Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If I recall correctly from a previous thread (the one about the Explorer), you are 69 years old. That would make you just about the age of my dad, who recently turned 70. Thus a parallel to him would not be out of line.
I worked full-time consistently from the 1960s through 2011 and would still be employed today were it not for an accident three years ago. Five decades of working for large corporations and smaller businesses in very diverse arenas, plus two businesses of my own. So, with that experience behind me (spanning two continents) I'm compelled to disagree with your contention - based on your father working for 38 years in one profession in one state - that, "So you have to figure that things are worse these days".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
I'm tired of people saying they work hard and not to give up it will happen to you if you just believe. What is this? A Disney movie? Most of these people don't even bother to give you real advice. They just tell you everything you've heard before.

They don't want to help you figure out your personal method to success because that would mean less success for them.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm tired of people saying they work hard and not to give up it will happen to you if you just believe. What is this? A Disney movie? Most of these people don't even bother to give you real advice. They just tell you everything you've heard before.

They don't want to help you figure out your personal method to success because that would mean less success for them.
Given the countless threads on this forum where respondents have gone out of their way offering viable suggestions, that's simply rubbish. Maybe you should dig in a little more before coming up with such a daft and totally untrue piece of twaddle.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Given the countless threads on this forum where respondents have gone out of their way offering viable suggestions, that's simply rubbish. Maybe you should dig in a little more before coming up with such a daft and totally untrue piece of twaddle.
All right so some people have suggested things but like I said before it usually is one of two things: volunteer or move. Wow I wish I had thought of that but I'm just stupid you know so I can't think of obvious things like that
(that was partial sarcasm btw because I do think I lack some intelligence)

You try to tell people how that isn't a viable solution for you and they got nothing to say.
Meanwhile if you know of a way that might work but you can't figure out how to implement it there is no one to answer you.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:

That's us alright. We advise people to whistle a happy tune, look for bluebirds and rainbows, and wish upon a star, and they'll be sure to land that job soon!!!

Is there a problem with that?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:

Worked for 45+ years as a secretary? Of course she wouldn't complain! Back in those days, working conditions were better and compensation packages were higher. Plus, the mere fact that she worked for over 45 years means that she HAD A JOB for over 45 years. These days lots of people are getting laid off for no good reason, and when it comes to secretaries and office managers, we can blame technology for that. Instead of a secretary answering the telephone, now lots of places have these asinine automatic answering services where you have to press 1 for English and then listen to some mind-numbing menu (or two or three) such that you can, if you're fortunate enough, press the right magic combination of buttons to get you through to a human being. All of this, just so they don't have to pay a human secretary. That's merely one example. Because technology is rendering many of the job duties of secretaries obsolete, secretaries are now getting paid less and there are fewer of them. So, I'm glad that your mom was a good secretary, but again, that was "back in the day" and the situation is different now. Ain't many people these days who have the kind of job security and pleasant work environment that keeps them at the same company for over 45 years.
Secretaries, especially legal and medical secretaries, do a heckuva lot more than answering phones. Good, specialized secretaries worth their salt possess skillsets that technology can't easily replicate, at least in this generation. And I'd really like to see technology manage an office of human staff.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's us alright. We advise people to whistle a happy tune, look for bluebirds and rainbows, and wish upon a star, and they'll be sure to land that job soon!!!

Is there a problem with that?

Haha when you've been living much of your life in a big huge cloud, yeah there is. I wish life was like a Disney movie but it never is...at least not for me always for somebody else.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
All right so some people have suggested things but like I said before it usually is one of two things: volunteer or move.
Which once again simply demonstrates how very little you've read of this forum as that too is simply not the case.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Which once again simply demonstrates how very little you've read of this forum as that too is simply not the case.
If I could just have somebody help me figure out how to use my struggles to my advantage..how to use it as my angle so it's somehow relevant to the job then I would change my tune. Doesn't have to be here could be anywhere. I have even asked forums that would know more about my area. I don't even get an answer there. That's why my first post was referring to people in general not necessarily here.
My career counselor was the only person that has really helped me but if what we did on my resume doesn't work then what? Or what if somebody already snatches the jobs? (he still has to do the final part on my resume. hopefully this week) However I asked him about the struggle thing but he didn't really give me much of an answer there, just told me to use words like "persistent" or "can handle high stress" Well sure if you want to sound like everybody else.
I know I have the ability to do the job I apply for but when an employer looks at me they're just going to think I'm not a match because I am not the kind of person they want. Skills are never going to be enough because there's too much competition. In fact employers today care more about someone wanting to be the center of attention than skills.

Last edited by Nickchick; 12-09-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 03:38 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:

The truth is that when everything is taken into consideration, our generation has it far worse than at least the preceding two generations. And when it comes to generations that were (perhaps) further back, we have..........
On my mother's side, seven of my grandmother's siblings were killed by the Nazis at Auschwitz. On my father's side, my grandfather was killed by the Russians during WWII, so I never knew him. When I think about that, there's no way I can make the case that my generation has it so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment