Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:41 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Some employers are dropping insurance largely because they can and dump their employees into the exchange.
Yes, they have that option.

That doesn't mean they're forced to do so, like some are trying to get at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 AM

35,086 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes, they have that option.

That doesn't mean they're forced to do so, like some are trying to get at.
They aren't compelled to do so, and many employers continue to provide health insurance (often better or cheaper than what's available on the exchanges) to retain their talent.

However, some employers just don't care and will drop the coverage to enhance the bottom line. There's nothing stopping this either.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
They aren't compelled to do so, and many employers continue to provide health insurance (often better or cheaper than what's available on the exchanges) to retain their talent.

However, some employers just don't care and will drop the coverage to enhance the bottom line. There's nothing stopping this either.
Very true.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:38 AM

552 posts, read 835,009 times
problem is, employers aren't giving employees anything in place of it ( like an increased salary, or more vacation time), so this change only benefits the company

Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
problem is, employers aren't giving employees anything in place of it ( like an increased salary, or more vacation time), so this change only benefits the company
Gee, when there were increasing benefits weren't unions a factor? It has not been much discussed that union decline has corresponded with decline in pay and benefits. My personal choice many years ago was to quit several jobs when I would have had to join the union. In retrospect I think that may have been a mistake. The couple of guys that I know that chose to stick it out and join retired earlier with benefits. It amazes me that many who gripe about this are jumping to the Corp news media bait that unions are all bad. Too big seems to be bad whether Corp or union. Two of my kids on an upward path in a private company are getting screwed shortly after the two companies went public.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM

552 posts, read 835,009 times
Yeah, unions are a good thing for employees, but bad for companies and management.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,636 times
With a proper cooperative relationship it can help Mngmt make better long term and productive decisions. Good for all concerned.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:56 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:

Society is changing and some employers just aren't with the program. Those who extended generous or whatever spousal/family coverage that aren't happy SSM and or gays having children use ACA or other excuses to drop coverage.

Even without qualms mentioned above some employers are making cutbacks on spousal coverage. UPS among others has or will begin to remove spouses of certain employees from their health plans if said persons have access to coverage elsewhere.

Some businesses are giving employees increase in wages when they drop health coverage usually under the theory they will use that money to purchase coverage. OTOH yes, there are those who are simply eliminating insurance but not giving any sort of increase.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Large corp. America still offers benefits to their FTE the rest are forced to temp positions with no benefits. Smaller companies are cutting left and right. It's one of the reasons I am leaving my job. The worst health plan I have seen, major medical only.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,089 times
You are going to see more and more spousal coverage dropped. And they will at some point make family coverage so high. That few will be able to afford it. That the thing people just do not get society is changing. Meaning costs for health benefits will keep going up. They will go up much faster then wages or profits. At some point they will pass a good part on to you. I am talking like you pay half they will pay half. They have been paying most of the cost. There are not going to keep doing that. So they will hire more temps part timers or contractors. And offshore more jobs along the way. They want to cut your benefits way back. May it will be this year or ten years down the line. You are going to pay a whole a lot more and get a whole lot less. That is if you even have benefits to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment