Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,824,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
At least with an more mature job seeker you don't have to worry about them jumping ship when a higher better offer comes along in a year or two
Yeah, people who take higher and better offers are suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Recently the organization I work for has been bringing lots of people in for job interviews. I see them sitting in their suits waiting in the lobby and so many of them recently seem so old. I hear from HR that many of the applicants who have come in are 55-65 years old and have been out of work for a long time. Many just seem so old and I wonder if they will ever work again in a professional full time job.

The hiring managers have not been to encouraging for these long term unemployed older men, so far none of them are being hired. Instead we are hiring people in their prime years (their 30s). There seems to be a preference for applicants in their 30s. Young enough to be full of energy and drive, but mature enough to understand business and how to behave in the office.

When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game. Did they ever realize it would come to this 20 years later?
Probably not....But because you now do, you are ahead of the game...Make the best business/career choices that you can....so you are not one of them years from now! I appreciate your empathy.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 PM

3,341 posts, read 1,973,486 times
Default Had to rep this

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Well if I had a company which I don't I would hire a sprinkle of this and a sprinkle of that. A nice variety, an onion scented breathed receptionist of obese proportions and a irritating yet motherly accent, in her late 50's. A young salesman with a freckled faced demeanor and bright eyed sparkle. An over coated old man who drinks his coffee black and won;t speak to anyone till 10am after he wakes up a bit. Also a gay man with red colored framed glasses who acts 20 years his junior and we all think of him as 36 even though he is 55. He entertains us with stories from his design business he has on the side.
Ah nice vision.
post of the day, yessiree

Old 02-25-2015, 06:01 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,249,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ugh. Well, all you can do is hold onto that job now that you have it, because soon you'll be the one in your twenty year overcoat, sadly sitting in the waiting room, with nobody having any intention of hiring you.
Here is how it works.
A company lays off 100 people. 50 are under 40 fifty are over 39. They spread it out so that they don't get sued. The 50 under 40 find new jobs relatively quickly. Those over 39 find jobs slowly. Those over 49 don't find jobs at all.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
If they've worked in a good office job for decades, why don't they have enough $$ saved to retire already?
Whatever they saved, they have probably used to live off of after unemployment ran out since most do not qualify age wise for social security and retirement withdrawals.
Some lose everything they have, winding up homeless or moving in with their kids. Some commit suicide (the CDC has stats showing the rise).

Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 9,317,843 times
Quote:
Not all older workers are so sad, but this group is and the hiring managers at my employer agree.
Seems you fit right in with your company with this bigoted statement coming from you:
Quote:
When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game.
Maybe you will get a taste of what it is like in about 20 years. Just remember in the law of averages often what goes around, comes around.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Totally agreed older workers who are down on their luck can also depress everyone else. The situation is depressing.

The twenty year old coats aren't doing them any favors.
More stereotyping of older workers. You should be ashamed of yourself. Sounds like you and the OP should have an older workers bashing party. Compassionate humans do not make fun of people down on their luck but I see why you would know nothing about that.

Too bad you can't ask any of my new co-workers if I am depressing anyone. Everyone from the manager and supervisor on down they are thrilled to have me. I might add that I am at the top of my game turning 60 in a few weeks.

Last edited by John13; 02-25-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
If they've worked in a good office job for decades, why don't they have enough $$ saved to retire already?
You can't be that ignorant, or are you?

Divorce, downturn in the economy, and very expensive health issues are 3 off the top. And as poster midtown mile girl accurately pointed out unemployment is temporary, not enough to live on, and it is too early to collect SS benefits.

I can't believe I had to spell that out for anyone.

Last edited by John13; 02-25-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,225,417 times
It goes without saying that your primary earning years are just those 20 years or so, between 25 and 45. Before that, you should be busy preparing yourself for a glorious 20 year career.

In those 20 years, you should earn as much as you can, as expand your career as much as possible. The goal is to be able to generate passive income by the time you reach 50.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,315,641 times
Quote:
I am 39 years old, at the end of my core years in the world of employment. Thanks for asking though!
38 is the age where my husband figured out it was over. We started our own business soon after that..... best thing we ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment