll hire all 10 applicants, and each one will get to work 8 hours a week.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
It means that it applies even to the people who say that and insinuate via dog whistles and code words, that minorities [blacks] are the only ones making the claim. However, those are the same people who love to call people lazy moochers, but brag about being self-made successes, which is profound bs.
Why is it that only you can hear the dog whistles?

I do agree about "self-made successes." I am definitely not a self-made success. I had access to all the other benefits available to everybody else in the lower class inner city I grew up in. It was all luck--and the harder I worked, the luckier I got.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Not true. I have a diverse friend base and I know a lot of people of color and some would have no problem with the statement that nothing it owed to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment