Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:23 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So, how do you propose we "punish" her?
735 lashes with a wet noodle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Do you mind citing where you read that the FLSA was intended for employees to earn enough to support a family on without government assistance?
If you have a problem with a post, you provide counter-evidence. You are free to research FLSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
735 lashes with a wet noodle
Serious answer to a serious question. You are the one condemning her decisions. Get over it or propose how society should "punish" her.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If you have a problem with a post, you provide counter-evidence. You are free to research FLSA.

Serious answer to a serious question. You are the one condemning her decisions. Get over it or propose how society should "punish" her.
Why are you suggesting I think society should punish her? I just don't want to hear her complain about things that she could have changed had she made better decisions in life.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Living with the consequences of a series of poor decisions while doing nothing to change your circumstances is not a punishment.

Nor does it really entitle you to demand that society make it entirely feasible for you to live comfortably despite how many times you CHOOSE to make stupid decisions.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Why are you suggesting I think society should punish her? I just don't want to hear her complain about things that she could have changed had she made better decisions in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Living with the consequences of a series of poor decisions while doing nothing to change your circumstances is not a punishment.

Nor does it really entitle you to demand that society make it entirely feasible for you to live comfortably despite how many times you CHOOSE to make stupid decisions.
So we disagree on comfort vs. basic necessities.

She has four children. Her four children WILL get fed, and will have a roof over their heads. Society demands this.

On what planet is $7.35 for a family of five considered "comfortable" ?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM

758 posts, read 1,641,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I totally agree with this. People want it both ways. They want women to have children but when they do, they get disparaging remarks about how they should have used the birth control that is often hard for the poor to get.
I have NEVER rallied for women to have children.

Quote:

People can carry on all they want to about government subsidies like food supplements or minimum wage guarantees for these workers but it's NOTHING compared to the tax breaks being given to the corporations with record-breaking profits who take advantage of these workers and whose executives are paid more than 1,000 times what the average associate makes.
True, but if the food workers get the raise to $15/hr, it will be paid for by an increase in food prices, NOT by a decrease in the salaries of the CEOs or a decrease in tax breaks. It will be paid for by the people who might currently make $12/hr, after getting education or job training in order to get that salary.

I'm starting to think that the best way to help these fast food workers is to completely boycott fast food. If there aren't the profits to be had, the greedy and morally corrupt will get out of the business. Maybe then the system can be reset with employers who don't take advantage of their workers. Of course, that will years for everything to reset...

Quote:

When Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated in Tennessee, he was there in support of the sanitation workers of Memphis who were on strike asking for a minimum wage of $2 an hour. In today's dollars, that would be nearly $15 an hour, far more than most fast food workers make today. Sad to say, he didn't achieve his dream.
...and yet exactly what they are asking for. At least the sanitation workers were probably of higher skill and doing jobs that most others wouldn't want to.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
In all due respect $2 in 1968 is not worth $15 today. It would be $13.70
CPI Inflation Calculator ...
SOLD!! I'm sure all the fast food employees in the world would be HAPPY to take that considering the current Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and the highest state minimum wage in the nation is $9.32 (Washington, just begun in January of this year). So, yes. $13.70 would be fine and dandy. Have you written to your Congressman yet to support that?

When I worked as a FULL-TIME employee of the Robinson May Company just a short time ago, I was only making $11 an hour. Also less than minimum wage workers were making in the 1960s. In the last 30 years of my life-long career of paying income tax since I was 18 (and I worked under the table the five years before that ... yes, I worked when I was 13), all three of my employers DISAPPEARED. In two cases because it was more lucrative for the stockholders and in one case ordered by the bankruptcy court. In each one of those jobs, I earned LESS money than the job before that and less money than my blue-collar father made his entire life.

Now that I'm over 60, I can't get ANY full-time career-type job. But, hey, I guess that's my fault. My magna *** laude college degree just doesn't cut it. The fact that I moved out of the rust belt and across the country for better job opportunities wasn't showing enough effort. I just don't TRY hard enough or do what society tells me I should do to be a respected worker in America.

And please note that I'm one of the women who didn't have ANY children because I didn't think I could afford it and my boyfriends were never reliable enough for me to trust them to be good fathers. I thought I'd mention that because when I'm old and infirm and ask for a raise in my Social Security, I have a funny feeling you're going to be telling me I should have kids to take care of me. As Rep. Ellison says, I played by the rules. And look what I got. A bunch of people on C-D who will say I'm a whiner who doesn't deserve what my high-school educated parents got in the 1950s.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
True, but if the food workers get the raise to $15/hr, it will be paid for by an increase in food prices, NOT by a decrease in the salaries of the CEOs or a decrease in tax breaks. It will be paid for by the people who might currently make $12/hr, after getting education or job training in order to get that salary.

I'm starting to think that the best way to help these fast food workers is to completely boycott fast food. If there aren't the profits to be had, the greedy and morally corrupt will get out of the business. Maybe then the system can be reset with employers who don't take advantage of their workers. Of course, that will years for everything to reset...

...and yet exactly what they are asking for. At least the sanitation workers were probably of higher skill and doing jobs that most others wouldn't want to.
Fast food workers have tried striking already. Labor is expendable. Whether the ideologues admit it or not... employer and employee do not have equal power. There is always more people unemployed that need to find a job. With automation coming, we will have to boycott many companies or have a lot of people on welfare.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
The fact that I moved out of the rust belt and across the country for better job opportunities wasn't showing enough effort.

. A bunch of people on C-D who will say I'm a whiner who doesn't deserve what my high-school educated parents got in the 1950s.
My dad left the country. Four times. To work. And send money home to his family.
And didn't make a public announcement about it. That's what that boomer did.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,246,832 times
The protesting fast-food workers might want to be careful what they wish for. It is possible that should they actually succeed, that $15/hr wage will necessitate raising prices to the point where people won't buy the products of their overpriced labor and they will be out of jobs. Or they could find themselves replaced by kiosks and robots that get customers' orders right and are not prone to spitting in the food or posting pictures of themselves engaged in unhygienic activities or some profoundly stupid stunt in their workplaces. On the bright side, they could apply for jobs making kiosks and robots, but those jobs would probably require some sort of actual skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment