Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 PM

35,224 posts, read 31,555,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Living with the consequences of a series of poor decisions while doing nothing to change your circumstances is not a punishment.

Nor does it really entitle you to demand that society make it entirely feasible for you to live comfortably despite how many times you CHOOSE to make stupid decisions.
Precisely. This was a largely preventable situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 03:08 PM

418 posts, read 561,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
So what?

Who are you, the paternity police? It's not your business who anyone else has kids with. Sheesh!

It's WAY more entitled to think you get to pass judgement on someone else's personal choices than it is to want to be paid a living wage for one's labor.

Wow what a thread.... well.....

1. If the kids were with 1 dad, 4 dads or aliens what does it matter to anyone else?

Then, see I'm a Brit.... my upbringing would make me think she'd be ok on benefits and the job was just icing on the cake. And wow, it's actually good she even bothered to work for 10 years!

Now of course the USA doesn't have such a system. Maybe those who are already damning this women should remember in many countries she'd be on benefits!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,412,942 times
When I worked in fast food I tried my best to do a good job, and within about 9 months was offered a 'crew leader' job. I was not technically mgmt., but was in charge of my shift, including counting the tills and making up the bank deposits, training new people, supervising the crew, etc.

When I did a good job w/ that my boss tried to get me to go to training and move into mgmt., but I declined because I did not like the company and was planning to move on to another job. I was not even especially gifted for the job. I wasn't as quick as most people, and was not a natural leader nor people person. I had just one thing going for me--work ethic. That was enough.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,041,598 times
You don't know what her situation was before she started working there.

:[/quote]

What situation before she worked there? She kept reproducing while working for minimum wage instead of maybe trying to better her situation after the first one. It's called trying at life.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:37 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,301,616 times
A decade later and you make a dime over the minimum wage?

That is the definition of exploitation of labor. No other " coulda/shoulda went to school, ect ect " rants will not excuse a hundred thousandaire much less a billion dollar company from doing this to people.

Last edited by Ih2puo; 07-31-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,042,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
A decade later and you make a dime over the minimum wage?

That is the definition of exploitation of labor. No other " coulda/shoulda went to school, ect ect " rants will not excuse a hundred thousandaire much less a billion dollar company from doing this to people.
Phht hardy. Its called reaping what you sow. She didn't sow, and now shes weeping.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,775,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If you have a problem with a post, you provide counter-evidence. You are free to research FLSA.
I'm not sure why you're being so feisty. I actually agree with the gist of what you're saying.

But again, I didn't know the FLSA was intended for employees to earn enough to support a family on without government assistance. I ust wanted to now where you read or heard that...

Old 07-31-2014, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 7,950 times
This article and posts reflects what is WRONG today. It is not how much you make, but how much you SPEND also. (Let's be honest and admit they did not teach us about budgeting and / or PERSONAL financing and investing in school.

I do agree that NIKES and IPHONE are not a necessity.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Well, some people are just ignorant... not "morons." Maybe society should educate them on the values of education, and sex education.

Cool, let's put more people on the unemployment lines. Just more welfare for me to pick up the tab for.

Bingo. They are. The longer we block minimum wage hikes, the more people we have to subsidize.

McDonald's isn't paying her anything reasonable, so ***I*** have to subsidize her rent, food stamps, utilities, day care, everything.

I'm sick of welfare for corporations.

Let's see you try to financially support four kids while going to school. People make mistakes. Should she be relegated to a life of taxpayer assistance or should we strip those services from her and let her children starve?

Reread the history of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Any job with full-time hours (which most fast food doesn't do, so I understand THAT point) should be enough to support a family on without government assistance.

Get over it. She has four kids. Either we will pay for their welfare or let them starve. If we reduce poverty, we reduce birth rates. Well off families have less children than poor families due to better education, health, and financial security.

So, how do you propose we "punish" her?

Wrong, one kid is a mistake. Four kids without being married and without being able to support them is scamming the system.

No"mistake", four kids out of wedlock is an on purpose. The more kids you have the more welfare/food stamps you get.

Well off families have less children because they want to remain well off.

It is Economics 101.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,234,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montel111 View Post
This article and posts reflects what is WRONG today. It is not how much you make, but how much you SPEND also. (Let's be honest and admit they did not teach us about budgeting and / or PERSONAL financing and investing in school.

I do agree that NIKES and IPHONE are not a necessity.
My parents taught me necessities like finance, operating a vehicle, cooking, operating a gun, etc. These things are not academic and thus, are not taught in academic settings such as school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment