Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^This.

If the person isn't licensed, bonded and insured and s/he gets injured while working at your home, your homeowner's insurance won't cover the expenses. That comes out of your pocket.

I won't hire anyone who just rang my doorbell asking for work---and this includes the neighborhood kids who want to shovel your driveway and walk, mow your lawn or rake your leaves.
The insurance company will cover it, that's what your liability insurance is for. However, there is a very strong chance that your home insurance premiums will go up for the next three to five years. And if you've had other claims within that same time frame, you could be cancelled, with difficulty in finding home insurance again, and not without paying through the nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
If someone rang your doorbell and offered to clean, shovel snow, mow your lawn, walk your dog, or do anything you can think of under the sun for minimum wage an hour because they are ' desperate for work and need money', how would your respond.

for the sake of argument, let's say the person has ID or someway of proving with 100% certainty they have no criminal record, and in fact cannot/ will not cheat you in anyway. Would you attempt to find some kind of task for this person to do? Or would you simply slam your door in their face?

Also, what kind of reaction would a business owner, manager, or person in a hiring position have to someone who approaches them in this manner? Again, for the sake of argument let's say they have spotless references and a proven track record,although it is several years out of date.
If there was a magical way to know the person is safe, yes I would. Absolutely.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,776,520 times
With the internet today, market yourself. Going door to door these days really pisses people off. Most people who go door to door and scam artists. Use craigslist and other sites and have the people come to you.

I get really annoyed and angry when people come to my door. They always seem to come right when I'm laying down for the first chance at a nap I've had in weeks, or during sex, or during a phone call. The last one that came to my door was asking for donations for a Children's hospital. I called the cops as it was a total scam! I also told him off and followed him out of my neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,742,360 times
Residential no, commercial yes.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 AM

582 posts, read 779,756 times
Someone that is willing to go out door to door to find work instead of begging, I'd find him some work to do. There is always yard work to be done, cars needing washed, etc.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,832 times
This worked in the post depression era, now? I don't know. I had "alternative energy suppliers" a few times coming knocking on my door and trying to sell me some plans. I had Jehovites a few times. Strangers coming to my door uninvited, no, I would not. I work from home so anybody who comes announced and whom I don't know is really disturbing my day. Safety is another issue too. We've had people posing as utility meter readers, and even cops get in and rape somebody, on a separate occasion. I am a woman and live alone, so that's another reason I would never let strangers into my home. I can clean and do housework myself. Why would I pay anybody to do it for me? I feel for the unemployed who go door to door. I don't think it's safe for them, or for me. I live in NYC apartment building.
Now going door to door in a rural or suburban area anywhere outside NYC, especially upstate, where people have dogs and surely guns could really get you in a lot of trouble. They can set the dog on you, threaten you with the gun, and of course call the local police. If you see a "confederate flag" anywhere on the property, that's a "signal" to some types of folk to not even bother. Basically, it depends where you're going door to door. Generally, I REALLY don't think it's a good idea.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,832 times
Correction: two criminals posed as fake police and got into a woman's apartment and raped her in front of her toddler. Absolutely not trying to say "cops got in and raped somebody."

Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I wouldn't hire him but not for the reasons you might think of.

If you hire him and he gets hurt on the job who carries his workman's compensation insurance? It's like hiring the cheap guy to cut a tree down... if he gets hurt he could end up costing a fortune.

I need to hire a painter for the trim around my house. Maybe 4 hours work for which I would pay $25/hr but I can't find one that cheap that has everything I need to protect myself.
Very true --- people should check with their homeowners' insurance before hiring people work around the house - especially people who don't have insurance.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
With the internet today, market yourself. Going door to door these days really pisses people off. Most people who go door to door and scam artists. Use craigslist and other sites and have the people come to you.

I get really annoyed and angry when people come to my door. They always seem to come right when I'm laying down for the first chance at a nap I've had in weeks, or during sex, or during a phone call. The last one that came to my door was asking for donations for a Children's hospital. I called the cops as it was a total scam! I also told him off and followed him out of my neighborhood.
Yes, unfortunately thieves have caught onto the fact that going door to door makes it easy to scam people. The Elizabeth Smart case should have taught people something --- the parents brought a homeless pervert into their home so he came back and kidnapped their daughter.

My neighbor allowed in a guy who claimed he needed money to visit his sister in a hospital across town. It turns out he was casing their house, by letting him in to give him $20, he could see exactly where things were in their house, where the back door was located, so the next day they were burglarized.

And you really can't trust anyone --- not even 74 year old ladies looking for a lost dog:

Elk Rapids woman arrested for breaking into homes using dog trick : News : UpNorthLive.com

A 74-year-old Elk Rapids woman was arrested for breaking into several homes in Antrim, Leelanau and Grand Traverse counties under the guise of looking for a missing dog.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times
Quote:
However, most desperate people going around and trying to drum up some way to make a few dollars, will not be in a position to use craigslist, etc., to find work. They won't have a telephone. They won't have the facilities and money to make up flyers.

If they are honest people trying to find someway to earn a few dollars, they are doing it because it is the only way they can think of to make desperately needed money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment