Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:36 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,125,207 times

Advertisements

Loudmouth,

Why haven't you answered my question?

I am curious as to how many years have you worked at your current employer? At 39, do you think you'll still be working there in your 50's? Do you have a consistent work history since your 20's? Are you vested for any pensions? Do you have a family and a mortgage? Do you totally support yourself?

It's rare in today's society to not have life slap you in the face.

You seem like you must have a boatload of money saved for when you do lose your job someday and good for you pal.

It must be awesome to know for sure at 39, that you won't be walking in their shoes when you're in your 50's.

China?? My brother has lived in China for 3 years now. He's retired and still a US citizen. He's not allowed to get a job there because he's not a Chinese citizen. His FIL is 67 and still working. His in-laws do not live with them. I will tell you that Chinese people do respect and admire the older generation. Too bad that's not coming to the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Here is how it works.
A company lays off 100 people. 50 are under 40 fifty are over 39. They spread it out so that they don't get sued. The 50 under 40 find new jobs relatively quickly. Those over 39 find jobs slowly. Those over 49 don't find jobs at all.
Some companies don't do that now. They just lay off a bunch of people over 50 and make them sign an agreement giving up their rights to sue the company for any and all reasons in order to get severance pay. The severance pay offered is usually desperately needed, so most of the people who are being age discriminated against sign away their right to sue, as a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Loudmouth,

I am curious as to how many years have you worked at your current employer? At 39, do you think you'll still be working there in your 50's? Do you have a consistent work history since your 20's? Are you vested for any pensions? Do you have a family and a mortgage? Do you totally support yourself?

You seem like you must have a boatload of money saved for when you do lose your job someday and good for you pal.

It must be awesome to know for sure at 39, that you won't be walking in their shoes when you're in your 50's.

China?? My brother has lived in China for 3 years now. He's retired and still a US citizen. He's not allowed to get a job there because he's not a Chinese citizen. His FIL is 67 and still working. His in-laws do not live with them. I will tell you that Chinese people do respect and admire the older generation. Too bad that's not coming to the US!
Depends on what they're doing. My daughter works in China teaching English to children. Agree with the rest of your I post. Too many in the US see older people as problems.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:48 PM

660 posts, read 1,007,266 times
Default Just Wait!

Yeah -- and soon enough you and all of the other 30 somethings will be in the same boat. Better save every penny -- the only answer is having millions to retire on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Recently the organization I work for has been bringing lots of people in for job interviews. I see them sitting in their suits waiting in the lobby and so many of them recently seem so old. I hear from HR that many of the applicants who have come in are 55-65 years old and have been out of work for a long time. Many just seem so old and I wonder if they will ever work again in a professional full time job.

The hiring managers have not been to encouraging for these long term unemployed older men, so far none of them are being hired. Instead we are hiring people in their prime years (their 30s). There seems to be a preference for applicants in their 30s. Young enough to be full of energy and drive, but mature enough to understand business and how to behave in the office.

When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game. Did they ever realize it would come to this 20 years later?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Yeah -- and soon enough you and all of the other 30 somethings will be in the same boat. Better save every penny -- the only answer is having millions to retire on.
They'll be there long before they're 55. Automation will replace most within 10 years.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,524 times
Quote:
When I went to China I talked to a number of people about work and they all told me that in most cases Mom and Dad are forced to leave the workforce at about age fifty and move in with the kids who support them. There are not enough jobs in China for everyone so they push you out at age 50. I understand this is quite common all over the world. Coming soon universally in America.
Yeah, about the time you hit 50. Better have some kids fast who can support you and mama when you are timed-out of the workforce.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,787 times
Quote:
When I went to China I talked to a number of people about work and they all told me that in most cases Mom and Dad are forced to leave the workforce at about age fifty and move in with the kids who support them. There are not enough jobs in China for everyone so they push you out at age 50. I understand this is quite common all over the world. Coming soon universally in America.

Actually you are likely very much wrong and just a loudmouth as your moniker so proudly announces. At current unemployment levels (5.8 with 5.5 being considered "normal") and with demographics shifting (US birthrate dropping below 2.1) and taking into account that current job openings (5 million - the highest since these stats began being recorded) and with baby boomers leaving the workforce in droves, there is a very strong probability that there will very soon be a labor force shortage.

Ironically, since birth rates are also dropping and conditions improving in places like Mexico, we may not be able to count on that cheap labor supply much longer either. Soon all these debates on immigration and minimum wages may be utterly moot, as employers struggle to raise wages attracting competent workers. We may long for the "good ol' days" of cheap farm workers and restaurant help, along with skilled labor shortages. This trend is being documented presently by Stratfor, Morningstar and many other credible sources. Spend more time Googling and less time denigrating the downtrodden and you might actually learn something.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Only if you're an incompetent boob who had trouble finding a job while still in your "prime" years - the 30's.

Geeze, I hope for your sake you have kids.
I hope for all our sakes, he doesn't.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
So in your early 30s is where things at? Finding FTE for recent grads in their 20s is still nonexistent?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 AM

63 posts, read 81,119 times
Here are the answers to your questions:

I have been with my current employer for five years. I have been fired a couple times and no, I have a spotty work history. I have no pension and only $150K in my 401k. My wife and I have no kids living at home and our salaries cover our living expenses with room to save $1000 a month.

I expect to be having the same struggles finding a job when I am in my fifties as they are. I think age discrimination will be worse in twenty years.

Again, I am sad when I see older workers unemployed, like these men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Loudmouth,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment