Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM

265 posts, read 410,250 times

Advertisements

If someone rang your doorbell and offered to clean, shovel snow, mow your lawn, walk your dog, or do anything you can think of under the sun for minimum wage an hour because they are ' desperate for work and need money', how would your respond.

for the sake of argument, let's say the person has ID or someway of proving with 100% certainty they have no criminal record, and in fact cannot/ will not cheat you in anyway. Would you attempt to find some kind of task for this person to do? Or would you simply slam your door in their face?

Also, what kind of reaction would a business owner, manager, or person in a hiring position have to someone who approaches them in this manner? Again, for the sake of argument let's say they have spotless references and a proven track record,although it is several years out of date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
It would better to create a marketing piece (post card, flyers, etc) to put on doors, etc than to have a stranger show up at someone's door. Also put something on Craigslist.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,026,576 times
If someone approached me at my place of work and ask for minimum wage work, I would seriously consider it. My company is in need of someone to do lots of cleaning.

Lots of people do this, just not at private homes. They go into restaurants, stores, and what nots and just ask for work.

There are lots of house cleaners that do approach private homes, but just not in person. They put up flyers, or get referrals from people they already know.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
I would point out the "no soliciting sign" and ask to see their license. We have a law requiring all door-to-door people (even as in this case) to have a city permit, which is subject to a background check. If they knock at a home with a sign even with a permit they are fined.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM

137 posts, read 200,085 times
In a residential setting people would be more cautious. In a professional environment they would be more open. It all depends on where you live too. Over the winter my sister kept hiring people from craigslist to shovel her driveway. I found my handyman on CL also and when any little thing needs fixing I call him.

Perhaps you could stick to one trade and build up your clientele. When people are happy with your service they'll refer you. I agree with Charlygal about the brochures or fliers. You could get good business this way. I use to place resume fliers up at local community boards and on CL. Very good business. I guy I know does well cleaning commercial windows in strip malls. Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,962,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
If someone rang your doorbell and offered to clean, shovel snow, mow your lawn, walk your dog, or do anything you can think of under the sun for minimum wage an hour because they are ' desperate for work and need money', how would your respond.

for the sake of argument, let's say the person has ID or someway of proving with 100% certainty they have no criminal record, and in fact cannot/ will not cheat you in anyway. Would you attempt to find some kind of task for this person to do? Or would you simply slam your door in their face?

Also, what kind of reaction would a business owner, manager, or person in a hiring position have to someone who approaches them in this manner? Again, for the sake of argument let's say they have spotless references and a proven track record,although it is several years out of date.
I wouldn't hire him but not for the reasons you might think of.

If you hire him and he gets hurt on the job who carries his workman's compensation insurance? It's like hiring the cheap guy to cut a tree down... if he gets hurt he could end up costing a fortune.

I need to hire a painter for the trim around my house. Maybe 4 hours work for which I would pay $25/hr but I can't find one that cheap that has everything I need to protect myself.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:25 PM

22,519 posts, read 12,072,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I wouldn't hire him but not for the reasons you might think of.

If you hire him and he gets hurt on the job who carries his workman's compensation insurance? It's like hiring the cheap guy to cut a tree down... if he gets hurt he could end up costing a fortune.

I need to hire a painter for the trim around my house. Maybe 4 hours work for which I would pay $25/hr but I can't find one that cheap that has everything I need to protect myself.
^This.

If the person isn't licensed, bonded and insured and s/he gets injured while working at your home, your homeowner's insurance won't cover the expenses. That comes out of your pocket.

I won't hire anyone who just rang my doorbell asking for work---and this includes the neighborhood kids who want to shovel your driveway and walk, mow your lawn or rake your leaves.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,298,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^This.

If the person isn't licensed, bonded and insured and s/he gets injured while working at your home, your homeowner's insurance won't cover the expenses. That comes out of your pocket.

I won't hire anyone who just rang my doorbell asking for work---and this includes the neighborhood kids who want to shovel your driveway and walk, mow your lawn or rake your leaves.
Who was the idiot that decided I have to pay for someone's injuries if they get hurt on my property?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Call the po po as instructed (by them) for anyone ringing a doorbell near a posted No Soliciting sign.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM

367 posts, read 698,859 times
I would advertise on craigslist. If a person is interested in your services they will call you.No need to waste your gas riding around knocking on doors and being rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment