Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:15 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,492 times

Advertisements

OP, unless HR is being very unprofessional and telling you confidential information about the applicants, there is no way you would know these older applicants are unemployed. They may well be employed and just looking for a different job. Just because they are older, doesn't mean they've stopped looking for new opportunities.

And if your HR department is blabbing confidential applicant info, just remember those that gossip with you will also gossip about you. If HR is doing this, they are not professional AT ALL.

Lastly, OP in 20 years you will be one of those older workers. Have a little compassion. Your time will come, sooner than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:26 PM

63 posts, read 81,119 times
Didn't you see the title of my original post about the sad unemployed older folks made me sad?
Yes, the recruiters and hiring managers told everyone who would listen that they did not hire the older applicants because they seemed tired and sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
OP, unless HR is being very unprofessional and telling you confidential information about the applicants, there is no way you would know these older applicants are unemployed. They may well be employed and just looking for a different job. Just because they are older, doesn't mean they've stopped looking for new opportunities.

And if your HR department is blabbing confidential applicant info, just remember those that gossip with you will also gossip about you. If HR is doing this, they are not professional AT ALL.

Lastly, OP in 20 years you will be one of those older workers. Have a little compassion. Your time will come, sooner than you think.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Where I work the "older" employees work circles around the "younger" ones. I mean, seriously they do.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:42 PM

63 posts, read 81,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Where I work the "older" employees work circles around the "younger" ones. I mean, seriously they do.
They might but stats say that if you are over 50 it will take you a lot long to get a new job after a layoff, so the young hotshots who make hiring decisions at many companies disagree with you.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
They might but stats say that if you are over 50 it will take you a lot long to get a new job after a layoff, so the young hotshots who make hiring decisions at many companies disagree with you.

Of course it will take longer. There are fewer higher level and higher paying positions than lower ones to be hired into.

And most hiring decisions in most places aren't made by "young hotshots".

Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Didn't you see the title of my original post about the sad unemployed older folks made me sad?
Yes, the recruiters and hiring managers told everyone who would listen that they did not hire the older applicants because they seemed tired and sad.
Then back to my original question. If they have no intentions of hiring older applicants why are they even bothering to interview them?

You may not realize it but for most older unemployed people, getting an actual interview these days can be difficult. Even a phone interview is sometimes hard to come by.

Best you stop digging, this entire thing seems more of a figment of your imagination than anything else.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 PM

244 posts, read 248,396 times
I feel like the OP accidentally opened the door to Oklahoma in 1932. OP, have you been reading The Grapes of Wrath by chance? Or perhaps you work at your local Union Gospel Mission? Your imagery is...vivid...to say the least.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,900 times
Quote:
When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game. Did they ever realize it would come to this 20 years later?

While we sad old men appreciate your sentiments, we don't want or need your--or anyone's--pity. We just need a fair shot at the open positions. If you want to see where I can go to help your firm, just look at where I've been. In my case--and many others'--past performance IS an indicator of future performance.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:31 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,546,929 times
Default Aw give the OP a break!

I think OP is sympathetic, just the mellow dramatic way some of it was written opened the door to armchair comedians.

But it's scary out there for over 50's...

Okay, check this out! True story!!!...

My best friend's husband who's been a programmer for years, almost got sacked a little over ago due to the fact that the project he had been working on for a few years (I believe his company works on a lot of government contracts so it's been project by project) was coming to an end. A few months prior to that, a new supervisor came into his group who was younger and seemed very "distant" and didn't care how long the employees had been with the company. So my friend's husband was getting concerned because he was no longer getting any positive feedback in fact no feedback at all, pretty much ignored and he started seeing people, usually older, being let go when their projects ended. In the meantime, the new supervisor brought in some fresh blood and of course they were younger.

Anyway, to make a long story short, he had been very stressed out and depressed by what he saw happening, and he started getting short of breath with weird heartbeats so he went to see his doc who ordered some blood work and a stress test, and guess what? He went straight to the hospital for a heart bypass! It was in the area of the heart that was very dangerous known as "the widow maker!"

So this happened about 2 weeks shy of when his project was about to end, and it was pretty clear to him that, it would most likely be the end of his job. However... he took his medical leave and when he went back to work, he ended up being transferred to another department away from the young cold supervisor and now he's doing fine with challenging work and his coworkers and new supervisor really appreciates him!

My friend, (his wife) said it's really strange how almost losing his life most likely saved his job. Crazy huh??

BTW, he was almost 57 when he had his surgery.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,203,652 times
A lot of people in their 50's got laid off post recession. It's crazy because they're not old enough to retire and many still have mortgages and other bills to pay. Plus there is a huge discrimination against older workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment