Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
In my area the low paying seasonal jobs would not be enough to provide shelter and feed a person living alone.
Most Americans can't afford housing without generous interest rates and housing subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
A lot of people, especially back home in Appalachia, have turned to the underground economy. That doesn't mean they are necessarily doing anything illegal - someone could be taking an off the books roofing job for example. They have no reportable income, but they are paying bills.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
No Job as adult = your homeless right?

Depends you your situation.The first time I got laid off, I was unemployed for over a year. I was still living with my parents and I had unemployment insurance for 6 months. I had no rent and free food, but I still had to pay for my car myself. I picked up a few odd jobs to put a few bucks into my pocket to pay for gas, but I had to use a cash advance on my credit card to pay for my car insurance. I had fortunately I landed a summer job right after that, then a full time job at the end of the summer. I had no health insurance the entire time I was unemployed.

I enjoyed a 22 year stretch of gainful employment before I was laid off again. I had unemployment insurance again, but the max unemployment was only $624 a week and my bills far exceed that. This time I had a wife that could support us, but I had to maintain full cobra medical coverage, that alone cost $1,100 a month. I was unemployed for 4 1/2 months before I landed a low paying job without benefits and 7 months later I got another full time job with benefits that paid what I was earning before.

So it all depends on how much it cost you to live and how much you have in savings or if your spouse/friend with benefits can support you. Generally the longer your employed, the more resources you have to draw upon when your unemployed. In my situation, I could have survived unemployment at least another two years if I cashed in my 401k to pay my share of my bills living with my wife.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
This is the impression that I get. So am I right or wrong.
NO WAY!

I know many people who have not had meaningful jobs for many years, and not only do they survive, they live well. Much better than me.

They live off their spouses.

In a few other cases, some of my friends live off their parents too. But, most of those are WITH their parents. So, those people typically don't live high off the hog. As for myself, I could go back to my parents too.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
What an odd question. There are plenty of people who don't have jobs who aren't living on the street. Just a few examples:
-Wealthy people who do not need to work
-Retired people
-Stay at home parents
-People on short term or long term disability
-People living with parents/relatives/friends
-People whose homes are paid off
-People living off Unemployment Insurance
-People living off their savings

There are also plenty of homeless people who have jobs, just not high enough incomes to afford housing.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:42 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
See, this is one of those times when commas would help.

I thought you were asking if it is someone's "homeless right" to not work.

But it appears that you should have written, "No job as adult = you're homeless, right?"
This is one of those times when spelling YOU'RE correctly would help.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 PM

431 posts, read 599,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
This is the impression that I get. So am I right or wrong.
Wrong. I'm retiring at 52 and will definitely have a home

Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 PM

260 posts, read 326,373 times
Nope, if you loose your job you can get Unemployment benefits, if you are sick you get to collect in Insurance. You could be wealthy living off dividends. You can be a home maker where the other spouse is working. I assume running your own business means having a job. If you win bug in the lottery, you would not need a job.....

hmm, I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
What about homemakers? What about "trust fund babies" and others lucky enough to, for whatever reason, have a fat enough stack of cash that they don't need to work?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:42 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I was homeless and I was working a full-time job the entire time. I was also going to community college full time as well. I am unemployed now and waiting to hear about diability, but I am not homeless at this time. So to the OP, I think you've missed something along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment