Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

I agree, 50 percent travel is not insignificant and should have been made clear before hand.

Employers expect us to be upfront and truthful from the start, why can't it be the same the other way around? In this day and age, no excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 AM

399 posts, read 568,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
There's only so much info they put in an ad or give you before the interview.
50% travel should have been one of those things you make SURE you put in an ad because that would be a deal breaker for a lot of people who have families. Granted, people who have grown children or no husband wouldn't see it as a problem, but as much as I love travel (and my husband's job requires travel) 50% travel would be a no and I don't care WHAT position it is.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Would help to see the job description/ad posting. "Outside Sales, Northwest Region" would imply that you have a high likelihood of becoming a road warrior. "Internal Audit" for a 20 location warehouse/shipping company might imply the same thing. "Staff Accountant" for a similar company would not.

We need more info on the job description/company before a "fairness opinion" can be rendered.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
And ironically, the ad probably stated that candidates must be detail-oriented!

I agree it's probably a mistake and wasn't intentional. It would be a waste of their time to find out how candidates felt about traveling 50% of the time after bringing them in.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I think every once in awhile that accidentally gets left off. I do not think they do it on purpose. Think of the time everyone on the employer's side is wasting looking at applications and interviewing for people that are not going to take the job.

You never know, it could lead to a different job that doesn't require so much travel!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
A company that I interviewed for told me the position required 50% travel in the interview. This was not mentioned in the job description or the phone screen. I'm wondering if this was done on purpose to get more people to apply or if they just really thought it was okay to leave that out until you got to the interview. Anyone experienced this before? I think it's really inconsiderate as I would have never applied.
If you are an experienced job hunter, you can tell by the job description whether travel is going to be part of the requirements. Most consultant jobs travel. Most sales jobs travel.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
It was likely a clerical error because they likely use similar postings for similar job listings that don't have travel and was forgot to be mentioned. However it is something you would have to keep in the back of your mind if you get an offer. I'm not saying to ask for a high-ball above the range but definitely look to get the higher part of the range or walk as a "make good"

Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 PM

587 posts, read 916,195 times
I am aware of one company which intentionally misleads candidates with this. They don't disclose during the interview, though. They wait until you've accepted the job.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
I have experienced similar. I applied for a job which only said that a candidate need to be willing to travel. So I applied for it anyway, because I don't mind extensive short term travel for a couple years. However, in reality it meant extensive long term travel and evening work when you are home. They also mentioned that it was really important that I stayed there a long time and asked me if I see myself working for them in 10 years.

However, once I asked about opportunities to advance then they didn't have a proper answer. I was the only candidate for two positions (others either refused, or weren't qualified). They said I had to wait, because they prefer at least 3 applicants to choose between. So this job pays below market value, has no career potential, and would be totally incompatible with family life and they expect me to stay there for 10 years. I sent them an email after the interview that I was not interested.

I think jobs who don't disclose important information like that, do it because they get very few applicants. You will be less likely to reject a job offer, compared to not applying for the job at all.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
They said I had to wait, because they prefer at least 3 applicants to choose between.
This is business code for: You are not really qualified for the job, but if no one else wants to apply we may have to consider you.

There is no mention of what the job was for that required 50% travel time. There are many jobs as pointed out by others, that travel would be a normal part of the job and anyone that was really qualified for the job would have known that before they applied for the job. The company would not have even thought to put that in the ad, as qualified applicants would have known that was part of the job, and only 50% travel would be less than most travel for such a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment