Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:08 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,164 times

Advertisements

Agree. I truly dont understand people's need to pop out several kids in your 20s...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 AM

235 posts, read 299,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post

I agree telling someone to go to college is not the answer, telling someone to go learn a real trade with real world demand is much better. Throughout much of the country there is a demand for mechanics, truck drivers, plumbers, electricians, construction workers, HVAC, and plenty of other trades. Usually you can learn how to do it with a semester or two at a decent community college. In your 40s there is no reason to work yourself to death for a minimum or near minimum wage job when you have had 24 years since high school to find someway to make enough to at least earn enough of a living to pay your bills.
I have a friend who's a welder that makes over a 100k a year. There's definitely good money to be made in the trades.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:23 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
In the span of two posts, your attitude has changed 100%.

You need a decent income, with health insurance, but this "requirement" that one needs 50K in the bank to start with is absolutely ludicrous.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

My stance has not changed at all.

Having children is very expensive. Common sense tells me a reasonable amount of money in the bank is a must, unless working at a position / trade where it is near impossible to be laid off. Having 50K in the bank seems very reasonable to me when it comes to raising children.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

But. but, some people say minimum wae IS a steppingstone. Who's right?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
No one is blaming anyone, we are saying if you want to earn more money you need to work harder.

That is SO 1970s, doesn't work today in the minimum wage world.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A man who makes minimum wage needs to NOT buy an engagement ring for his fiancee. My parents were married for over 50 years and all my mother ever had was a plain gold band.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM

235 posts, read 299,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
A man who makes minimum wage needs to NOT buy an engagement ring for his fiancee. My parents were married for over 50 years and all my mother ever had was a plain gold band.

20yrsinBranson
Mine did too, even though my father eventually became quite successful and could have easily afforded one. I even asked my mother why she didn't get a nicer wedding set and her response was "what's the point?"

Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Do you realize that 100K a year is almost double the median household income in the United States? So are you saying that only upper middle class people and above should be able to have children? There are millions of kids being raised in households where the parents only make $40-50K a year, and they turn out just fine.
Reality is these are the times we are living in. I only see it getting worse due to the continued division between the haves and the have-nots.
When you say "turned out fine" you failed to consider that growing up in the past was a much different time era.

I did mention a little less if not living in a very expensive city or large metropolitan area where cost of living is much higher. I also said "about" so that leaves a little room. All this is just my opinion on a public message board. I was brought up in a household where there was constant fights both physically and verbally about money issues. I just do not want to see anyone else go through what I did. No guarantee, obviously, but living on the comfortable side of things is a heck of a lot better than growing up poor.

I see 40K total income for a family of four close to living in poverty, assuming they are not living in rent/mortgage-free housing. I strongly suggest anyone to reconsider having children if this is going to be the case.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM
TZ7

45 posts, read 69,282 times
I can't get any more than $9/hour and have an Associate's degree in Business Administration. $9/hour is better than being let go and told you're not the right fit for the job. I worked hard in college. If I get $13/hour, I'm told I'm not the right fit after 30-90 days. So I might end up worse off than someone with just a high school education, right? At least some get to keep their jobs after they got hired on.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the minimum wage should be called "starting wage"

its not meant to be a living wage with a litter of kids

you start a job at minimum wage, then based on merit/performance you work your way up- get more pay

and don't make dumb/poor decisions and blame everyone else for it
also dont smoke/drink/do drugs/ then complain you don't have money to feed your kids

most everyone/highschool kid can go to college,,,,get an education and make a decent living

my god, how many times do we see someone with 2-4 kids no father around, gets 4 different types of welfare, and still complains its never enough!!!???

yet still, even those that made the better choices in life- are constantly paying for those that made poor choices
and the ones receiving these freebees have such an atiitude againt the ones paying for it- you would think they'd be saying THANK YOU , not f- you

??? work your way up to what? Many minimum wage jobs do not have a realistic promotion path. Having to wait 25 years for your boss to retire is not a realistic promition ath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment