Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM

186 posts, read 349,585 times

Advertisements

In my last 3 interviews the interviewers have remarked that I have had way to many jobs in 6 years. I have only had 3 jobs in 6 years. All three jobs are in the same industry, Customer Service, and each job change was for a legitimate reason.

Job 1 Call Center Customer Service job worked for 2 years ended the job because I still lived at home with my mom and was only 19 and she was moving to another state and I didn't make enough money to live on my own.

Job 2 Call Center Customer Service job worked for almost 3 years even got 3 promotions while working with the company. I had to quit the job because I was hospitalized and during the recovery period I needed a very lax schedule and the company was not able to accommodate the schedule.

Job 3 Call Center Tech Support job only worked 5 months because I was not good at IT, felt I was taking a job away from someone that that wanted to do the job(Probably not a good reason to quit but I had no passion for this job)

All of these jobs were left in the right way with two weeks notices, and I keep up with two of the HR managers, they email me whenever they are references for me.

So I have finished two degrees, graduated one with honors, have gotten almost a dozen accolades from the school, and inducted into 2 honor societies. But all these companies looked at on my resume was that I have had 3 jobs in 6 years. One interviewer even said that I was a job hopper and seem to change jobs very often. I am only 24 and have no clue what else to say to interviewers to better impress them. Any suggestions on what to say to make myself look better?

Last edited by Scared to Life; 04-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: I had horrible grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
Leave off Job 3.

Otherwise I think you should be fine. Although Call centers generally do not have a good reputation. But at 24, just graduated college it shouldn't matter much.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:09 PM

331 posts, read 548,071 times
The job market today is set up so that people have to job hop. Everything is moving towards temping/contracting/etc. At the same time, job applicants are chastised for job hopping or for having a long stretch of time without a job. So you can't win nowadays. Employment history is "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Old 04-25-2014, 06:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
So I have finished two degrees, graduated one with honors, have gotten almost a dozen accolades from the school, and inducted into 2 honor societies. But all these companies looked at on my resume was that I have had 3 jobs in 6 years. One interviewer even said that I was a job hopper and seem to change jobs very often. I am only 24 and have no clue what else to say to interviewers to better impress them. Any suggestions on what to say to make myself look better?
What does any of this have to do with the working world? So what you were a rock star while in school. Not to be mean or anything but I hate to see people living under some fallacy that their school life means anything in the real world of work.

Leave off the 5 month job. It's pretty standard that companies want employees who will work for them long term. The customer service industry is already somewhat flaky and they are just looking for the most stable people.

Also, what are your long term plans. Are you planning on making customer service your life long career? I encourage you to build a career plan now while you're still young.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
In my last 3 interviews the interviewers have remarked that I have had way to many jobs in 6 years. I have only had 3 jobs in 6 years. All three jobs are in the same industry, Customer Service, and each job change was for a legitimate reason.

Job 1 Call Center Customer Service job worked for 2 years ended the job because I still lived at home with my mom and was only 19 and she was moving to another state and I didn't make enough money to live on my own.

Job 2 Call Center Customer Service job worked for almost 3 years even got 3 promotions while working with the company. I had to quit the job because I was hospitalized and during the recovery period I needed a very lax schedule and the company was not able to accommodate the schedule.

Job 3 Call Center Tech Support job only worked 5 months because I was not good at IT, felt I was taking a job away from someone that that wanted to do the job(Probably not a good reason to quit but I had no passion for this job)

All of these jobs were left in the right way with two weeks notices, and I keep up with two of the HR managers, they email me whenever they are references for me.

Are these all jobs after college? I don't include jobs before college but it's different for you I guess since you are doing the same thing. I would agree with Giant Rutgers leave off the last job but just make sure that you don't get burned with this during a background checks. I believe people will mostly label you a job hopper for the last job being short.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:46 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
The job market today is set up so that people have to job hop. Everything is moving towards temping/contracting/etc. At the same time, job applicants are chastised for job hopping or for having a long stretch of time without a job. So you can't win nowadays. Employment history is "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
To get a decent raise I would most certainly recommend job hopping. They say the best way to get a raise is to change jobs.

I was laid off in late 2010... went to work in early 2011 after accepting a lowball offer. Left that job in early 2013 for a substantial (35%) increase after declined their 2% take it or leave it offer... was laid off from that job after 6 months to accept a new one a few days later with a 5% increase and was laid off from that job in January. I accepted a new position in February and got another 5% increase.

At 2% a year it would be quite a long time to get where I am now after 3 job changes in 3 years. I didn't plan it like this by any means... the job I started in 2011 was a big corporation that didn't pay. The two jobs that followed were small businesses that gave me the money I wanted but didn't have stability.

The new job is another big corporation AND I got the money I wanted... so I'm finally winning in both money and job stability.

On a side note, while job searching in early February I actually had a potential employer comment on my "job hopping" despite the fact my recent employment history was all layoffs except for the one position where I left for the 35% increase after 2 years.

They were talking like I had worked 2 days and got fired or something... LOL

Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
I was told the same thing about being a job hopper at a couple of interviews. Big whoop, they didn't hire me. Someone else did. Sometimes, an employer wants someone who will stick around for the long term. Other times, they want someone to fill in for the overload, as the company tries to get a handle on things.

Beyond that, some companies just want someone who can learn fast and adapt to the work environment quickly, and without too much effort from the employer. A job hopper (who left by their own free will) has successfully demonstrated their competency and adaptability. This is far better than the chronic screw up who has accumulated a long list of short stays due to their own incompetence and inability to satisfy the demands of the employer.

All I'm saying is, there is a place for the job hopper. In my case, job hopping has allowed me to get a look at how things are done in many different settings. This can be applied in future settings, where I can draw from my experience to solve a problem, or improve the efficiency of a job. This experience is quite valuable, and there really is no better way to get it in such a short period of time.

I know many people who have stayed at one company for years on end. They only know what their employer wants them to know. If they lost their job, they would have a very difficult time replacing it, since their skillset is so narrow. Admittedly, employers love these types. They don't have to give them raises because they have very few options. Since they have been doing the same job for so long, they have not been learning anything new. So, their brain is mush and there is no risk of them retraining for something more valuable. They are not terribly ambitious, so they stay content doing the same job over and over again... Until the company no longer needs them. Don't be that worker... The job hopper might raise some eyebrows, but the complacent workplace doormat can't even get an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
To get a decent raise I would most certainly recommend job hopping. They say the best way to get a raise is to change jobs.
The way I see it, it's not so much that you're getting a raise, it's that you're moving up to positions that produce more value, and warrant more pay. Why can't all the minimum wage burger flippers "jump ship" for raises? Because they do not produce enough value per hour.

My first job in HS paid $14. Pushing steel in a union plant for an inflated wage. The job I had 8 years later paid 65K a year, and involved directly producing about $400K worth of value added work in a year. I didn't get there by following a sinking ship to the bottom... I jumped into new roles and learned new tricks. The amount of money a company can afford to pay tends to say something about their track record for success. Obviously, that is where I would want to be, so I can learn from them.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM

289 posts, read 505,089 times
You're only 24. Customer service industry jobs that people your age take are not supposed to be permanent. You're at a point where you're going from teenager to adult, from high school grad to college grad, and you're picking up experience and skills along the way that should help you earn better quality work. I had three jobs within a 3 year span and nobody complained about it to me, but then again that was close to a decade ago when employers weren't so nitpicky about absolutely everything.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:10 PM

186 posts, read 349,585 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback. No I never want to work in a call center again a day in my life, you will have to drag me in screaming. I am currently applying to a job with my younger sister pushing people around in wheelchairs at the Atlanta Airport because "they hire anybody" and right now I am desperate for money.

Thanks for the advice I will take the 5 month job off the resume.

This hiring atmosphere is so hostile to potential employees.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM

15 posts, read 16,698 times
Literally have had 5 jobs in the last 5 years and im only 23. 6 if you count me working for my dad off and on.

Its soon to be 7 later this year if i can properly prep for landing a job at one of the big 4 tech companies.

Some places just suck to work at and sometimes things like moving get in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment