Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hahahaha! They smell of cabbage.

Come on y'all. This guy is most certainly a troll. This is a laundry list of troll post. Old people, tired, boring, grey, etc. Too bad they aren't in wheelchairs or he'd hit the trifecta.

This is how I know you are flat out lying. No human resource manager on the planet would admit to not hiring someone because they were tired and sad which is related to them being old.

Get out of your parents basement and come see the sunlight. Go for a walk, talk to a girl. It's time to get back into society.
I am an HR Director at a tech company in the Silicon Valley and have never faced discrimination based on age (i am a Baby Boomer who sometimes wears a 5-year-old Burberry raincoat). I have never discussed applicants with any employees, and never, ever make negative comments about age, etc. because that is the epitome of unprofessionalism and would be grounds for firing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 PM

183 posts, read 292,657 times
Why not you try using your earnings and savings you have to invest on something or start your own small business from home. If you have experience then why wasting dear.
Watching older people being rejected and feeling sad isn't going to get you something unless you start watching out your future yourself.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:39 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
The hiring managers have not been to encouraging for these long term unemployed older men, so far none of them are being hired. Instead we are hiring people in their prime years (their 30s). There seems to be a preference for applicants in their 30s. Young enough to be full of energy and drive, but mature enough to understand business and how to behave in the office.

And willing to put up with all of the B.S. the company throws at them and not complain. And not be intimidating due to 30-40 years experience in the workforce and education to match. And by the way, people in their 50s know how to behave in the office, they're just not going to tell you it's raining when you're p*****g on their leg.

When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game. Did they ever realize it would come to this 20 years later?

Probably not. They never thought their companies would "sell out" and move businesses offshore whilst giving away domestic jobs to the lowest bidder even if the lowest bidder wasn't in the country legally.
Yes, and there used to be loyalty to employees, and of course the employees were loyal right back.

A person would work for a company many years to get that gold watch. Now there is no loyalty on the part of the employer, and any employee who is blindly loyal to a company without realizing they can lose their job at any time is a fool.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:40 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
I am an HR Director at a tech company in the Silicon Valley and have never faced discrimination based on age (i am a Baby Boomer who sometimes wears a 5-year-old Burberry raincoat). I have never discussed applicants with any employees, and never, ever make negative comments about age, etc. because that is the epitome of unprofessionalism and would be grounds for firing.
But it's only 5 years old, not 20

Old 02-27-2015, 05:32 AM

6 posts, read 4,641 times
when you've been around a while, you will see employers do this to 50+ yr olds (lay-offs, reduced work force, etc.) because these tenured folks get the most paid time off (vacation accruals YOY) and have the highest salaries in the organization. Many have skills and experience, but in a competitive US workforce, the employer evaluates how much each employee contributes to the earning potential of an organization and for middle and upper management, it's brutal. Add to that a workforce that needs to be fluent in many technologies, adept at learning new processes, etc. the preference is for younger, current-minded individuals to step in and work for 1/2 the rate (and benefits cost) per 50 year old. It's called 'aging out the workforce' and when you get to be in your mid-50s, you will also experience it. Organizations do not want to pay pensions (where still offered) and that is also a factor that nearly guarantees one being 'downsized' before those benefits can come into play.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Whatever they saved, they have probably used to live off of after unemployment ran out since most do not qualify age wise for social security and retirement withdrawals.
Some lose everything they have, winding up homeless or moving in with their kids. Some commit suicide (the CDC has stats showing the rise).
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You can't be that ignorant, or are you?

Divorce, downturn in the economy, and very expensive health issues are 3 off the top. And as poster midtown mile girl accurately pointed out unemployment is temporary, not enough to live on, and it is too early to collect SS benefits.

I can't believe I had to spell that out for anyone.
Exactly! I hate when people post threads like this. Maybe we should have a thread where people think of solutions, rather than what seems like a "why don't they just die way too soon and get out of the way".

You probably almost have to be of that age (I'm in my late 40s and somewhat like these people, I tried to change careers and have strung by with a lot of p/t and/or temporary jobs in my new field) to understand this reference (or be a sci-fi historian) but it sounds like "Logan's Run" is alive and well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
38 is the age where my husband figured out it was over. We started our own business soon after that..... best thing we ever did.
Sad that in this day and age the working world considers it "over" so soon.......maybe it was a different perspective (i.e. when you're say 25, 40 seems "ancient") but it didn't seem that way 20 years ago.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:03 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Recently the organization I work for has been bringing lots of people in for job interviews. I see them sitting in their suits waiting in the lobby and so many of them recently seem so old. I hear from HR that many of the applicants who have come in are 55-65 years old and have been out of work for a long time. Many just seem so old and I wonder if they will ever work again in a professional full time job.

The hiring managers have not been to encouraging for these long term unemployed older men, so far none of them are being hired. Instead we are hiring people in their prime years (their 30s). There seems to be a preference for applicants in their 30s. Young enough to be full of energy and drive, but mature enough to understand business and how to behave in the office.

When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game. Did they ever realize it would come to this 20 years later?
I didn't. I saw the signs but I thought I was special I guess. Life goes on though and companies are missing out on what the best have to offer them. It's their loss, not ours.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Recently the organization I work for has been bringing lots of people in for job interviews. I see them sitting in their suits waiting in the lobby and so many of them recently seem so old. I hear from HR that many of the applicants who have come in are 55-65 years old and have been out of work for a long time. Many just seem so old and I wonder if they will ever work again in a professional full time job.

Couldn't agree more, and I know where-of I speak. I'm 55 plus and have yet to find another job since I got laid off from my previous one thanks to the great recession. I have a 55 year-old friend who is in the same predicament - worked as a professional until getting laid off due to a series of cut-backs. He can't find any work either, and things are looking pretty grim for him. To all those who think the op was amusing or untrue, just you wait. Age is going to catch up with you as well, and it could be you sitting outside HR waiting for yet another pointless interview.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
If it's any consolation to the people upset by this thread, the op posted previously that he's in his 30's - prime age to be hired, according to him. But then, sadly, he also posted that it took him forever to land a job. In his prime????? Wonder what the problem is.

I suppose he doesn't realize that if you're struggling to find work when you're in your prime - you're not going to find it at all when you're old and sad at 50.

Karma.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If it's any consolation to the people upset by this thread, the op posted previously that he's in his 30's - prime age to be hired, according to him. But then, sadly, he also posted that it took him forever to land a job. In his prime????? Wonder what the problem is.

I suppose he doesn't realize that if you're struggling to find work when you're in your prime - you're not going to find it at all when you're old and sad at 50.

Karma.
The OP's attitude, whether he be in his so-called prime or younger, is why it took him "forever" to find a job. It is difficult to hide snark from the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment