Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times

Advertisements

I started a new job a few weeks ago and the company has around 10 more hires planned for the year, including 3 in my department. My boss came back to her desk after an interview and debriefed us. She said "I think the candidate would be excellent at the job, but they bored me to tears."

Another person chimed in about how important cultural fit was, especially in our company. There are a range of personalities here, but the key thing is everyone has a distinct personality. No wallflowers. Even the introverted engineers (to stereotype). Everyone is passionate about something. And apparently this candidate was passionate about nothing.

So tell me, have you heard or received this as feedback in a job or interview? "You are too boring."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
This is the kind of reasoning that a candidate would never guess about why they were turned down, and it isn't even illegal or immoral.

I hope it's the kind of position where there are lots of good candidates to choose from. This doesn't strike me as a very good reason to ding a perfectly good candidate.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:12 PM

310 posts, read 686,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This doesn't strike me as a very good reason to ding a perfectly good candidate.
How so? If the supervisor isn't enthusiastic about an applicant then it doesn't matter what the reason is, the applicant shouldn't be hired. Supervisor and direct report often have to spend more time together than a person spends with his/her spouse (8+ hours at work on a weekday, less than 8 hours with spouse if you don't count being asleep) You wouldn't marry someone whom you consider boring, so why hire someone like that when there is bound to be friction because of it.

Especially when considering that there are tons of qualified applicants for every single job out there.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,051,853 times
I think in any work environment, it's important for personalities to mesh. One oddball hire can throw a wrench into a well-oiled machine.

A few years back I worked the front desk at a doctor's office and all the girls I worked with were fun, outgoing and upbeat. A new hire came in that was a serious, boring Debbie Downer and it threw off the entire vibe of the office.

So even though dismissing a candidate for being too boring may seem petty on the surface, if the supervisor didn't get a good vibe, there was probably a good reason for it.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
I can just see it now.....an office full of women who converse in many ways about each others Sex life and their home problems (husband/kids etc)......nothing boring about that office.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,139,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
How so? If the supervisor isn't enthusiastic about an applicant then it doesn't matter what the reason is, the applicant shouldn't be hired. Supervisor and direct report often have to spend more time together than a person spends with his/her spouse (8+ hours at work on a weekday, less than 8 hours with spouse if you don't count being asleep) You wouldn't marry someone whom you consider boring, so why hire someone like that when there is bound to be friction because of it.

Especially when considering that there are tons of qualified applicants for every single job out there.
If I were the manager and applied that criteria to my coworkers, I doubt I would have hired most of them. And I would have missed out on some good workers.

I'm a strong introvert, so I don't consider it an important component of work to make friends and socialize. I admit that it's nice to have people that are fun to be around in the workplace, but in a technically-oriented workplace like mine, it would be a bad idea to value personality over competence. We'd never get any work done!

Maybe it makes sense for certain kinds of workplaces to value personality over competence, but I just have trouble imagining places like that being very productive.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:50 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,849,941 times
What the hell kind of difference does it make if the candidate is boring? Can he do the job? I don't go to work to be entertained. As far as being passionate about the job, most people work to put food on the table. If someone talks about how much he loves his job, chances are he's blowing sunshine up your ass. Again, can the candidate do the job?

This cultural fit crap pisses me off.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
If this is a job where the person would be working closely with others it might be a small part of the factors used to determine the best candidate, but it's very unprofessional of that boss to make such a comment to the other employees. For one thing, that person could end up being hired. For another one of the current employees may know the person. When my people ask how the interviews went I will say something like "Great!", or "OK" or maybe "not too good so far" but nothing specific about any of the candidates.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I can just see it now.....an office full of women who converse in many ways about each others Sex life and their home problems (husband/kids etc)......nothing boring about that office.
Not many women at my company. And that department (sub department) is made up of men. The other people range from sports fans to people who like to cook. One is pretty quiet and introverted. He came from a background of technical support. It is also about 2/3 engineers. People aren't getting rejected for being introverts.

Introvert =/= boring. Half of my friends are introverts. They are still passionate about stuff and like to have conversations in comfortable environments. They just recharge via quiet time. They feel drained after lots of people time. Unlike extroverts who feel excited and energized by people time.

Personally I feel stressed out when I don't fit in personality wise at work. It is fine if you are a cog in the wheel of thousands of people. But not so much in a small collaborative department.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If this is a job where the person would be working closely with others it might be a small part of the factors used to determine the best candidate, but it's very unprofessional of that boss to make such a comment to the other employees. For one thing, that person could end up being hired. For another one of the current employees may know the person. When my people ask how the interviews went I will say something like "Great!", or "OK" or maybe "not too good so far" but nothing specific about any of the candidates.
My direct department didn't meet this candidate. And we won't be working closely with them. So honestly I have no idea which of the dozen it was. No names or identifying characteristics were shared with us. Also, it is a casual enough office where if someone's friend was interviewed everyone would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment