Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 PM

45 posts, read 53,638 times

Advertisements

So I'm a 30 year old man who has been working as a Business Analyst these past two years in the Dallas area and I have a masters degree. It took a lot of work to get this job after a long bout of unemployment and while I am happy I finally have income, I genuinely dislike what I do. I'm not satisfied working in a BA role and there are long periods of down time where I have nothing to do except sit at my desk and pretend to be productive.

I'm considering shifting careers to a blue collar/skilled trade but I'm afraid to take that plunge and not sure if I should. I am interested in the possibility of becoming an electrician and I've researched a bit about it apprenticeships. I realize it's a long process to become a certified journeyman electrician but I am willing to endure the lower starting pay.

To be honest, I never had the mental aptitude for hard technology and science and wish I had known about alternative career paths when I was younger.

Should I consider this career change? How feasible is it for someone like me to enter into an apprenticeship? How would potential employers or unions look upon my background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,766,115 times
Welcome to the dark side.

Yes, you should consider changing careers and because you are still young I would do so posthaste.

I myself did an industry shift, and in the future I will be considering a complete career change. Find what makes you happy and do that. I had a job like you, sat around literally had nothing to do. It didn't take me long to get out of that one.

Last edited by MJ7; 06-18-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
Considering is not much of an investment
Putting yourself on the line in an apprenticeship is

Old 06-18-2014, 01:34 PM

205 posts, read 245,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
So I'm a 30 year old man who has been working as a Business Analyst these past two years in the Dallas area and I have a masters degree. It took a lot of work to get this job after a long bout of unemployment and while I am happy I finally have income, I genuinely dislike what I do. I'm not satisfied working in a BA role and there are long periods of down time where I have nothing to do except sit at my desk and pretend to be productive.

I'm considering shifting careers to a blue collar/skilled trade but I'm afraid to take that plunge and not sure if I should. I am interested in the possibility of becoming an electrician and I've researched a bit about it apprenticeships. I realize it's a long process to become a certified journeyman electrician but I am willing to endure the lower starting pay.

To be honest, I never had the mental aptitude for hard technology and science and wish I had known about alternative career paths when I was younger.

Should I consider this career change? How feasible is it for someone like me to enter into an apprenticeship? How would potential employers or unions look upon my background?
I hear you, I have a masters too in public administration and I can't find anything either. I am at the point where I am applying at fast food places just to have a job.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Considering is not much of an investment
Putting yourself on the line in an apprenticeship is
Well the reason I say "considering" is because I'm trying to measure up the possibilities before I commit. I honestly have very little exposure to the skilled trades and their career paths and how to go about with a career change. Never talked about it with career counselors and I don't know anyone who works in the skilled trades.

What I can say is I like working with my hands more than sitting in front of a computer typing.

I've built a few pieces of furniture in my spare time, rebuilt a fence, reinstalled new pool equipment. The jobs I have enjoyed in the past were the ones where I was always physically doing something.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
Well the reason I say "considering" is because I'm trying to measure up the possibilities before I commit. I honestly have very little exposure to the skilled trades and their career paths and how to go about with a career change. Never talked about it with career counselors and I don't know anyone who works in the skilled trades.

What I can say is I like working with my hands more than sitting in front of a computer typing.

I've built a few pieces of furniture in my spare time, rebuilt a fence, reinstalled new pool equipment. The jobs I have enjoyed in the past were the ones where I was always physically doing something.
You don't just jump into being an electrician.You start out as a helper, they don't require experience. But, you have to be able to qualify for their standards. Here's a posting on indeed, see if you can hack it:

https://faithtechnologies.silkroad.c...obBoardId=1112

Old 06-18-2014, 02:09 PM

I've seen a few of those helper positions advertised on Dallas craigslist and indeed but they ask for apprenticeship cards or state licenses and some exp. Are there other resources I should be using?

My plan was to visit the nearest electrical training center and apply to their apprenticeship program.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:28 PM
MJ7

For Texas yes, get the apprenticeship certificate. I believe some programs pay you to do it as well and line you up with a job fresh out.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the input MJ7. Going to do this first thing monday morning.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I hear you, I have a masters too in public administration and I can't find anything either. I am at the point where I am applying at fast food places just to have a job.
It's mentally and emotionally draining to see all that academic work come to nothing, isn't it? When I first started working in my current role I was very nervous and felt I would be out of my league but I quickly got over that when I actually started to do the work.

All I do talk to clients, gather software requirements, if they haven't provided them already and document it for the software team. Sometimes I help with very simple testing procedures. I would say any college graduate can do my job with a couple weeks of training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment