Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 AM

277 posts, read 688,046 times

Advertisements

So yesterday, I had a car accident on the way to work - 100% the other driver's fault. I was rear ended while at a complete stop - a young kid drove right into the back of my car while on his cell phone. His insurance company has already accepted liability, in fact. Thank god, he was honest with the police and his insurance.

Here's the situation . . I am in my probationary period at work and had already been written up for being late a few times over the last 6 months. The probationary period at my current employer is 9 months, by the way. I was told the next time I was late or out sick, I would lose my job. Keep in mind, I have been absent twice in 6 months and late about 3 times - mostly due to snow storms or wrecks on my way to work. (I live in the mountains of western NC, one time the only road available to take to work was closed.) I am not trying to make excuses - just being honest here. I have not been out sick since being written up and I have arrived at work early EVERY DAY since. At least 10-15 mins early.

Of course, yesterday I was late because (obviously) I was on my way to work when the guy hit me and we had to wait for the police to show up and take a report, etc. I did notify my supervisor immediately while still at the scene of the accident and I waited until my lunch hour to go get checked out at urgent care - the urgent care doc wrote me out of work for the afternoon due to my neck pain. I did not ask him to but he said I really needed to go home, take a muscle relaxant and put ice on my neck and shoulders. I brought the note to my supervisor and she said nothing other than "will you be back tomorrow" - and I am back today.

Long story short, my supervisor is giving me grief over this latest incident and I just don't know what to do. Is this even appropriate since the accident was just that, an accident and again, not my fault. Do I risk losing my job over a car accident for which I have proof that I wasn't at fault and a dr's note putting me out for the afternoon?

I am already looking for other jobs and/or a better environment in which to work.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
This was clearly out of your control, but the problem is you have a history.

Quote:
I am in my probationary period at work and had already been written up for being late a few times over the last 6 months. The probationary period at my current employer is 9 months, by the way. I was told the next time I was late or out sick, I would lose my job. Keep in mind, I have been absent twice in 6 months and late about 3 times - mostly due to snow storms or wrecks on my way to work. (I live in the mountains of western NC, one time the only road available to take to work was closed.) I am not trying to make excuses - just being honest here. I have not been out sick since being written up and I have arrived at work early EVERY DAY since. At least 10-15 mins early.
Being absent twice in six months and late about 3 times is excessive - particularly for someone new to the job and still on probation.

Your comment that these incidents were "mostly due to snow storms or wrecks on my way to work" sounds very "dog ate my homework". Wrecks?? How many wrecks have you had??

Knowing it takes longer to commute during snow storms it is your responsibility to get up earlier and leave earlier so you have a better chance of arriving on time. That's the expectation.

I don't blame your supervisor for being unhappy. If I were you I would step up trying to find another job, but also seriously think about what you need to change in order to keep it.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This was clearly out of your control, but the problem is you have a history.

Being absent twice in six months and late about 3 times is excessive - particularly for someone new to the job and still on probation.

Your comment that these incidents were "mostly due to snow storms or wrecks on my way to work" sounds very "dog ate my homework". Wrecks?? How many wrecks have you had??

Knowing it takes longer to commute during snow storms it is your responsibility to get up earlier and leave earlier so you have a better chance of arriving on time. That's the expectation.

I don't blame your supervisor for being unhappy. If I were you I would step up trying to find another job, but also seriously think about what you need to change in order to keep it.
No, not my wrecks - other people's car wrecks. Again, I am not trying to make excuses but hasn't any one ever been caught unaware, backed up in traffic due to a wreck up ahead? And I do leave early . . in fact, ridiculously early EVERY DAY - I do not make a habit of being late. I live 20 miles from work and leave at least 1 hour before I am due to be here.

And what am I to do when the road is closed by Highway Patrol due to weather/ice/snow? There is literally no other way to work and even people that live in the same town as the company is located, could not make it either. And they were NOT written up.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Out twice sick and late about 3 times? Does that mean 4, 5 or 6 times actually?

Your supervisor is probably tired of the accumulation of late/sick days and the fact that the last one was caused by an accident doesn't really factor into her frustration. If this had been your first issue in 6 months it would have been likely for her to ask if you needed to go home for the day.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post

Here's the situation . . I am in my probationary period at work and had already been written up for being late a few times over the last 6 months. The probationary period at my current employer is 9 months, by the way. I was told the next time I was late or out sick, I would lose my job. Keep in mind, I have been absent twice in 6 months and late about 3 times - mostly due to snow storms or wrecks on my way to work. (I live in the mountains of western NC, one time the only road available to take to work was closed.) I am not trying to make excuses - just being honest here.

I am already looking for other jobs and/or a better environment in which to work.
You're on probation and you've been late more than once. I don't care where you live, you're supposed to be an adult and prepare ahead of time for weather.

If you don't care enough about your job to make it in on time every single day, then please just quit and let someone else have that job.

If you want a "better environment" you might look into pizza delivery. You can stay in your car all day and they don't care how long it takes you to deliver the pizza.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
No, not my wrecks - other people's car wrecks. Again, I am not trying to make excuses but hasn't any one ever been caught unaware, backed up in traffic due to a wreck up ahead? And I do leave early . . in fact, ridiculously early EVERY DAY - I do not make a habit of being late. I live 20 miles from work and leave at least 1 hour before I am due to be here.

And what am I to do when the road is closed by Highway Patrol due to weather/ice/snow? There is literally no other way to work and even people that live in the same town as the company is located, could not make it either. And they were NOT written up.

Stop making excuses. I live 35 miles from work and deal with some of the worst traffic in Houston and somehow manage to get to work on time nearly everyday for 15 years( I may have had 3 late days over that entire time) traffic and weather are part of being an adult and planning appropriately to meet your responsibilities

Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
While as a manager I tend to be more understanding and lenient. For the rare snowstorm, I allow people to come in later, use PTO, or even work from home. Usually, though, the standard corporate position on this is that you should leave home early enough to allow for any additional time that could be taken by a flat tire, traffic jam, running out of gas, or accident. Especially when you have been warned of release at the next tardiness, and are on probation. Your boss probably expects that your punctuality will fall off even more after passing probation. Your usual "10-15 minutes early" is apparently not enough. Allow 1/2 hour, and when you arrive, relax and have a coffee at a nearby shop or in the office break room. Hopefully you can squeeze by this time but I would make sure it doesn't happen again.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You're on probation and you've been late more than once. I don't care where you live, you're supposed to be an adult and prepare ahead of time for weather.

If you don't care enough about your job to make it in on time every single day, then please just quit and let someone else have that job.

If you want a "better environment" you might look into pizza delivery. You can stay in your car all day and they don't care how long it takes you to deliver the pizza.
I don't appreciate the tone of your response. I am a professional person and I do strive to be here on time every day. That's why I said I leave an hour early for my 20 mile commute. I generally get here about 15 mins early.

So again, what should I have done when the road to work was closed/barricaded by Highway Patrol?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
I am not trying to make excuses
I have had employees that sound like you. I've found the "oh the snowstorm" and "oh the wrecks" and "oh I left early" are often the ones that become the "oh i forgot that project" and "oh i lost that contract" and "oh i forgot to call that client back" types.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
If it snows THAT BAD to where roads are closed, then other employees would have been out also. If you got written up for those times, either everyone else made it in and you didn't or they are looking for a reason to get rid of you.

I can honestly say that in 20 years of working for others, I missed 2 days from illness and was NEVER late. And in my experience as an employer, I can predict which employees will make it in no matter what and which ones will have ANOTHER car wreck, a "dead" grandmother, a school emergency, etc.

Don't ask us whether you should risk losing your job. ASK YOURSELF how important employment is to you. If there is only 1 road to this job, perhaps you should find one that you can have a better chance to get to. Or move closer to this one.

Otherwise, go to your supervisor with your excuse notes, look her in the eye, tell her it won't happen again, and follow through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.