Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

That is a pretty poor / useless cover letter. It says nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I thought the same thing. Perhaps it was written with the help of the recruiter, who seems to have strange ideas about applying for a job.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I thought the same thing. Perhaps it was written with the help of the recruiter, who seems to have strange ideas about applying for a job.
I actually wrote it myself. Quite frankly, I don't know what to say in it. Not that I expected anyone here on CD to say it's a well written cover letter.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How so? I talk about my strengths and background without going overboard. Besides, my resume alone is excellent.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:44 AM

The vast majority of job applications online do NOT ask for a cover letter at all. However, most job applications have a step where the applicant is able to upload "additional attachments." I guess that's where the cover letter would be uploaded? My lord this is so stupid.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I'll be a broken record for you. No one asks for a cover letter. That does not translate to a cover letter isn't needed. You can take the advice of many posters or disregard it.

Your cover letter says nothing because it's a summary of 'look at me I'm great. Hire me". A cover letter should highlight why you are good for the job you are applying.

They are looking for someone who has done fundraising. "I worked with xxxx for five years. During my tenure I helped raise $500,000 through a new campaign targeting a larger population."

Try Google for better examples.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I'll be a broken record for you. No one asks for a cover letter. That does not translate to a cover letter isn't needed. You can take the advice of many posters or disregard it.

Your cover letter says nothing because it's a summary of 'look at me I'm great. Hire me". A cover letter should highlight why you are good for the job you are applying.

They are looking for someone who has done fundraising. "I worked with xxxx for five years. During my tenure I helped raise $500,000 through a new campaign targeting a larger population."

Try Google for better examples.
It's hard to do that for a corporate tax accountant.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's hard to do that for a corporate tax accountant.
Really? You wonder why you are not getting hired.

* Go to Google.
*type 'sample cover letter for corporate tax accountant'

I just Got hundreds of results. Stop saying, no, it's too hard, you don't understand and start being proactive.

I'm out....

Old 12-24-2014, 01:52 PM

397 posts, read 602,786 times
I actually agree with the OP about cover letters. In certain professions they are not necessary and usually ignored. I always ignored them when I was hiring people and did not supply them for most positions during my recent job search. However, they are necessary if there is anything on your resume that needs to be explained.

Relocation is different, however. If your resume shows you have no connection with the new location you've got to explain that somehow. Also the OP is completely wrong about not mentioning that you do not expect compensation for relocation. Most positions do not include relocation and remote applicants will not be considered if the employer thinks the candidate expects relocation reimbursement. If you are relocating by choice and the position does not include relocation (most don't), you need to be very clear about your expectations in the cover letter.

If you don't send a cover letter explaining that you are relocating to the area, many employers will assume that you are sending out mass applications without paying attention to the location. A simple, "I am relocating to XYZ" is sufficient.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:36 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Good. We are surprised that you waited this long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment