Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Actually, permits are not required for fences anywhere in the country.
Quote:
Not true. A fence permit is required in my Texas community, there are specific design rules, and a permit fee of $50 is necessary. That was true of my last town in Illinois as well.
Again the OP and this discussion is not about in town lots. It is discussing rural fences. Town fence laws do not hold place in the rural areas of farms and ranches. This is true in Texas, and all other rural areas of the country. In the country they will be barbed wire, or electric to keep livestock in, or stray livestock off the farm. Smaller places and horse farms, will often be rail fences like much of our acreage is fenced with. The other parts are electric fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:13 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Again the OP and this discussion is not about in town lots. It is discussing rural fences. Town fence laws do not hold place in the rural areas of farms and ranches. This is true in Texas, and all other rural areas of the country. In the country they will be barbed wire, or electric to keep livestock in, or stray livestock off the farm. Smaller places and horse farms, will often be rail fences like much of our acreage is fenced with. The other parts are electric fence.
The post I responded to said "permits are not required for fences anywhere in the country." He may have meant "out in the country," but if he meant "nowhere in the United States," he was wrong.

Judging by his response t ome, he apparently really did mean "nowhere in the United States."

Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The post I responded to said "permits are not required for fences anywhere in the country." He may have meant "out in the country," but if he meant "nowhere in the United States," he was wrong.

Judging by his response t ome, he apparently really did mean "nowhere in the United States."
And, based on his other statements, he has not a clue about property laws in the United States.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:09 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
OP, get the company to schedule ahead as every other utility does. The receptionist calls in advance to ask whether the customer wants morning or afternoon on a particular day, and ask them to leave the gate unlocked.

If your company won't do that, then you could call all your customers first thing in the morning to tell them you will be there.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:45 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I think this thread has gone so off the rails the OP isn't reading anymore.

It went from, will I get shot for jumping a fence to trespassing and permit debates.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:00 AM

832 posts, read 1,418,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think this thread has gone so off the rails the OP isn't reading anymore.

It went from, will I get shot for jumping a fence to trespassing and permit debates.
Agreed. But truth be told, this is the most interesting thread I've seen in this forum.

OP: I don't know if I'd find a new job. But it seems to me that the company you work for might be taking advantage of your naivete, youth and inexperience. As others have already pointed out, it appears that jumping fences is not a regular part of accessing utility equipment. Rather access must be granted or access will be made by whatever lawful means are reasonably necessary to achieve the goal. You should probably do some research on the legal issues related to your job and the ordinary course of work by others in your field.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:43 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Just remember, these people know it would be murder regardless. You've got no more reason to be worried in Texas than you do in Ohio.

You probably have a better chance getting shot just walking down the street in Cleveland

Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,677,667 times
Lightbulb No reason not to be polite about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
OP, get the company to schedule ahead as every other utility does. The receptionist calls in advance to ask whether the customer wants morning or afternoon on a particular day, and ask them to leave the gate unlocked. If your company won't do that, then you could call all your customers first thing in the morning to tell them you will be there.
Or go old school and send a letter.

I'm in New England, and whenever the power company needs to do scheduled work on their lines on my land, they send a letter several weeks in advance, explaining what they plan to do and exactly what day they plan to do it. No surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yep, here in [mostly] rural Maine, almost everyone has guns- rifles, pistols, shotguns, even some full-auto weapons...but I've never heard of a utility worker getting shot, even with locked gates and "No Trespassing" signs posted. I have also lived in Texas, and never heard of it happening there either. Really, in the case of ordinary [law abiding] private citizens there is little to worry about, the fact that we have guns doesn't mean that we start shooting the moment we see a stranger- most will assess the situation and determine if there is actually any sort of threat. As others have pointed out, it is generally the criminal operations that you need to be concerned about, and you could run into that anywhere in any state.
New Hampshire and Maine each have more guns per person than Texas, Vermont is about on par with Texas. No US state has a rural tradition of shooting down utility workers, that's more a big city thing.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 PM

322 posts, read 243,422 times
At least you are not delivering Pizza in Birmingham, AL.

Slain pizza deliveryman's American Dream 'shattered by American greed,' daughter says | AL.com

Old 01-01-2015, 09:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It's full blown trespassing. You cannot jump a fence because the power company said so.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
When It comes down to it the power company has a right to access their equipment. If there are any power lines crossing the property, more than likely there's an easement for those lines, and thus permission. It would never hold up in court. That doesn't help save me from crazy people though haha
What power company is this? I have never heard of such, the norm is a notice goes out to customers with a date saying they need access to the property with a date on it.

Were you aware when you took this job, that this was the protocol?

When I first saw your thread it was going to some ridiculous thread thinking everyone in TX walks around shooting people, but you have a valid issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment