Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 AM

45 posts, read 53,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Well I don't want to be too negative. But I just don't think the trades are necessarily a panacea for white collar career ennui.
Negative is fine. I created this thread to get both pro and con opinions from others and I admit, maybe I have a picture of the skilled trades that is too idealistic. Would you mind telling a bit more about your cousins? How long have they been in their respective trades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,932,603 times
As with all trades it's very physical work. Will you still be able to do it at 50/60 years old?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,748,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
As with all trades it's very physical work. Will you still be able to do it at 50/60 years old?
At that age most people become shop seniors and their roles have way less physical strain.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
At that age most people become shop seniors and their roles have way less physical strain.
What are you talking about? Electricians and plumbers don't have a "shop".

Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What are you talking about? Electricians and plumbers don't have a "shop".
Seniors in their own right, they just hire helpers to do the dirty work.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
If they're working for someone else, and the majority of them are, they cannot just hire helpers to do the dirty work.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
So I'm a 30 year old man who has been working as a Business Analyst these past two years in the Dallas area and I have a masters degree. It took a lot of work to get this job after a long bout of unemployment and while I am happy I finally have income, I genuinely dislike what I do. I'm not satisfied working in a BA role and there are long periods of down time where I have nothing to do except sit at my desk and pretend to be productive.

I'm considering shifting careers to a blue collar/skilled trade but I'm afraid to take that plunge and not sure if I should. I am interested in the possibility of becoming an electrician and I've researched a bit about it apprenticeships. I realize it's a long process to become a certified journeyman electrician but I am willing to endure the lower starting pay.

To be honest, I never had the mental aptitude for hard technology and science and wish I had known about alternative career paths when I was younger.

Should I consider this career change? How feasible is it for someone like me to enter into an apprenticeship? How would potential employers or unions look upon my background?
Check out these sites to become a professional journeyman electrician:

International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers - Int'l Office

IBEW
1408 N Washington Ave, Dallas, TX ‎(214) 821-4700

IBEW
4040 McEwen Rd, Dallas, TX ‎ (972) 980-1123

Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,384,598 times
Would you guys quit talking about me?!!!
I didn't get into construction until I was "north of fifity".
Where's my walker?

All told, don't do anything without a "ticket".
You'll always be in demand.

And plan on being the boss by the time you're forty, or
whenever the knees give out, which may be sooner.

That'll cost you five cents.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:05 PM

45 posts, read 53,587 times
So I had a long and fairly casual phone conversation with a IBEW rep about the prospects of an apprenticeships and the skilled trades in general. We even talked about Mike Rowe's push for the skilled trades.

He seemed like a nice fellow but flat out recommend against a career change. He Told me lots of electricians are out of work and the apprenticeship program is a long drawn out commitment with low pay, and felt that given the time I've invested in my education and finally getting a BA job, it would be a very bad trade off.

Very discouraging.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
So I had a long and fairly casual phone conversation with a IBEW rep about the prospects of an apprenticeships and the skilled trades in general. We even talked about Mike Rowe's push for the skilled trades.

He seemed like a nice fellow but flat out recommend against a career change. He Told me lots of electricians are out of work and the apprenticeship program is a long drawn out commitment with low pay, and felt that given the time I've invested in my education and finally getting a BA job, it would be a very bad trade off.

Very discouraging.
At least he was being honest and not coaxing you into something you would have regret for later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment