Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:27 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Living on the bare minimum - LA Times

Quote:
There's little room for surprises in James Collins' monthly scramble to manage rent, bills, debts and gas.

The $250 repair bill for his fiancee's engagement ring didn't fit the budget. So he asked the jeweler if he could add the repair cost to his one-year installment plan for the ring. No problem, an employee told him last month.

But when he returned a week later, a manager vetoed that decision — and kept the ring as collateral on the bill.

"I still have this bill, I don't have the ring, and I don't know when I'm going to get the $250 to get it back," Collins said.

Right now, minimum wage is not a steppingstone. It's a place where people are stuck for long periods of time.
- Michael Reich, an economics professor at UC Berkeley

Such are the daily trade-offs in one of the nation's most expensive cities with one of the largest shares of working poor. Collins, 42 and a father of two, makes $9.95 an hour, just above the state minimum, as an activities coordinator at a nursing facility in Watts. On the day he needed $250 to repair the ring, he had less than $30 in his checking account.

More than a third of private-sector workers in Los Angeles make less than $13.25 an hour — the new minimum wage proposed by Mayor Eric Garcetti last month. City Council members supporting the bill would like to further boost the floor to $15.25 an hour by 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:31 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
It's a tough life for sure, but whatever happened to waiting until you could afford a family before starting one? I don't understand this mentality when you're already broke.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:53 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Get a second job.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:29 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by La'Quesha View Post
There's little room for surprises in my monthly scramble to manage rent, bills, debts and gas.

The $25,000 repair bill for my Ferrari didn't fit the budget. When are companies going to start paying me a Ferrari owner's living wage?
As soon as you start feeling entitled to it, and after you walk around in a circle at McDonalds with a white sign.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 AM

271 posts, read 427,046 times
i don't think it's the employees' fault and it's unfair to blame them. $9 an hour is RIDICULOUS. when will workers get paid a reasonable, living wage? this guy is an activities coordinator at a nursing facility. for that they consider $9/hr sufficient? please don't blame him for having a family or trying to pay his bills. the real problem is in this day and age people are still getting paid $9 an hour in america.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
i don't think it's the employees' fault and it's unfair to blame them. $9 an hour is RIDICULOUS. when will workers get paid a reasonable, living wage? this guy is an activities coordinator at a nursing facility. for that they consider $9/hr sufficient? please don't blame him for having a family or trying to pay his bills. the real problem is in this day and age people are still getting paid $9 an hour in america.
No one is blaming anyone, we are saying if you want to earn more money you need to work harder.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 AM

235 posts, read 299,059 times
To be fair, he may have had his kids when he was younger and had a more stable job, then got laid off and had to take a crap job to scrape by.

However I'm giving a serious side-eye on buying an engagement ring when you can barely afford the basic necessities.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
It's amazing to me how some people work so hard for so little money and others don't have to work at all or have relatively easy jobs and have all the luxuries of wealth in their life.

Unfortunately, you are paid for what you do typically, not how long you have done it. Salaries don't really increase unless you move into management positions. You are actually LUCKY if you are getting raises to match inflation.

I do think full time minimum wage should reflect more of a living wage. Definitely. However, with kids, it doesn't matter if you raise it to $15/hr, it still won't be enough. Can't have kids if you make minimum wage. Sorry.

Last edited by jobaba; 10-12-2014 at 03:22 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
I know dudes who make low wages and get by, but they live extremely minimalistic lifestyles that most amercians simply wouldn't go for. No GF's, no kids, 2(some 3)jobs round the clock, no smartphone, no living in a big sexy city, having to room with someone else, no car, no social life whatsover.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:34 AM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
Very true! It is extremely hard to find a job that supports a person and/or family. People believe since they figured out the maze that employment is now, anyone can do it. Holding others up to your own situation or example is not fair. Not everyone has the opportunity (whatever the reason), or wherewithal to do it.

It is disheartening the attitude(s) that a person must face by others who know nothing (or little) of their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment