Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 02:57 PM

69 posts, read 66,450 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am an experienced IT person who applied an IT job in MetLife one month ago, passed all interview steps such as two phone interviews and two BBI(Behavioral based interview)

My final BBI interview was conducted on 5/22, one and half week ago(last last Thursday), since then until now, 6/1, Sunday, no news from the company.

The day before yesterday(5/30 Friday), I called HR to ask any status update,he was surprised and told me that he also wasn't told anything from hiring manager(team), then he said he would ask them to find out....

But so far still no answer....

It seemed to me they were in a hurry to hire quick, but my question is, how long it could take to get an answer, normally, after a final interview?

And how they decide? every ones involved in interview process should agree all OK,or, just Hiring manager decides?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,754,674 times
Depends, EVERY situation is different. Usually I think it is a good sign if you do not hear right away, it's easy to furnish a no offer letter. My advice, don't think about it keep applying/interviewing as if you did not get the job. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 PM

23,621 posts, read 24,171,106 times
A tip that's always worked for me:

At the end of each interview "interaction" (meeting or phone interview), I always ask for the "next steps" and when I would expect to hear back from them. If the answer is vague, such as: "we'll get back to you", or "we're still looking through resumes", is it probably not a good sign.

If they respond with specific next steps, such as: "we'll have a decision by next Monday", or "we want you to meet others on the team very soon", it is a good sign.

These days, every situation is different.

Usually, the hiring manager obtains input from the others who have interviewed the candidates and the hiring manager will make the final decision.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,160,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

At the end of each interview "interaction" (meeting or phone interview), I always ask for the "next steps" and when I would expect to hear back from them. If the answer is vague, such as: "we'll get back to you", or "we're still looking through resumes", is it probably not a good sign.
In my experience, a specific answer is no better than a vague one. I remember an employer who told me he'd be in touch "by the end of next week" who never did get back in touch.

I just use that answer as a guideline for how soon to give up hope on that job.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:11 PM

69 posts, read 66,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

If they respond with specific next steps, such as: "we'll have a decision by next Monday", or "we want you to meet others on the team very soon", it is a good sign.

These days, every situation is different.

Usually, the hiring manager obtains input from the others who have interviewed the candidates and the hiring manager will make the final decision.
The interviewer on the last BBI interview was supervisor, at the end of interview, I didn't ask next step, but he told me that HR would contact me today(same day of interview) or tomorrow(Friday, 23th)<= is this good sign?
( But no news from no one.)
(The hiring manager interviewed me at first phone interview and I think he liked me.)

Old 06-01-2014, 08:28 PM

44 posts, read 44,958 times
The fact of the matter is, you do not know and no amount of reasoning or worrying can help you. Until you begin your new job, nothing is certain.

I myself am waiting for word one way or another on a new job that I want badly. I know how it feels. We can analyze all we want, but no matter how well it seemed to go, or how badly for that matter, we simply cannot know.

Try not to worry about it. That's truly all you can do. Focus on something else, maybe apply for other jobs that sound appealing to you in the meantime.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:36 PM

23,621 posts, read 24,171,106 times
That does "appear" to be a good sign, but without seeing the actual interaction (e.g. body language and non-verbal behaviors), it is hard to be 100% certain.

If you still have not heard anything from HR, I would politely call/e-mail again early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2014_hi_there View Post
The interviewer on the last BBI interview was supervisor, at the end of interview, I didn't ask next step, but he told me that HR would contact me today(same day of interview) or tomorrow(Friday, 23th)<= is this good sign?
( But no news from no one.)
(The hiring manager interviewed me at first phone interview and I think he liked me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment