Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 16 18.18%
No 72 81.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Hell no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 03:21 PM

552 posts, read 835,009 times
To be honest, if I'm underpaid and/or disrespected at a job I will turn it around and milk them for everything they are worth. That's what I currently do as well as do things that will negatively affect the company (Subtlety of course)

That way when it's time for me to leave or they let me go, I wont feel taken advantage of. :-) I see people all the time have resentment towards a company because they were suckers and busted their butts for them only to have the company let them go.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:31 PM

802 posts, read 1,683,017 times
I work retail, but always work as hard as I can. Some customers can make you feel like crap though.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM

118 posts, read 218,114 times
I've had the exact job described, and though I voted no because I'd like to think I would phone it in, looking back I realized I did in fact give 100% and just went home and cried every night or complained over drinks with friends. I also got out of there quite quickly, despite the fact that on paper it was the most prestigious job I've had and could have led to great opportunities. Instead, I took the first job that paid a living wage I could find, in a different field.

I do agree with Tcoma11, though, that I also milked them without feeling guilty. I took every free thing I could get out of there, and badmouthed them to everyone I could think of...which now I don't feel so great about, but at the time it's all I could do. It's also weirdly one of the main reasons I left - it wasn't the low pay and being screamed at/having objects thrown at me that did it, it's that I felt like it was turning me into a horrible person.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:51 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
If you intend on taking a paycheck from your employer, your obligation is to produce 100%.

If you are dissatisfied with the pay or the work conditions, you seek some place else to work.

But as long as you are in the employ of someone, do your best. Divorce your job if need be, but don't be the cause of the divorce.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:59 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
I should probably be including a link, but I have read studies that suggest the answer is yes.

People will tell you 'no, absolutely not' because it sounds like a recipe for disaster, but the truth is that a persons' willingness to work/work ethic is usually not dependent upon salary or workplace environment, and if anything micromanaging keeps them more focused-- at the expense of their nervous systems.

The old 'people work for money' myth is what right wingers and Ayn Rand use to convince people that the whole system will fall apart if you redistribute the wealth... but most sociological research says that working strictly for money actually discourages hard work because workers focus more on the reward than the job itself.

Volunteers often work harder or just as hard as paid workers... because they are doing it by choice, or because they feel it is a good thing to do.

People work hard because they want to be seen as hard workers-- they expect rewards, but it doesn't inspire them to work harder.

This is why the capitalist system is inherently flawed and dehumanizing-- the emphasis is on the rewards, not the work.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:04 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If you intend on taking a paycheck from your employer, your obligation is to produce 100%.

If you are dissatisfied with the pay or the work conditions, you seek some place else to work.

But as long as you are in the employ of someone, do your best. Divorce your job if need be, but don't be the cause of the divorce.
The problem I have with this is that it plays into the 'country of opportunity' myth, as if employers are going out of their way to create jobs instead of cut them for added profit.

Besides unpaid internships, it is common practice to cut hours and dole them out different to avoid paying full time wages, support politicians who attack or undermine Unions (while giving employers huge tax breaks that have no effect on wages or prices and just go straight into the owner's pocket at the expense of social programs that could have hired new workers), and hire MBAs to come into their businesses and make them 'more efficient' (ie: cut out the high-paying jobs so the CEOs can take more home). This is so common nowadays it is impossible to find a business that does not do it.

Personally, I think everyone should just go on welfare to protest, but that's not going to happen.

Last edited by Spatula City; 05-14-2014 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 04:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Would you still be willing to give your employer your 100%? The ethical answer is "Yes"
If you're getting paid 60c on the dollar, then do 60% of the required work.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,533 times
It depends.

I took a **** job for about 8 months where I got paid $85/hr and everyone else was making around $125/hr. The people were dicks and the worked sucked, but aside from that it was still $85/hr and it was really easy to quit. However, if you are talking 8 dollars an hour working with terrible people? No.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It depends.

I took a **** job for about 8 months where I got paid $85/hr and everyone else was making around $125/hr. The people were dicks and the worked sucked, but aside from that it was still $85/hr and it was really easy to quit. However, if you are talking 8 dollars an hour working with terrible people? No.
Well, you really can't make this comparison. Usually someone who earns $8/hour didn't go to school, while someone who makes $80 as a contractor has some kind of technical background or expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment